Fremont "Soloist" Low G - NEW STRINGS, ANYONE USE?

blue_knight_usa

Reaction score
Hi All, being a string nut, I have purchased a lot of strings, and just saw one that I have not tried called the "Soloist" from Fremont, low G. I use Fremont clear low G's which work fantastic on a Kanilea K1 Deluxe Tenor that I have. I just picked up the Aquila Red Low G and am going to fire that up today on my Kanilea K1 but was wondering if anyone has tried these.

I ordered a set, so I'll know in a week or so, but anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking of putting it on my custom concert to replace the steel wound D'Addario which has been an excellent low G for my particular uke.

Tnx!

Thumbs Up!

I bought one to try, and am well pleased and satisfied.
Slick gold flatwound wrap on stranded nylon core.
Sounds louder and more sustain like a wound string, rather than an Aquila red.
Four bucks for one string, but it was long enough to cut and fit one on a tenor and one on a soprano.

Surprisingly, the string is listed for use on all three sizes, and because of the different tension required to tune it up to pitch, it really works.

I've matched it with a set of heavy clear Worth's on a Lehua mahogany tenor and Martin 600s on my Martin soprano with good results.

I'll be buying more of these.

Hi All, being a string nut, I have purchased a lot of strings, and just saw one that I have not tried called the "Soloist" from Fremont, low G. I use Fremont clear low G's which work fantastic on a Kanilea K1 Deluxe Tenor that I have. I just picked up the Aquila Red Low G and am going to fire that up today on my Kanilea K1 but was wondering if anyone has tried these.

I ordered a set, so I'll know in a week or so, but anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking of putting it on my custom concert to replace the steel wound D'Addario which has been an excellent low G for my particular uke.

Tnx!

Hey Blue where do you get the clear fremont's and lowG from..i have not seen them around..i have just put on some Blacklines low G on my MM and Maui Music and like them Thxs

I just picked up a couple of these today and I'm planning to try it out tonight on an accessory I picked up with them. (Can you sense the NUD post coming soon? ;) ) I'm hoping they work out. I'm not a fan of wound low g strings in general and didn't realize these weren't plain. Here's to crossing my fingers!

Hi Len, I get them on Ebay and you can get them from Elderly.

Now I will tell you I just got Fremont's brand new "Soloist" Polished Squeekless Low G and all I can say is "WOW!". It really is squeekless. I just put it on my KoAloaha Thin Body Tenor and the string was long enough to put on my Martin which I have a review uploading right now that has this low G on the Martin. I just bought the 6 I found on Ebay so I am sure more will get posted up there this week.

I like these better than the clears and I think they have something unique that is not close to anyone else which really sets these apart. The color (gold) is very cool, they don't rubber band on you at all. I tuned up, streteched it for 5 minutes really well and I have been playing for hours and it has barely (I mean like a few cents) gone out of tune which just blows me away. Usually your always adjusting for a day or so but these seem to just settle right in.
I have tried almost all Low G's out there and just tested the new formula Aquila reds, and this Fremont was the new one on the list to try...absolutely a stunner of a low G on my tenor and the same string is on my soprano.

I think I found my new low G nirvana! Fremont really has something awesome here and it's new so I don't think many people even know it's out now. I'm going to buy a bunch to add to my stock. Anyone who uses wound and prefers wound I think will love these as the squeek is gone sliding your fingers.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I really like them also. They sound smooth and blend very well with the other strings. Not overly loud or boomy.

Just bought all of them that were on Ebay tonight, great deal. Can't wait to get them on some of my other ukes. Never had a string like this which is truly a silent wound that is as smooth as silk. It sounds fantastic to me on my Martin...it's incredible. Never had a low G on my soprano, and I don't think I have ever even heard a soprano with a low G now that I think about it. I am sure there are people out there doing it, I just have not come across it yet with the folks I play with. You can skip to 7:20 if you want to just hear the sound of the Fremont Soloist low G and not see the information on the uke. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EfUjao1BFg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi Len, I get them on Ebay and you can get them from Elderly.

Now I will tell you I just got Fremont's brand new "Soloist" Polished Squeekless Low G and all I can say is "WOW!". It really is squeekless. I just put it on my KoAloaha Thin Body Tenor and the string was long enough to put on my Martin which I have a review uploading right now that has this low G on the Martin. I just bought the 6 I found on Ebay so I am sure more will get posted up there this week.

I like these better than the clears and I think they have something unique that is not close to anyone else which really sets these apart. The color (gold) is very cool, they don't rubber band on you at all. I tuned up, streteched it for 5 minutes really well and I have been playing for hours and it has barely (I mean like a few cents) gone out of tune which just blows me away. Usually your always adjusting for a day or so but these seem to just settle right in.
I have tried almost all Low G's out there and just tested the new formula Aquila reds, and this Fremont was the new one on the list to try...absolutely a stunner of a low G on my tenor and the same string is on my soprano.

I think I found my new low G nirvana! Fremont really has something awesome here and it's new so I don't think many people even know it's out now. I'm going to buy a bunch to add to my stock. Anyone who uses wound and prefers wound I think will love these as the squeek is gone sliding your fingers.

Cheers!

Rick suggested lightly sanding the wound strings to reduce squeak. It works.

