Okay...I've seen it all now (strings)

OldePhart

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with some baritone strings. Tried a Pro-Arte JJ4405 high-tension classical guitar "A" string for the low D in a traditional baritone tuning. Loved it. Liked it a lot better than any of the baritone uke sets I've tried (less "squeak" than most of them) and it balanced very nicely with the fluorocarbon strings I'm using for the G, B, and E. Intonation at the 12th was dismal, which was very disappointing. Then, I noticed that in spite of being dismal at the 12th fret it was fine all the way to the tenth. I knew it wasn't the Mainland uke at fault because I've experimented a lot with strings on this uke and none of the others have been so wonky.

Looked at the brand new string closely and observed that there is a visibly thinner spot on the string, about 1/4" long and located between the 10th and 11th frets.

So...if you're trying new strings and something is strange, don't immediately assume that the strings are a bad choice for the uke!

John

Alarmingly common John. I do play a lot of Worth strings and have found the same on occasion.

Alarmingly common John. I do play a lot of Worth strings and have found the same on occasion.

I was really surprised because I've been using Pro-Arte on my classical guitars for years and I've never had a bad one. In fact, in all the years I've played guitar, bass, dulcimer, and now uke I think this is the first time I've encountered an obviously bad string and I changed the strings on my electric guitars like candy. I guess there's a first for everything!

Of course, I didn't play the classical guitars as much as my steel strings so I've probably only gone through a dozen or so sets of those over the years, now that I think about it.

John

Top Bottom