Shoud I worry about this? Crack in Koalana

Depthy

Reaction score
Hey, so I've had this Koalana (from HMS) for a little over a month now and there's this crack on the back middle of it where the two pieces of wood merge together. It doesn't affect the playability (which is great), but it's sad to see my new ukulele which wasn't cheap already have cracks in it. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse (which doesn't seem promising because a new crack just showed up today). It's been very well taken care of, and I definitely dont think the crack is due to any user fault of mine. I take my plastic Dolphin around a lot to keep the Koalana in good shape.

I've kept it in it's Oahu hard case with Herco humidifier constantly, usually in my room with comfortable temperature, only taking it out when playing. Its only been outside through a couple short trips to my car in its case, maybe one through cold weather that was no more than 2-3 minutes long.

While I was taking pictures on my phone today, I noticed another little crack above the original that wasn't there a couple days ago. It's been in it's case for the last couple days as I haven't been home, and this little crack seemingly came out of nowhere.

Here are some pics:
IMG_3571.jpgIMG_3581.jpgIMG_3585.jpgIMG_3596.jpgIMG_3599.jpg

Do you guys think I should send it in? How do I contact Koaloha about their 'better than the weather' warranty? Do you guys think it's worth replacing? Then I guess I'd have to pay money to send it in and take off the Living Water Strings on it, as well as the month or so of breaking in it has. I'm also worried about getting a replacement without HMS's setup.

Thanks

Last edited:
I can't specifically speak for KoAloha, but in general, warranty claims are handled through the dealer, so contact HMS. The first crack doesn't look like a crack so much as a separation of the glue joint where the back is bookmatched. It does happen sometimes, and should be straightforward to remedy. The second one is pretty clearly a crack.

Different manufacturers will handle warranty claims differently, but given the relative newness of the instrument and the fact that you appear to have taken appropriate steps to keep it safe and properly humidified, it seems reasonable that your problem should be addressed via repair or replacement.

You should contact HMS about the cracks and they will tell you how to proceed. One of the cracks appears to be glue failure between the two bookmatched pieces on the back. The other crack is along the grain which would suggest to me that the uke hasn't been properly humidified. Where do you live? What is the relative humidity in your house or where you store the uke?

If it is a defect in the construction of the uke, I'm sure that HMS/KoAloha will take care of it

Thanks for your replies guys. Yeah, the middle one seems to be more of a glue failure. I live in Maryland, I'm not sure what the humidity is exactly but the uke was in its case with the Herco humidifier when the latest crack appeared.

I guess I'll have to contact HMS and see what they can do

I'm sure HMS and/or KoAloha will take care of you if it's not been dropped or something. One month shouldn't be enough time to crack a new uke even if you left it hanging on the wall in a dry house - if they were that delicate there would be darned few old ukes around. Kept in a case with a humidifier filled even once it should be out of the question in a month.

I am curious about that dimple next to the separation, though. Was that there when you got the uke? It appears that it has been struck quite hard against something - if so that could cause it to flex enough to separate the glue at that joint and maybe even start that other hairline crack, though the latter is more iffy since it is on the other half of the bookmatched back, the side away from the side that appears to have taken a blow.

John

Good question, im not entirely sure where the dimple came from, if it was from me or if it was there to begin with. Its so small that I didnt notice it until I took the pictures today. Whether I made it or not, Its so small that I doubt it would have caused the cracks, it certainly wasnt from anything severe I can remember. if anything it might have been a ding from my phone.

Mahogany is a hard wood so to leave an impression that deep it had to be a pretty good lick from something, whether that would be enough to pop a glue seam loose I'm not sure - it probably depends on the kind of glue. (If the uke were cedar you could create a mark that deep by looking at it hard. :) )

Yes, call HMS, and talk to Andrew, or call KoAloha and talk to Brian.

Phone numbers are on the respective web sites.

They are great folks, and both HMS and KoAloha will stand by their instruments.

-Kurt​

The bookmatched back sides of my KoAlana concert also parted at the glue line, in the same place, but that was after the humidity level where I kept the uke dropped below 30%. (Like the OP, I live in Maryland.) I repaired the split myself, in part as a way to get more familiar with this wonderful instrument. I also felt that I might have contributed to the split by letting the humidity drop.

Hey, so I've had this Koalana (from HMS) for a little over a month now and there's this crack on the back middle of it where the two pieces of wood merge together. It doesn't affect the playability (which is great), but it's sad to see my new ukulele which wasn't cheap already have cracks in it. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse (which doesn't seem promising because a new crack just showed up today). It's been very well taken care of, and I definitely dont think the crack is due to any user fault of mine. I take my plastic Dolphin around a lot to keep the Koalana in good shape.

I've kept it in it's Oahu hard case with Herco humidifier constantly, usually in my room with comfortable temperature, only taking it out when playing. Its only been outside through a couple short trips to my car in its case, maybe one through cold weather that was no more than 2-3 minutes long.

