Spray finish?

breezy

Reaction score
Hi guys, im working on building my first ukulele, nothing special, grizzly had em on sale for $20. Ive been trying to figure out what finish to use, heard some good things about spray lacquer (that it wouldnt affect sound much). Any suggestions? brush on, oil, spray? Thanks

If you are looking for a spray on finish, I know a really good product, however it is expensive, and if you only plan to build a few, I would suggest it.

The stuff is from M L Campbell To do the first filler coats, there is "Level"
and to do the finish coats they have this stuff called Krystal.
I have worked with this stuff personally, and it is really great. Sprays on light, and covers well, also it sands off easy for quick surface leveling.

Here is the website:
http://www.mlcampbell.com/pages/home.asp

Like I said though, it cost about $50/ gallon, so if you only plan to make a few ukes, or you don't have a compressor and a spray gun, then this stuff would'nt be the way to go.

For a more low tech method, I would also suggest using Tru oil. It can be gotten at any gun or sportings store.
It can make a very thin, and good quality finish.
Hope this helps.
Aloha
Bob

Last edited:
Spray can laquer should do the job. We use Krystal for our production, but we spray about 14 instruments a day and have a full time spray compressor, and room. For one uke from a kit, you probably don't want to invest in thousands of dollars of equipment.

If you do decide that building is something you are going to pursue, you may want to take a look at a good compressor, gun, and top quality finish.

Breezy, If you don't want to invest in a lot of spray equipment, I suggest using Tru-Oil for the back, sides, neck, and headstock. Use your fingers to work in thin layers to build up the finish as you go. It's incredible how easy it is to use and it looks great (thanks for this tip Dominator). For the soundboard (top) use a lacquer spray can. Check out the web on tips on how to rub out the lacquer once it cures...thanks, e.lo..

Thanks everyone, i ordered some tru oil yesterday and will try a spray finish on top. thanks again

Top Bottom