First time trying out a Uke group...

D

dhoenisch

Well, I'm fix'n 'ta do it. I found a uke group about 12-miles from me, about a mile from my parent's house that meets up every Thursday night, and I am making my antisocial self go.

My big issue is that I am rather antisocial, and I really don't want to go. I mean, I do want to go because you all mention how fun they are, but at the same time, I don't want to go because there will be actual people there. I know I need to get out more, and I normally warm up to people rather quickly, it's just the initial meeting.

Anyhow, I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm bringing my el cheapo Lanikai LU21 since I did purchase it for my travel beater, though it has a good sound and feel. Besides, I think Soprano has become my favorite sized uke.

Anyhow, it's because of this community that I am going to this group tonight, and I really do hope I like it so I can go more. I enjoy playing the uke, and my family tends to grab our ukes every Sunday at my mom's house after dinner for a little jam, so this shouldn't be much different, though more structured.

Dan

It sounds like you are well beyond the true beginner state and you will have no trouble blending in with the group. Just be yourself and enjoy the evening.

If you can bring something to share with the group, it would be very welcomed. Being a club leader can be very taxing and they will welcome any assistance to the evening's program.

I think you may be suprizes how many people there have or had that Lanikai. Groups can vary widely. Some folks are there just to play and others wouldn't mind just talking the whole time. Just follow thier lead and most important, have fun

If it's anything like my uke group, they are the friendliest people in town. I have had more than my share of socialization problems in my long life, but was awestruck at the friendliness and instant acceptance I found there. Relax if you can, it's the last social situation you'll likely face, other than a family gathering, that you need to worry about.

PS: I always feel a little anxiety at how my playing stacks up to others, but they won't give it a thought and neither should you. Go, have fun. You will make new friends and your uke playing will improve.

Last edited:
Best of luck with your uke group meeting/experience.

*IF* my new first uke ever gets shipped out and delivered to me I'll be doing the same thing here shortly with the same apprehension etc about going and meeting a bunch of strangers that are better at playing...
Just be the little engine that could i guess?!
Enjoy!

I'm with you on the (anti) social aspect. I tried my local group for a while and just couldn't do it. Part of the problem was the overmanagement of the group. The leader would publish a song list of a dozen pieces we were required to download and print each week, each time getting more and more complex. We'd struggle to play it through once and then move on, never really *learning* anything. Then they'd expect each person to solo in front of the group, and that's where I'd fall apart. People would ask if they could just focus on one thing... anything... and work through it, to no avail. It just became a drag. Now I just play at home. I hope your group works out better for you.

Well, I'm fix'n 'ta do it. I found a uke group about 12-miles from me, about a mile from my parent's house that meets up every Thursday night, and I am making my antisocial self go.

My big issue is that I am rather antisocial, and I really don't want to go. I mean, I do want to go because you all mention how fun they are, but at the same time, I don't want to go because there will be actual people there. I know I need to get out more, and I normally warm up to people rather quickly, it's just the initial meeting.

Anyhow, I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm bringing my el cheapo Lanikai LU21 since I did purchase it for my travel beater, though it has a good sound and feel. Besides, I think Soprano has become my favorite sized uke.

Anyhow, it's because of this community that I am going to this group tonight, and I really do hope I like it so I can go more. I enjoy playing the uke, and my family tends to grab our ukes every Sunday at my mom's house after dinner for a little jam, so this shouldn't be much different, though more structured.

Dan

Part of the problem was the overmanagement of the group. The leader would publish a song list of a dozen pieces we were required to download and print each week, each time getting more and more complex. We'd struggle to play it through once and then move on, never really *learning* anything. Then they'd expect each person to solo in front of the group, and that's where I'd fall apart. People would ask if they could just focus on one thing... anything... and work through it, to no avail.....

Which is exactly my fear of how the meeting/session would go...

The ukulele folks I have met have all been very friendly and helpful and I bet the majority of ukulele groups are the same.....

Most likely you will have a great time and make some new friends.

Which is exactly my fear of how the meeting/session would go...
You'll never never know if you never never go....

And going once doesn't mean you must come back if you didn't like it - afaik uke groups don't have a mandatory membership after the first visit ;)

Last edited:
Good luck Dan.. I hope you realize after the first meeting that it will be a lot of fun for you and a great opportunity to learn..

Good luck. Please do post a follow-up. As a fellow anti-social, but not completely misanthropic, individual I too want to find a ukulele group in my area. I also find that, like you, once I force myself to attend a social function I tend to warm up to the folks in attendance and glad for getting out and socializing. If UU is any indication, your group will be filled with very cool, laid back, unassuming folks who dig the same thing you do.

