Arizona and humidity case question

SinisterUke

Reaction score
Hello, I'm thinking of picking up my first soild top or solid ukulele and since I'm living in Phoenix with low humidity I had a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find a solid answer for.

I've pretty much decided that I'll be picking up a Kala tenor (not sure what model yet other than it will be solid top or solid body). I know I'll need to get a case and an in-case humidifier due to my location.

From what I've read, it looks like something like the Planet Waves Small Instrument Humidifier is one of the best options for an in-case humidifier. I was thinking of possibly using two of them depending on how well just one does. Does this sound right...or are other in-case humidifiers just as good?

My other question is about the case. I was originally thinking of using the Kala Uke Crazy Tenor Case (not the hard shell). Would this be ok as far as keeping the case humid or should I really go for a hard shell case to keep the humidity in?

Thanks for any help or advise you could give me!

I think hard shell cases work a little better than the foam and canvas "hardfoam" uke crazy cases - but not critically so and I actually prefer the "hardfoam" cases for anything but flying because they are so light (I wouldn't trust them to the tender mercies of an airline baggage thrower, though).

You can make your own humidifiers very easily using "Soil Moist" water crystals from the garden center at your local Lowes or the larger water beads sold at floral shops and small bottles like pill bottles or what have you. I prefer the tubes that glitter comes in because A) I have grandkids to use the glitter and B) they fit nicely between the strings in a uke.

If you use the soil-moist crystals then 1/16" holes in whatever container you use are about perfect. You can leave the humidifiers in a jar of water indefinitely and the extra crystals will "ooze" out through the holes leaving just exactly the right amount of crystal in the container for maximum water holding ability.

John

Oasis Humidifiers

Howdy neighbor

I live in Phoenix, and have used the UkeCrazy cases with the Oasis ukulele humidifiers for about 3 years now. I top off the humidifers once a week. I like the fact that they hang inside the instruments. Check out Acoustic Vibes in Tempe, they carry both the Planet Waves and the Oasis systems for your comparison.

:cheers:

I live in dry Los Angeles, and I like the Oasis OH6 in-case humidifier. Here is my review on three different types of humidifiers.
http://www.westsideukes.com/uke-tal...humidifying-ukuleles-in-west-los-angeles.html
I think the styrofoam hard cases hold the moisture pretty well, but if you are concerned, put a plastic bag around your case for extra protection. I have put plastic around some of my gig bags, because they let more moisture out than the hard cases. If it is super dry you might need two humidifiers to get the uke case up to an acceptable level.

–Lori

Thanks for all the advice, I feel better about going with the Uke Crazy case for now and I think I have been swung to try the Oasis humidifier too!

Top Bottom