About mentioning the season

CountryMouse

Reaction score
What is the correct form: do you have to mention what season it is in the actual video? Or can you just have it listed on the title page (which is part of the video)?

I was gently chastised about this and want to know.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

Usually, either the performer has to mention what season it is, or the video has to begin with a little placard saying what season it is. If it takes you several takes to get a good performance of the song, you may forget to say "914th Season of the Ukulele" before every single take, so most hosts will allow videos that start with some sort of title card naming the season. The week's host gets to decide what videos are acceptable. The purpose is really to demonstrate that your entry for that week is a new video you've made for that week.

That's a great question. I've been in the seasons since week one and as I remember it you had to mention the week and the theme at the beginning. During the third week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSP_eIMYUg&list=UUxHfQYzIvVLT__m_zRZOhYQ&index=36 when I was pissed about something I just typed the week and theme on a piece of paper and held it up. I think at the start (correct me if I'm wrong Chrimess) that part of the challenge was getting the intro in along with the take (higher level of difficulty.) As it evolved over the next 43 weeks I have seen people mention it at the start of the video or at the end. I have done it at the end once or twice, especially a particularly difficult week with lots of takes, but I usually get so excited to finish the 100th or so take that I end up flubbing that. So, I guess it depends on each host, but I have found that most hosts are cool about it, as long as it's mentioned somewhere in the video, either written or spoken.

Most Season intros ask for a mention of the week on the video. The purpose is to show that the video was recorded expressly for that week. (Previously recorded videos that apply to the theme are frequently posted as bonuses.) Some people use titles and still make a video mention, which can be also considered a way to let more of your personality show.
Sometimes I get very tired of saying it on my 45th take or so, and I may adopt 29moons' idea of just holding up a title page.

I'm sure you weren't being chastised, but rather just getting a note about one of the traditions in the Seasons. :)

I'm just happy to see members putting in an entry to the week's 'season' so not a stickler for these things.
I certainly wouldn't "chastise" (gently or otherwise) another member because of the way that they indicate that their video was done for "Seasons of the Ukulele".
For this Season (46) I'm more than happy to take what I get really, and I think members generally accommodate the hosts wishes very well (from what I have experienced since participating and what I have seen when delving back through the archives).
Participation and enjoyment are what I would place high up on the list of what is important here.

Hey everyone. Thanks for all your thoughtful answers.

My knee-jerk reaction was, "I thought it was something we do so others on YouTube can see this cool stuff we're doing over on UU and want to come over and join in!". Instead it suddenly felt like an anti-theft device or a security guard following you around in a store to make sure you don't steal anything. In other words, to make sure you're not cheating. Ack! It never really occurred to me to use an older video for a current contest, as that *would* be cheating!

I think it would be a good idea to make a STICKY about what the overall rules are for the Seasons, so others won't get confused about this stuff as I did. And I think all the hosts from here on out should make it clear as to what they will and won't accept about how you mention what season it is.

On "We Three Zombies" (the mash-up season), I thought saying anything at the beginning *or* end would spoil the mood of the song. So I put what season it was on the title page at the front end of the video.

I didn't say anything about the season on our Christmas "Deck the Halls" video, as I already have a Lanakai banjolele (the prize) and was just doing the video for fun. So I put the season up on the title page and we just launched into the song.

As to my "Auld Lang Syne" video: I was in a terrible rush to get that video done and uploaded before someone else took that song, as one of the rules in Season 46 was that if someone else had done a song, you couldn't do it! And I had no idea what other song I would do if I didn't do that one! So again, I put what season it was for on the opening title page at the front end of the video.

As to the competition aspect of the Seasons: I was totally surprised I won anything ("Pretty Polly") and am really in it just to be a part of something, not to be competing. Maybe that's not the right attitude, and maybe this isn't the right place for me. I stopped participating in contests here because everyone else was so much more talented than I and had better video editing capabilities, that I felt there was no use in joining in.

Anyway, I'll try to remember to SAY what season it's for from now on. But I do wish the hosts would make it clear on this so I won't be told after-the-fact (by a random seasonista) "yer doin' it wrong".

Thanks!

CountryMouse

That's a great question. I've been in the seasons since week one and as I remember it you had to mention the week and the theme at the beginning. During the third week http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSP_eIMYUg&list=UUxHfQYzIvVLT__m_zRZOhYQ&index=36 when I was pissed about something I just typed the week and theme on a piece of paper and held it up. I think at the start (correct me if I'm wrong Chrimess) that part of the challenge was getting the intro in along with the take (higher level of difficulty.) As it evolved over the next 43 weeks I have seen people mention it at the start of the video or at the end. I have done it at the end once or twice, especially a particularly difficult week with lots of takes, but I usually get so excited to finish the 100th or so take that I end up flubbing that. So, I guess it depends on each host, but I have found that most hosts are cool about it, as long as it's mentioned somewhere in the video, either written or spoken.

Yep, this. But it is up to the host. There are traditions here, and things are based on what came before, but the ONLY hard and fast rule of the seasons is this: it is up to the host. Looking at 46's rules, for instance, Briz says he's lax on this particular rule specifically.

So, I'm not sure who said what when to you, Mouse, but if the host was cool with it, you were fine. We've had some issues with non-hosting-that-week Seasonistas trying to police threads and feelings get hurt, and then mended and everything gets fine again. But seriously, we all need to realize that this is all up to the host of the week. We talk about this ad nauseum in thread after thread and always come back to the same thing.

Plus, in the end, it's about the music, anyway. The seasons have evolved beyond letter of the law.

Hey everyone. Thanks for all your thoughtful answers.

I think it would be a good idea to make a STICKY about what the overall rules are for the Seasons, so others won't get confused about this stuff as I did. And I think all the hosts from here on out should make it clear as to what they will and won't accept about how you mention what season it is.

CountryMouse

I do think a general "How To Host A Season" sticky could be helpful. With the guidelines that we've talked about in th many threads and thread-drifts: basics of when to post the new season, commenting on entries, traditions that have started to cement, etc. And perhaps a brief history, so newcomers to the seasons have a sense of what they are actually getting into, rather than wandering blindly into it.

P.S. I talked with the person who made the comment to me (who was trying to be helpful and I was being oversensitive), and we've gotten things all straightened out. :) I over-reacted, so please don't think this person was being mean to me.

Yay for the kind people of Ukulele Underground. :)

CountryMouse

Glad it worked out well...There's really no mean people on UU, just smart alecks and people with bad sense of humor! LOL :p

Top Bottom