While I was taking pictures on my phone today, I noticed another little crack above the original that wasn't there a couple days ago. It's been in it's case for the last couple days as I haven't been home, and this little crack seemingly came out of nowhere.

Here are some pics:
View attachment 47101View attachment 47102View attachment 47103View attachment 47104View attachment 47105

Do you guys think I should send it in? How do I contact Koaloha about their 'better than the weather' warranty? Do you guys think it's worth replacing? Then I guess I'd have to pay money to send it in and take off the Living Water Strings on it, as well as the month or so of breaking in it has. I'm also worried about getting a replacement without HMS's setup.

Thanks

Anyone else been playing your uke? THat little indention there seems like the uke has been nicked or what not. The middle cracl seems to be a glue problem or caused by that indention. The smaller crack seems to be humidity related? But I am speaking from personal experiences only.

Possibly the problem with buying a uke from Vietnam where the humidity is much higher then most places. I'm sure some of the Luthiers on this forum could shed more light on that situation.

I hope is has nothing to do that the ukes have been produced in Thailand. It's super super humid over there and I don't know if the wood has been able to dry properly and if they have been produced in a climate / humidity controlled factory. I don't question the workmanship, that should be fine. I've read other stories about Thai made ukes from other brands that cracked when imported into dryer climates (especially during the winter).

I would not even question you and send a return label. Unless this is an obvious drop you will be taken care of for no cost and as quickly as possible.

I'm willing to bet that it is way dry. Those herco humidifiers are pretty useless. I threw out the clay, added more holes to the lid and cut a sponge to fit inside. The clay just doesn't release enough moisture. I don't think that little ding is a big deal. It's a fairly close photo and I think looks worse then it really is. That kind of crack screams humidity problem. You may want to invest in a hygrometer. I got mine from radio shack for $10-$12.

Despite my thoughts... Contact HMS and they will take care of you.
Edit- Ha! See above. That is service!

Last edited:
Anyone else been playing your uke? THat little indention there seems like the uke has been nicked or what not. The middle cracl seems to be a glue problem or caused by that indention. The smaller crack seems to be humidity related? But I am speaking from personal experiences only.

But I do recommend contacting the dealer. Those guys are all stand-up and I am sure they will take care of you.

I would not even question you and send a return label. Unless this is an obvious drop you will be taken care of for no cost and as quickly as possible.

Thank you Andrew! How do I proceed? I guess you guys are closed at this time of night so I'll call over there tomorrow. Should I take the strings off first before returning (to keep my Living Waters)?

Nice to know you guys from HMS keep an eye out here at UU.

The bookmatched back sides of my KoAlana concert also parted at the glue line, in the same place, but that was after the humidity level where I kept the uke dropped below 30%. (Like the OP, I live in Maryland.) I repaired the split myself, in part as a way to get more familiar with this wonderful instrument. I also felt that I might have contributed to the split by letting the humidity drop.

Interesting we both live in Maryland and have the same problem! How did you repair it? Guess I should upgrade the Herco humidifier.

I'm willing to bet that it is way dry. Those herco humidifiers are pretty useless. I threw out the clay, added more holes to the lid and cut a sponge to fit inside. The clay just doesn't release enough moisture. I don't think that little ding is a big deal. It's a fairly close photo and I think looks worse then it really is. That kind of crack screams humidity problem. You may want to invest in a hygrometer. I got mine from radio shack for $10-$12.

Despite my thoughts... Contact HMS and they will take care of you.
Edit- Ha! See above. That is service!

Yeah, I should probably upgrade as well. I also don't feel the ding is a big deal or caused the cracks - I didn't even notice the ding till today.

About HMS - yep!!

Nope noone else has been playing it!

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:
Have you tried rehumidify your uke to take care of the crack....the seam separation is a different issue...glue failure..
put a damp sponge in foil in your case and shut the case....leave it for a day and check....good Luck...
I am glad Andrew answered so pomptly and will take care of the issue for you....
whenever you get a new uke...give it the once over and take pictures....

On all solid wood instruments we put the option to upgrade from the Herco, which comes automatically but is only a little better than nothing , to the oasis, which can be quite effective. Dry weather includes anywhere you heat your house or condition the air. We will email/phone in 2013 with those not choosing the upgrade when we think should have taken that option. For those with KoAloha/KoAlana, a humidifier is necessary for your warranty to not be void, but if you think your humidity drops below 35%, even 40, just get the Oasis. We don't make a penny of profit, it is to protect your instrument. In any case, we give you the benefit of the doubt and share responsibility, unless serious abuse has taken place we will take care of it including shipping with repair or replacement.

Interesting we both live in Maryland and have the same problem! How did you repair it?

Sent you a PM.

Top Bottom