Rick suggested lightly sanding the wound strings to reduce squeak. It works.

Yeah Rick does that on his Savarez strings I believe, I have some of those and they are good for sure, but these don't need any sanding, they are squeekless, smooth and sound fantastic. I'm not patient enough to sand strings....that was a problem, but this solves it for me. They are also gold so they just look cool with Koa behind it too ;-)

Yeah Rick does that on his Savarez strings I believe, I have some of those and they are good for sure, but these don't need any sanding, they are squeekless, smooth and sound fantastic. I'm not patient enough to sand strings....that was a problem, but this solves it for me. They are also gold so they just look cool with Koa behind it too ;-)

Gold? That'll contrast nicely against the black of my CR when I get it:)

Gold? That'll contrast nicely against the black of my CR when I get it:)

Hey Gary

i got those TN strings custom made for Pua Pua when i was there top 3 T2's and a Gold flat wound LowG..sounds like the same LowG string..

and i do lightly sand down the Savarez classical strings..squeaks gone

I also pay a lot of attention to strings. For years I used various wrapped low G strings on a Baritone. As I transitioned to the smaller Ukuleles I continued to replace the strings with a wrapped low G. About two or three years ago, I started putting fluorocarbon strings from various makers. I made the change because I got tired of the squeakiness of the wrapped strings, as well as how quickly they wore out. I didn't think I would be changing back until I just recently took a trip to Hawaii and visited the store of The Ukulele Site in Haleiwa, on Oahu. When there I purchased a Kanilea super tenor, and the luthier there suggested that I consider trying a wrapped low G again, but this time recommend a Fremont soloist polished wrapped Low G. I truly have been pleased thus far. It has the clearer sound of a wrapped string without the squeak. It really is the first low G string I have been completely satisfied with. It has the tight feel of a wrapped string, is a bit mellower than other wrapped strings, possibly because it doesn't squeak. The problem I have had with the fluorocarbon Low G is that they often felt loose when in tune. As for how long the Fremont Soloist polished low G string will last I am not sure as I haven't used it long enough to tell yet. By the way, I don't think that the Soloist polished low G comes any other way than just as a single string. I don't think it is available in a set. At least I haven't seen it in a set on any of the Internet sites that I have searched.
My suggestion, just try one, I think you'll like it. Good luck.

I really like the Fremont Soloist low G on my Kanilea super tenor but, it's only been on for a couple of months and I'm beginning to think it doesn't sound quite as good as it did when it was new. I have played it a good bit lately but not so much that I think it should be replaced.
I'm a bit new to the low G so, I'm asking as a "newbie" - how long do you think they should last?
Thanks for your help and advice.

I really like the Fremont Soloist low G on my Kanilea super tenor but, it's only been on for a couple of months and I'm beginning to think it doesn't sound quite as good as it did when it was new. I have played it a good bit lately but not so much that I think it should be replaced.
I'm a bit new to the low G so, I'm asking as a "newbie" - how long do you think they should last?

Wound strings go "bad" much quicker then florocarbon. Because the windings trap dirt, oil and skin from your fingers the string becomes clogged or coated and the sound deteriorates. If you are playing a few hours a day then 2-3 months is about all you will get out of them.

If you wipe them down everytime after playing this will help. I even take a damp cloth occasionally and it really shows the dirt. It is not uncommon for players of steel string acoustic guitar to change string sets every few weeks.

Fremont Soloist low G are the best low g I've found. I can't remember where I bought them as I bought 3 and they seem to last much longer than most wound.

Last edited:
Wound strings go "bad" much quicker then florocarbon. Because the windings trap dirt, oil and skin from your fingers the string becomes clogged or coated and the sound deteriorates. If you are playing a few hours a day then 2-3 months is about all you will get out of them.

If you wipe them down everytime after playing this will help. I even take a damp cloth occasionally and it really shows the dirt. It is not uncommon for players of steel string acoustic guitar to change string sets every few weeks.

We all need to wash our hands thoroughly before playing, this will minimize the transfer of unwanted dirt.

In the bad old days we used to boil our steel guitar strings to give them new life, it was basically just a wash to remove the grime.

Last edited:

If I got a couple of months out of my wound strings I'd be extremely happy. Goes to show you how good those fremonts are. They're my favorite low g and I pair them with oasis.

We all need to wash our hands thoroughly before playing, this will minimize the transfer of unwanted dirt.

In the bad old days we used to boil our steel guitar strings to give them new life, it was basically just a wash to remove the grime.

I am big proponent of washing hands before playing and I have heard Booli say the same thing.
It seems like I get a smoother feel on the neck with clean hands too.

Campbell, when you said "In the bad old days we used to boil our steel guitar strings to give them new life"...

I had this vision of you camping The Outback on horse...
The sun is setting, you have set-up camp on a high spot near a creek and you realize your strings are a bit mucky. So you start a fire, get out your kettle and fill it from the creek. Then you remove the strings, put them in the boiling water and begin humming a well-known Aussie cowboy ditty. In the meantime, you warm up a can of beans and let your horse, Lightning Bolt, graze near-by in the short grass. By and by, you scan the horizon for any sign of threats and as the purple-blue veil of night comes, you think to yourself: "I am still alive, today was a good day."

Top Bottom