PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele won't tune properly

youkalay
01-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi! I am new to ukulele and just received one for christmas. In fairness it is a cheap ukulele but I can't seem to tune it properly. Even when the individual strings are tuned some of the chords still sound wrong, especially the g chord. It is odd because the c chord and Am are fine. Is this a problem with the strings or is it the ukulele itself?

Thanks very much :)

chris667
01-01-2013, 09:37 AM
It's very hard to tell if it's a problem with the ukulele without looking at it.

Is it your first go at playing a ukulele? Are you pressing the strings down properly?

wallyboy
01-01-2013, 09:45 AM
Hi! I am new to ukulele and just received one for christmas. In fairness it is a cheap ukulele but I can't seem to tune it properly. Even when the individual strings are tuned some of the chords still sound wrong, especially the g chord. It is odd because the c chord and Am are fine. Is this a problem with the strings or is it the ukulele itself?

is the g string loose, if it is try winding it up an octave,

bildio
01-01-2013, 09:51 AM
Perhaps one of the left hand fingers is touching a string that it shouldn't. Try playing the individual strings while fingering the G chord. Listen if each individual string sounds okay.

youkalay
01-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all replying so quickly!

I've never owned my own ukulele but I used to borrow a friends occasionally and hers never did this.

I think the g string is tight enough. When I played the notes seperately it seemed to be the the c string that is off. But it sounds fine in other chords. I have retuned it a couple of times and also got my friend who has a good ear for that to tune it, but it still sounds odd in the g chord.

The strings are only nylon so should I just put it down to that? And if so will they improve as they stretch?

philrab66
01-01-2013, 10:20 AM

Check it with an online tuner.

wallyboy
01-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all replying so quickly!

I've never owned my own ukulele but I used to borrow a friends occasionally and hers never did this.

I think the g string is tight enough. When I played the notes seperately it seemed to be the the c string that is off. But it sounds fine in other chords. I have retuned it a couple of times and also got my friend who has a good ear for that to tune it, but it still sounds odd in the g chord.

The strings are only nylon so should I just put it down to that? And if so will they improve as they stretch?
if uke is new it will take a bit of time for strings to bed in, but as said check with online tuner, or invest in one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qwik-Tune-Snark-Ukulele-Tuner/dp/B004Z17008/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357075335&sr=8-3

youkalay
01-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Yeah I think I will get a tuner and hopefully it will work out. Just frustrating how some of the chords sound ok and others don't! Thanks for all of your help everyone.

patfia
01-01-2013, 11:12 AM
If you have a smartphone, there are tuner apps. I have DaTuner on Android. I'm sure there's something on iPhone.

OldePhart
01-01-2013, 11:16 AM
This is very common on an inexpensive ukulele. It needs a "setup." Most of a "setup" on a ukulele involves getting the slots in the nut the right depth for each string. Right now what you've got is some (perhaps all) of the strings are too high so when you finger the strings at the first couple of frets the note goes quite sharp. The C and the Am are "fine" because you are fretting only one string and not at the first fret.

Also, many beginners apply a "death grip" when fretting and that can make even a properly adjusted uke pull sharp a bit. You want to use just enough pressure so the fretted strings sound clearly and aren't muffled or buzzing (don't expect them to ring as long as an open string - open strings ring forever). You won't get tired as quickly if you fret lightly and you won't be so prone to pulling notes sharp (though until the ukulele is set up it will probably pull sharp anyway, just not as disastrously as with a death grip).

Welcome to UU, BTW.

John

Tootler
01-01-2013, 12:39 PM
This is very common on an inexpensive ukulele. It needs a "setup." Most of a "setup" on a ukulele involves getting the slots in the nut the right depth for each string. Right now what you've got is some (perhaps all) of the strings are too high so when you finger the strings at the first couple of frets the note goes quite sharp. The C and the Am are "fine" because you are fretting only one string and not at the first fret.

Also, many beginners apply a "death grip" when fretting and that can make even a properly adjusted uke pull sharp a bit. You want to use just enough pressure so the fretted strings sound clearly and aren't muffled or buzzing (don't expect them to ring as long as an open string - open strings ring forever). You won't get tired as quickly if you fret lightly and you won't be so prone to pulling notes sharp (though until the ukulele is set up it will probably pull sharp anyway, just not as disastrously as with a death grip).

Welcome to UU, BTW.

John

In addition, cheap ukes come with dreadful quality cheap strings which can aggravate the problems described above. Change your strings for a set of better quality ones. Aquila are usually a good bet on cheap ukes. It won't cure all your problems and the set up will still need doing but it is surprising the improvement a set of decent strings will make and they're not expensive either.

youkalay
01-02-2013, 10:01 AM

Welcome to UU, BTW.

John

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.I think I might take the advice of the poster below and get some new strings too.

Youkalaylee
01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Not sure if others have said but most new ukuleles need to be tuned regularly, say every 10 minutes, for the first couple hours of use. I had a cheap nasty soprano (see my sig lol) and I had even after having it a few weeks I had to retune every 30mins because it just couldn't stay right.

hoosierhiver
01-04-2013, 12:53 PM
try this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tD2kZO_Tc0