Ancient Spruce and Honduran Rosewood Baritone

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
I don't often post images of my instruments here, but this one is the most exotic one I've built to date. And I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out.

It is a commission where the client allowed me free artistic rein on building something that I would be proud to put my name on. It's surprising how many request to build instruments that I have to turn away because the buyer want's something that I think will end up just plain ugly.

I had an idea of a 1940's cocktail lounge while I was building. And this is what I came up with.

Back and sides - Honduran Rosewood
Top - Ancient Sitka Spruce, carbon dated at 2850 years before present
Neck - Spanish Cedar
Fret Board - Honduran Rosewood, 12" radius
Bridge - Honduran Rosewood
Peg Head Overlay - Ebony
Tuners - Hipshot
Bindings - Figured Jarrah
Pickup - MISI
Strings - South Coast Uke Linear Set (low G)

Ancient Spruce and Honduran Rosewood Baritone Uke-1.jpg Ancient Spruce and Honduran Rosewood Baritone Uke-2.jpg Ancient Spruce and Honduran Rosewood Baritone Uke-4.jpg Ancient Spruce and Honduran Rosewood Baritone Uke-5.jpg Ancient Spruce and Honduran Rosewood Baritone Uke-9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful work! I love the color of the spruce top and the rosette! Thanks for sharing this; your customer is going to love it.

Wow Allen. Easily the most stunning baritone I've ever seen. Congratulations on an amazing build.

That is a beautiful ukulele! The whole package fits together really well. The rosette, the finish, the headstock....wow, that headstock!

I haven't had an opportunity to see any of your instruments before this one, but I'm going to go see what I can find now. Very nice job!

Oooo...purdy! Very interesting rosette. Love those tuners, too.

It is absolutely stunning. Mind telling us how you colored the spruce? Never seen that before and I am absolutely in love with it.

That is very nice! Would love to hear a sound bite!

Beautiful ukulele.

Dumb question, where do you get 3000 year old wood and how does it sound?

It is absolutely stunning. Mind telling us how you colored the spruce? Never seen that before and I am absolutely in love with it.

The top is not coloured at all. I was told that when it was first cut it was the normal color of spruce, but almost immediately the minerals that have permeated the wood oxidise to this blue black color.

Dumb question, where do you get 3000 year old wood and how does it sound?

I got it from Alaska Specialty Woods. They found it when excavating for a new factory. Buried under a landslide that long ago. He had 9 sets on offer and I took 5 of them. Should have taken the lot, but they were pretty pricey. Works and sounds like Red Spruce. Very hard and stiff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Striking wood choice and overall design!

Bruddah Allen, I really like the unusual dark color of your ancient spruce!:shaka:

Here's a video of an Ana'ole Koa Tenor w/Sinker Spruce top, courtesy of HMS. Not a dark solid blue black color, but it is dark and has dark striped grain.

Last edited:
Very nice Allen!

That is just stunning, thanks for posting the pictures. What a special ukulele.

Top Bottom