Anyone have experience with Ukulele Hotline?

jjdejd

Reaction score
Interested in their uke setup ability. Also, looking ar HMS in Hawaaii. Settled on a Pono and trying to decide which vendor. Uke Hotline is $100+ cheaper???

Never heard of Ukulele Hotline but just about everybody on this forum will tell you that HMS is very hard to beat for quality, service, and timeliness.

Ukulele hotline is Reno's Music in Fishers, Indiana. I'd call them up and ask if they do set up. Since it mentioned no where on the site, my guess would be it costs extra if they do it.

Of course a Pono shouldn't really need a setup - at least not the solid-wood models. They are all set up by the Ko'Olau factory techs in Hawaii and they did a pretty darn good job on my baritone. :)

That said, I'd still rely on the reputation of HMS - also, make sure you're comparing apples with apples - some of the Pono models that HMS carries include a very nice hardcase and free shipping. Those two things can easily add up to $100 (the case alone is around 90). If the HMS one has the case and the shipping is free and the other vendor charges extra for the case and shipping...

Also, some vendors will "separate" a case that the manufacturer supplies with a uke from the uke so they can advertise a lowball price - then by the time you add on the case (which they know most buyers are going to want) the price is right back up with the other guys. I'm not accusing ukulele hotline of this - as I said I'd never heard of them until now - but it is something you need to watch for. Myself, when I catch a vendor doing that they go on my "do not consider ever doing business with" list really quick. :)

John

Last edited:
It could also be a Pono second as well, being sold as a brand new one. Although my Pono MC second was set up perfectly out of the box.

Top Bottom