Humidifiers and Hygrometer

RedViolin

Reaction score
Care for Solid Instruments

1. Where do I put the humidifier (Herco Guitar Humidifier) in the case? Is it suppose to be next to the headstock?

2. When do I know when to refill? Once every two weeks?

I guess this where the hygrometer comes in.

3. Should I buy a hygrometer?

4. If yes, which ones do I buy? There are so many (Oasis, Planet Waves, Caliber III...).

Last edited:
Hi Red,

I'm going to answer in reverse order. The Hygrometer will tell you if you have a problem, so I highly recommend getting one. Oasis makes a nice slim one: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/OGH2.htm or you can pick one up at most any local cigar shop, if such a thing still survives these days. That will tell you when to refill the humidifier. I guess ideally the humidifier should be in the body, since that is where the humidity needs to be but I have my home made ones up by the headstock so I don't have to remove them from my strings when I wnat to play.

Just my opinion and hope this helps

Last edited:
I use the hygrometer from Oasis, and I have liked it. I have had it for 3+ years and it is still going strong. Sometimes I put a Herco in the storage under the neck, or up by the headstock. Ideally, from what I hear, ukuleles like humidity at 50%-60%. I would refill anytime the reading falls lower than maybe 45%. Sometimes it is so dry here that even with a newly filled humidifier, I can't get the reading into that >50% zone. That's when you might add another humidifier, or wrap a plastic bag around your case. Different seasons will require different refill schedules.

–Lori

Hmm, thanks for the help everyone! I've decided to get the two hygrometers (Oasis OH-2 and a "Mini Digital Thermometer Hygrometer Temperature Humidity Gauge") from amazon. With two, I can calibrate one and compare it with the other. But I hope they both accurate because they are quite expensive IMO.

Collings 001.jpgCollings 002.jpg

Redviolin, another option for when you get tired of filling those teensy $18 Oasis humidifiers (which I also use, but only when traveling). :-o

Under bed plastic box and lid $15. Two car wash sponges $2. Two 1-gallon ziplock bags $1 = $18 for two ukes (those are tenors, btw)! Refill once every four months. My house humidity in winter is 21-25%. Inside the storage box? 45-50% Aaaahhhhhhh. Just another way to skin a cat.

Last edited:
View attachment 47194View attachment 47195

Redviolin, another option for when you get tired of filling those teensy $18 Oasis humidifiers (which I also use, but only when traveling). :p

Under bed plastic box and lid $15. Two car wash sponges $2. Two 1-gallon ziplock bags $1 = $18 for two ukes (those are tenors, btw)! Refill once every four months. My house humidity in winter is 21-25%. Inside the storage box? 45-50% Aaaahhhhhhh. Just another way to skin a cat.

Ahh brilliant idea! Cheap and effective. Right now, I actually use the herco guitar humidifier. I don't think the humidity of my room is low but I won't know if my that until the hygrometers home. After I see what the humidity is, I'll decide on which method to humidify.

View attachment 47194View attachment 47195

Redviolin, another option for when you get tired of filling those teensy $18 Oasis humidifiers (which I also use, but only when traveling). :-o

Now why would you worry about humidifying those cheap old ukes?

Living in Reno, NV. has presented many challenges when it comes to maintaining humidity for my ukuleles. Over the years, through trail and error I have discovered what works best now for me. The summer and winter months can be even more challenging. Here is what I do:
1) After playing, the ukulele goes right back into it's hard case
2) I have found the Oasis humidifier to be the best, everyone of my ukes has one. As humidity levels fall, I add a second humidifier.
3) Inexpensive Humidity Gauges can be bought at "Pet Smart" Stores. They are in the reptile section and cost roughly $8. I have a gauge in every case. I also pay attention to weather conditions on my local TV station.
4) I have added stick on weather stripping to the inside of my cases, to make a better seal.
Hope this was helpful

Living in Utah, I've been worried about humidity as well. I've decided to try and humidify my whole house as well. It isn't just ukes that feel better when the humidity is higher. I've had a lot less dry skin and I don't suffer as bad when I get a cold. If you're interested in humidifying a room here's an interesting article that explains room humidification and reviews some humidifiers. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/shopping/2008/01/get_misty_for_me.html (Note: the winning Kenmore humidifier is available with a different brand label at Home Depot).

We tried to keep our house at 50% humidity last winter. It was way too high. The wood trim on the windows took a beating. So I made some humidifiers using floral water beads. I drilled holes in the herco humidifiers after throwing the insides away. I have 2 of those in my case along with 2 hygrometers. I monitor the readings every time I take my ukulele out of the case. It seems to work great.

We tried to keep our house at 50% humidity last winter...

Yeah...a lot of people don't realize how brutal 50% humidity can be in enclosed spaces especially if the temperature is a little too hot or cold for comfort. Just walk into the "nice guitars" room off the acoustic room at a decent guitar store - or even a Guitar Center - that's about 50% humidity at around 75 degrees and it always feels like a sauna to me.

It's funny how 50% humidity and 75 degrees feels wonderful on the beach and miserable in a small room...

John

Yeah...a lot of people don't realize how brutal 50% humidity can be in enclosed spaces especially if the temperature is a little too hot or cold for comfort. Just walk into the "nice guitars" room off the acoustic room at a decent guitar store - or even a Guitar Center - that's about 50% humidity at around 75 degrees and it always feels like a sauna to me.

It's funny how 50% humidity and 75 degrees feels wonderful on the beach and miserable in a small room...

John

I keep my house at 22c which is about 71f, and the humidity here is never below 50% in my house, if the central heating is off then its 60%. And I live in a small flat, lol. But I'm used to it, we keep tropical fish and that contributes.

I use the hygrometer from Oasis, and I have liked it. I have had it for 3+ years and it is still going strong. Sometimes I put a Herco in the storage under the neck, or up by the headstock. Ideally, from what I hear, ukuleles like humidity at 50%-60%. I would refill anytime the reading falls lower than maybe 45%. Sometimes it is so dry here that even with a newly filled humidifier, I can't get the reading into that >50% zone. That's when you might add another humidifier, or wrap a plastic bag around your case. Different seasons will require different refill schedules.

–Lori

I can add from the Ko'olau site section about their Pono ukuleles (http://koolauukulele.com/pono-f-a-q/)

Actually, since the fret is metal it does not really expand or contract, because it does not transpire moisture (no sponge effect). Metal frets do not change in size. But woods change, and in this case, they shrink when they get dry. We build all Ko’olau and Pono guitars and ukuleles in a controlled atmosphere of 40% to 50% humidity. Luthiers have to find a balanced environment to build, knowing their instruments will be going to either dry or moist environments.

Regardless of the weather outside, our factories are controlled, always at the same 40% to 50% humidity level. If your instrument remains in Hawaii, or goes anywhere on the earth where humidity levels are higher than 50% then the fingerboard wood will expand. This is not as bad as when your humidity levels are far below 40% which will cause shrinkage. Taking in moisture and expanding is ok, but shrinking is not.

So I think down to around 40 % should still be fine, at least for my limited experience (about a year with a solid wood instrument in my room) I can say that around 40 % seems to be enough.

Top Bottom