Do I need a better case?

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
I have two ukuleles. I live in Northern California and it doesn't get too cold here but it is pretty dry and we do heat the house. So the air inside does get quite dry. I ordered some soil moist and am going to make some home made humidifiers to put in my uke cases. But I am curious if you would recommend and upgrade in my cases, mostly for humidity retention but also for general storage and protection. I don't play gigs or anything like that. But I will take the uke on short trips from time to time.

uke 1, kala KA-FMT. Solid wood top, laminate sides and back. Not a high end uke but I am quite happy with the sound and will probably have it for a long time. I just have a soft kala gig bag for it. If i were to get a hard case I would probably get a kala tweed case.

uke 2, vintage favilla baritone. I have an original case for it but the case has seen better days and it is really flimsy. I really want to protect this one but having two cases for one ukulele seems a little silly and I am not going to get rid of the one i have. I have no idea what case I would get for this. Any recommendations?

Thanks

I like the Max cases --not fancy, but sturdy, light enough though with firm, solid foam padding that is not flimsy, and the pockets hold a lot of music books and even a small music stand. The nylon is easy to wipe clean. I prefer it to a rigid case as it's easier to carry, for m. As to humidification, I happen to like the digital kind because I am techy and like the info on humidity levels. Neither is very expensive and I prefer a separate humidifier as then I can change cases as I prefer.

I LIKE the poly foam (kind of a cross between a hard case and a soft case) cases. THe zipper all round means its not opening on impact spilling the ukulele out just when it needs protection and the foam provides some impact protection. I'm concerned that most plywood hardcases when put to the test would warp, unlatch and spill their precious cargo just when you didn't want them too. Some high end, well designed ABS hardshell cases may be stronger but they cost $$$.

Anthony

Thanks. Yes, the Ameritage cases look pretty nice but would cost as much as the ukeleles themselves! But I appreciate hearing what other people use to protect their instruments.

Anyone have a new case for a favilla?

Thanks. Yes, the Ameritage cases look pretty nice but would cost as much as the ukeleles themselves! But I appreciate hearing what other people use to protect their instruments.

There are some great threads on ukulele cases and reviews on the forum. I usually use my topic with ukulele underground after it in a google search to pull up the threads. Best of luck on your search.

What part of Calif are you in..many shops in Northern Calif..

you can not go wrong ordering from The Ukulele Site(aka HMS) call them and tell Andrew/Mike what kind of uke you have ..they know exactly which uke fits in which case>>

Last edited:
Tonight I found hard uke cases for like $45 at Musicians Friend--their brand, I think. They look like a nice plywood/vinyl/plush...pretty typical but way cheap.

Top Bottom