For your first time out, don't be too shy about introducing yourself to one or two members ahead of the start time. No need to learn everyone's name the first time around. Watch and follow the group as they go through their routine. If you are nervous (no reason not to be) just sit and strum along. If you want to sing, sing.

I am fortunate to have a number of groups in my area (Los Angeles) and each one has it's own way of doing things. It's always going to be based upon the lead guy.

Your feedback to UU will be helpful for others in your area, so please do report back.

I hope it goes well for you. Keep in mind that each group is different.
For example my Group in Normal, IL is just sit in a circle and play what we have. We are starting to have a book, but people also bring solo things to play for the group. No pressure, no lessons, we just truck through the songs and laugh.
The CHUG (Chicago Uke Group) is the group that Normal is patterned after.
I know the North shore (In skokie) Uke group meets this Sunday and they are totally different. they have a couple lessons for the group and they play a few songs and will play them again if it went bad the first time.
Then there is the Ukulele Fight Club of St. Louis; mix of newbs and pros. they do shows and meet with other groups to have brawls.

I hope you have the courage to go to others, for you the ultimate antisocial killer would be Ukulele World Congress in Nashville, IN May 31-June 2, 2013
See you around

If you get more brave sometime

I'll be the first to say that a first time at a "club" type is terrifying, even if you're social. For hubby and I it was difficult to go into Java Joes's since every one there was holding, tuning, etc. their ukes. We'd taken a quick uke course on a cruise to Hawaii and we only knew 3 or 4 chords and strumming? We only strummed when we remembered and timing was something too odd to even consider. At our groups, folks tend to sit in a circle and we go around the circle picking out a song to play/sing. We like to use both of the Daily Ukulele books but folks will bring stuff or just play. We sort of strummed that first time but passed when it was our turn. The next week I got bold enough to play "Oh where oh where has my little dog gone" since that was a song I at least knew. Folks were super encouraging so we just kept coming back. We now love it and have made many friends. We're still not very good but we can strum sort of in the right time and we have fun. No matter what just do it that first time. You don't have to go back if you don't want to. You said it's about a mile from your folks and you all tend to jam. Is there a chance of taking one of your folks, or another relative that first time? You know two are more than one. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

good luck with meet, i went to one before christmas, it was there christmas do and they wanted to charge me £6 to get in, i declined, but i am going to next one to see how it goes, what a lot of people forget is they had to start from someone, we were all at the same level at one point, so dont be too nervy, and enjoy, let us know how you get on,

Our group became lame when it was all about boozing it up, and the leader of the group has a thing where he makes deals for ukes and just sorta not pays, even kept a uke that was to be raffled, making him a thief 3 times over before group members started quietly comparing notes on what was happening. I think he still runs the group in name only, but no one bothers with him. Sad one person can kill a group. Some of us have remained Facebook friends, but when they do wanna jam, it's always too far from here, with no parking.. Blah blah blah... Wish we had a better group here.

If you get that voice saying it isn't right, make some friends in the group but follow that voice... Unless you have other voices in your head. :D But staying home is a sure fire way of never knowing! Good luck and have fun!

I know that group very, very well..they are a great bunch of folks and you can stay in backround if you like, or take a seat up front...all up to you...try it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised!!

You gotta go! It's way fun to play ukulele with other people. Ukulele folk are pretty awesome, I think.
Tim (Ukeeku) is right. UWC would be the ultimate for you. You'd probably like it. :)

Not that this update matters one single bit to the topic... but since I posted it, I may as well post the follow-up. I was one of those who had a uke stolen with that old story of "I'll pay later" and you take that risk, knowing it's a risk, of "Ok, no problem, I know you're good for it." and three years later... you know you ain't gonna see that money. Then you start talking to other former club members and you hear "Yeah, he did that to so and so, just outright stole the uke." And your blood starts to boil not just about your uke, because you know you took that chance, but just at the bloody cheek of it.

Anyway, after like 3 freaking years, money just floated into my account for that uke, so I guess it's no longer stolen. LOL. I can only hope he finally made good to others having the same problem. If you're reading this, you need to do that, and you need to apologize for keeping a uke that was supposed to be raffled. He's a member here, so he might see it.

I don't think the guy deserves much credit, but I feel like, if you post something like that, and the other party finally makes good, then you should post the whole story there.

Seriously OT and I apologize but like I said, if you post the part A to something like that, you kinda need to post the part B.

Sorry everyone, carry on and carry forward.

The ukulele folks I have met have all been very friendly and helpful and I bet the majority of ukulele groups are the same.....

Most likely you will have a great time and make some new friends.

As a musician, I really enjoy playing with other folks. Sadly our uke group disbanded since folks just didn't seem to want to make a monthly commitment. If you don't like the group, don't go back. If you do like it, you're very fortunate to enjoy playing with and meeting nice folks. Have fun!!

Top Bottom