• Gloss

Votes: 68 50.4%
  • Satin

Votes: 67 49.6%

• Total voters

Linho

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm curious which kind of the two most used body finishes the majority of the UU members prefers. I didn't find a poll, so I hope that many of you take part in this one.

Of course some of you will like both finishes, but just imagine you are about to order an expensive high class ukulele, for example a K brand -- which finish would you chose?

Cheers,
Linho

Last edited:
Satin for me (or more specifically, I really prefer a hand rubbed oil finish).

I think they look far classier, more natural, it is reported it allows the wood to resonate more, dont attract fingerprints, easier to hold without strap. Many reasons really!

I prefer the look of a gloss finish. In the end, it's the thickness of the finish, not whether it' gloss or satin that affects resonance. Some gloss finishes are thicker than some satin finishes, and vice versa. That being said, if I saw two ukes and I liked the look of the satin over the gloss, I'd go for the satin. I love the look of beautiful wood....period and whatever makes the grain of the wood look best would work for me. How's that for "hedging my bets." :shaka:

Satin for me (or more specifically, I really prefer a hand rubbed oil finish).

I think they look far classier, more natural, it is reported it allows the wood to resonate more, dont attract fingerprints, easier to hold without strap. Many reasons really!
Yes, same for me. For mostly the same reasons. And, gloss makes the instrument feel "cold" and "sticky". In my opinion.

Spectacular grain may look better with gloss finish, indeed, but personally I hate bling gloss monsters. I love the feel of the wood itself.

Of course there can be no right or wrong, just personal preference. That's why I made this poll. It's interesting to read different opinions, though.

Gloss.

I can't ever remember seeing a satin finished Moore Bettah. :)

satin is so sexy;) I kan't stop to play my satin set of ukes in comparision to my gloss ukes.

Satin makes me want to touch. So since I'd rather touch a uke than not touch, satin for me.

Gloss.

I can't ever remember seeing a satin finished Moore Bettah. :)

I actually tried to get him to make me one but he conviced me that gloss was better looking and had no effect on the sound, he had just reworked his finishing process so they both had the same amount of finish.

That said I probably would pick gloss.

Satin for a lot of reasons. It's a folk instrument and I like the more natural sometimes rustic look of satin. With satin I can feel the wood, not the finish and, I know this sounds weird but, I feel more of a spiritual connection to the process of making music. I feel more of a physical connection to unfinished or minimally finished wood, literally, to that spiritual thing, whatever you call it; that thing we call our muses, our inspirations.

It get weirder. I feel it's a bit like aboriginal cultures who give thanks to their Gods when they kill an animal for food. A gloss finish camouflages the fact, gets in the way of the feeling, that there was once life coursing through this thing I'm holding in my hands with which I'm making music. With gloss, I feel the finish of the instrument, not the tree from which it was made.

If no other finish is available on an instrument I certainly won't forgo using it but it wouldn't be the first thing I reach for unless for a specific reason unique to that particular instrument.

I read somewhere that music is the only thing shared by every culture of humankind throughout it's history. Language, religions, visual arts, can differ or be completely absent but music appears to exist in every culture in one way or another.

I prefer the look of a gloss finish. In the end, it's the thickness of the finish, not whether it' gloss or satin that affects resonance. Some gloss finishes are thicker than some satin finishes, and vice versa. That being said, if I saw two ukes and I liked the look of the satin over the gloss, I'd go for the satin. I love the look of beautiful wood....period and whatever makes the grain of the wood look best would work for me. How's that for "hedging my bets." :shaka:

Very good point, some people seem to think satin finishes aren't a finish because it's not as apparent as the gloss.

Gloss!

kanilea.jpg

Count me in for gloss! I used to like satin but that didn't last long... now I'm a sucker for a shiny, glossy uke. After seeing the UV gloss finish on the Kanilea ukes, damn.. I gots to get me one of those too!

Mmmm, I'm really liking your uke there, Big K! You keeping her busy every day I hope! haha! :)

Although my Kamaka has a gloss finish and is certainly beautiful , I prefer satin in every other uke I own. Classy looking to me, traditional looking. Goes hand in hand with my screwy idea that all ukes should have friction tuners. :)

Yeah, that's a nice picture. But you see, if you just turn the ukulele a few centimetres clockwise, you will have a reflection of the sun like it's a mirror. So that's in my humble opinion another point speaking against gloss - I don't want to have lights like lamps or the sun mirrored in my ukulele. At direct sunlight my satin finished Kanile'a looks just as georgeous. Without acting as mirror if it's hold in the wrong angle. ;)

I can't vote. I actually prefer a semi-gloss finish.

Scooter

Top Bottom