PDA

View Full Version : Should I get the Concert Kala KA-CEM or Kala KA-T Tenor?

RobbeUke
01-01-2013, 11:35 AM
I honestly like the sound of both of the Ukes, especially for what a broke college student can afford. However, it really is more a size concern and the ability to play. I am a beginner and have virtually no experience with the guitars or ukes, and am looking for something that would be easier to learn to play, as far as that goes.

Thank You all!

kvehe
01-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Hi, RobbeUke, and welcome to the best uke site! You will get answers to that question that are all over the map, so I'll start the bidding by saying that some people think it's easier to learn on a concert than a tenor, while some think it doesn't make any difference. What everyone does agree on, though, is that it is very important to buy your uke from a dealer who will provide a proper setup so you aren't hampered by technical problems with the uke that could be easily avoided. I've purchased ukes from The Podium in Minneapolis and from Groth in Bloomington, and been quite satisfied with both. If you're thinking of online sales, you can't go wrong with Hawaii Music Supply (HMS), Uke Republic, or Mim (or Mainland, when [not if!] you're in the market for another uke). HMS (theukulelesite.com) has a great video about what goes into a setup and why it's important. It probably doesn't matter a whole lot whether you start with a concert or a tenor, because at some point you'll probably buy the other (!). I personally would choose the concert, but that's just me. Again, welcome, Happy 2013, and let us know what you choose!

RobbeUke
01-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Thank You! I was actually looking to buy them from the Hawaii Music Supply, because I'm out of town right now - and hope to see it on my door step when I arrive back in the Twin Cities. :)

jglover
01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
I agree with Kathryn. I like concert sized ukes the best, they seem to have the best balance in terms of size and playability to me. I was never comfortable with the stretch required for a guitar, even the 3/4 sized ones. A tenor left me feeling the same way and a soprano just seemed to small, so I settled on concerts. However, after a few months of playing i find the soprano to be just as easy to play, though i'm still not sold on the tenor scales yet.

RobbeUke
01-01-2013, 12:20 PM
I do have bigger sized hands, and longer arms. If that helps too.

Nickie
01-01-2013, 12:32 PM
Well, I've tried all the sizes...for me, whether i'm playing alone, or jamming with others, and also carrying this thing around (it's in my lap) I have setteld on the concert size. I like the sound, and it just feels right to me.

kvehe
01-01-2013, 12:37 PM
That would make the tenor more of an option, but I think either would be fine. There are folks with larger hands who have problems with the smaller scale of a soprano, and folks with larger hands who have no trouble with a soprano at all. There are folks with smaller hands who wouldn't trade their tenor for anything. It's the classic case of "it depends", which is, of course, no help at all. In addition to the concert and the tenor, of course, somewhere along the line you'll have to buy a Dolphin :D.

jglover
01-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Bigger hands would seem to indicate either a tenor or concert to begin with. However, bigger hands does not necessarily mean the stretches involved are easier. Your best bet might be to go handle each size. Got a GuitarCenter nearby, go in and try a couple. They really do not care who picks up a uke and hammers away on it, so no pesky salesman hovering over you. :)

While their set up will likely suck, the scale lengths will be consistent so you could see what you feels the best to you.

Louis0815
01-03-2013, 04:30 AM
I do have bigger sized hands, and longer arms. If that helps too.That's not even an excuse for not going for a Soprano size - just look at Peter Brooke Turner from the UOGB (http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/): he is 6'8" and plays nothing but Soprano.

If you have a chance to try out the different scales, do so. If not, go for the Concert. It is not that much bigger than a Soprano but it has just that tiny bit of more space on the fretboard - and once you feel comfortable on a concert neck you'll find soprano not that difficult at all.

TG&Y
01-04-2013, 05:54 AM
Lucky you living in Danielle Ate the Sandwich territory!

If you have a chance, go to a music shop (or pawn shop or something) and try both out for size. As with many here I have soprano, concert and tenor at hand - and like them all - but prefer the concert. One good thing about learning with the concert is that it's not such a muscle-memory-mangler to switch from concert to soprano or concert to tenor. But really it seems you should try some out and see what feels good in your hands. You'll have all three soon enough, unless I miss my guess. We all think UAS is just a cute notion - until it strikes. It will.

(edited to add: I just read Louis0815's 2nd paragraph above. What he said.
And welcome to the board!)