PDA

View Full Version : Banjo Ukelele

bass5snake
01-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Hello folks,

Just wanted to know what your thoughts on banjo ukeleles in general? Pros and cons compare to a normal uke.

I'm looking at a 1929 Gibson one. How much do they cost?

thanks,

Richie

PhilUSAFRet
01-03-2013, 04:30 AM
Hmmmm, tricky question. Tuned like a regular uke, but often has a higher action, different weight (sometimes very heavy), different sound, volume. However, that being said, if you want some banjo sounds and don't want to learn to play a regular banjo, knock yourself out. I have a concert size and like it a lot. Will likely have to learn some different picking patterns which can also be used on a "regular" uke

bass5snake
01-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Cool, thanks Phil. I'll post some pics if I buy it.

anthonyg
01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Banjo ukulele's are old fashioned instruments from pre amplification days and they are meant to be LOUD. A good one is REALLY LOUD. They have a very loud quick attack and very little sustain. I use a banjo ukulele to busk unamplified. They work for some songs in some situations but not in others.

I'll plug my review,

http://youtu.be/m-FmrzMAOYg

I haven't embedded it so you can open it in a new window and then use the navigation I have put in the text. I've reviewed a Rally banjo ukulele and then you can keep listening to the next ukulele which is a timber ukulele in the same tuning and string configuration as the banjo ukulele.

Anthony

bass5snake
01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks for your input Anthony. I just subscribed on your YouTube channel. How do you like your Rally uke?

ukeeku
01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Here are all my banjo uke articles
http://ukeeku.com/category/size/banjo-size/
A good condition gibson can go from $400-$600

anthonyg
01-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks for your input Anthony. I just subscribed on your YouTube channel. How do you like your Rally uke?

Thank you very much. Its a nice, well built instrument. For the money its great. I've played another banjo ukulele that was better but it was more than three times the price. The cost/benefit ratio was getting a bit extreme. Like all banjo's / banjo ukulele's it has a floating bridge so its up to the individual to set it up in the right place and this affects sound greatly. I've tightened up the head since this review and its now a bit louder and a bit brighter.

Anthony

Fuzzy
01-04-2013, 04:55 AM
I like mine a lot. As was said, they are much louder than a "normal" uke and so mine allows me to compete with the acoustic guitar and bass in my band. They're good for adding a little "country" flavour to songs; we do a good country music cover of "No Fun" by The Stooges, for example.
That said, they are more limited than a regular uke and aren't really an all-round go-to instrument. Still lots of fun, though.

UkuleleHan96
01-04-2013, 05:16 AM
i think they are awesome!

bass5snake
01-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks y'all!

pdxuke
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
I like mine. It's a Mainland. I must say, it is harder to keep in tune than a regular uke, but maybe that's a function of set up. Or it might just be that it's a banjo uke, because I'm by no means an expert.

Flea makes a banjo uke that looks easy to use and sounds like fun.

My only anxiety about a banjo uke is all the moving parts. And that anxiety comes from my own ignorance. But they are fun to play, LOUD, and very vaudeville!

Manalishi
01-04-2013, 11:34 PM
I find that mine works best on music hall songs
(vaudevile songs) while my wooden ukuleles work
better on other stuff. Horses for courses!

chris667
01-04-2013, 11:51 PM
I don't particularly like mine, truth be told. Quite cold, with no sustain; they only sound good with certain songs.

Truth be told, I only bought it because there is a BU club near me, and I wanted to go along.