My Banjo Ukulele Project

Kevin B

Reaction score
I'm going to try to share my foray into making a banjo uke.

My main banjos are five string banjos. I’ve played the five string since 1976. However, having learned that my grandmother played the banjo ukulele in the 20’s and 30’s I was moved to add that to my arsenal (I have always liked some of the old twenties songs and depression era songs).
I ordered a cheap ukulele to see if I could pick up playing a uke. Then I bought a twenties banjo uke off Ebay that was almost a toy. I planned to sacrifice the neck but it turned out to be a very playable instrument.

Wanting a better banjo uke I ordered an import which was backordered multiple time. While waiting for the other I built a rim. Once I realized this was a viable rim I cancelled the import order.

I had a scrap of flexible hardwood plywood. I ripped it to the same height as my soprano uke. The plywood has two layers oriented vertical and a paper-thin layer oriented horizontally. I found a piece of PVC pipe roughly 6 9/16” OD. Then wrapping one layer of the plywood around I sanded the end until I had a tight fairly flush joint. I used three staples at the joint to hold that layer together (I drove them in below the surface). Then I followed the same procedure, wrapped a second layer around the first, and glued that layer with Titebond. Next I used six hose clamps to make two clamping bands to hold it all together (all I had but you can get a single 9” clamp). I clamped it for up for 48 hours. Next unclamped the rim and pushed the PVC out with relative ease.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I ordered hardware kit from Mainland Ukulele. It had the 8” head, stretcher band, some hooks, lugs and a tailpiece.
The friction tuners went to my Schoenhut Ebay banjo uke. I did not like the tailpiece and did not use it. I ordered more lugs and hooks off Ebay to make my uke a 12-hook unit.

attachment.php

The rim was stained to approximate the final color intended for the neck. All staining for the banjo was done with Fieblings alcohol based leather dye. Stewart MacDonald Color tone sanding sealer and instrument lacquer (all aerosol) was used for finishing of the neck and rim.

attachment.php

Note, the tone hoop is a brass plated steel ring from Hobby Lobby that is a perfect 8” in diameter and was less than $2. It acts as a bearing to keep the head off the rim and increase the vibrating surface. An alternative approach would have been to bevel the top of the rim.

The neck came from Waldron music. I also got the fretboard and fret wire from Waldron Music http://www.waldronmusic.com/index.php?osCsid=2l2600v0i4np6js9rn5m36t1r1

attachment.php

The heel was profiled by tracing the rime and tension hoop onto the heel area. I roughed the radius in with a handheld sanding drum (2”) from Craftsman. Then I constructed a sanding block of the exact radius as my rim (I really used the same material. While at it I found some PVC that had the right radius for the peg head too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I pinned the fretboard following Kevin Waldron's expert advise.

The heel cap, PH overlay and fretboard were glued on and profiled.

attachment.php

Well. as so many are wont to say...

"Pictures, or it didn't happen".

Meaning: I wanna see what you did!

It sounds very cool.

(As an owner of a 1920s banjo uke I got at a pawn shop 35 +/- years ago - as wall art- who found out less than 2 years ago I had a playable instrument, Welcome To The Club!)

-Kurt​

I have submitted pictures of the neck with a post but I think it is in moderation limbo.

Next, I fretted the neck and put the banjo together.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The resonator was made from a 1/3 sheet of 1/8” plywood from the Home Depot bargain bin. I finished it like the rest of the banjo. I consider threaded in serts in the rim, magnets and etc. to mount the resonator. Ultimately I cross drilled a ¼” coupling nut for the threaded rod to go thru. One side of the ¼” thread serves as a setscrew location to hold the nut in the center of the coordinator rod. The other side receives the center mount resonator bolt. The resonator gap (space) is accomplished with self-adhesive felt pads.

attachment.php

The result is a very solid banjo uke and it has good sound.

Wow! Those must have been SOME pictures!

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I know I opened myself up with that one. :D
Thank you to the moderator for helping me get the post to show up.

I am not sure if I can put sound files here at the Ukulele Underground. This is a post I made at the Banjo Hangout that links to sound files of my new banjo uke that are stored there. http://www.banjohangout.org/topic/252827 My uke playing isn't too good but you can hear the banjo uke played barehanded and with a felt pick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom