Greetings from Under Down Under (Tasmania, Australia)

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
Hi all. I live in Hobart, the capital city of Tasmania, the island state at the foot of Australia. I get the feeling that most on these boards are from the USA, so please forgive my differing spelling & terminology - we are different.

After playing violin, viola, flute, recorders & cello, I have recently bought my first ukulele. I could never play guitar beyond strumming a few chords, so it'll be interesting to see how I progress.

I am to join a local ukulele group - as much for the social interaction as the music, though I love making music with others.

I don't expect I'll ever be much good at it, but I am keen to improve. My first instrument is a tenor - a Lanakai CK-T. Already I am researching getting a concert size, preferably with electrics (though I couldn't say why).

Did I mention I tend to get rather ummm.... obsessed? Hooked on things? Yeah, that's what I need, another obsession to take up my time & money:D

Well guess what. The uke is about as obsessive as anything out there. So is UU. Welcome by the way! I see you are from the same state as one of our moderators, Jon (Eugene Ukulele). I'm sure you'll see him 'out there' somewhere in the forum.

Welcome to UU!

Welcome aboard UU, great bunch of friendly helpful, knowledgeable and encouraging people here. You should get on fine with the uke, that is the beauty of it, you can be playing songs within a hour or so, keep at it, it is a fun and rewarding instrument.
I to spent many years with a guitar struggled with about 4 or 5 chords was absolutely useless at it, and then i rediscovered the uke( i had one as a kid).
Feel free to ask any questions you have, and look forward to seeing you around the forum, oh i lived in Perth for about 6 years, hoping to get back to Oz eventually (for good)
Once again welcome aboard ,keep on strumming, all the best from me.

Welcome to the UU! We will be happy to feed your obsession and help you spend your money. :D

... and yes, there is at least one other Tasmanian (I hope that is the right word!) here - keep watching for Eugene Ukulele!

Welcome to UU Katz. Glad you joined us. Don't worry about the spelling, we have lots of UK, Aussie, and Canadian members as well as continental Europe, South America and Asia. Every once in a while the different terminology or slang words make for some fun posts!

Jump on in, enjoy, and let us know when your next uke arrives!

Benvinguts! As we'd say to welcome you here in Catalonia!

Welcome to UU. Your wallet will never be the same!

G'day mate

Tasmanian (I hope that is the right word!)

I believe the correct term for someone from Tasmania, as ratified by the United Nations, is "Tolerable Aussie"

Welcome to UU Katz, nice to know we have a spare if we ever lose Eugene.

Welcome to the community, you sound much like myself, could never play the guitar! But that is half the reason I am here I suppose as ukulele is a whole new kettle of fish!

Maluhia!

Sam

I believe the correct term for someone from Tasmania, as ratified by the United Nations, is "Tolerable Aussie"

:rofl: Tasmanian is correct, though we are sometimes called Tasweigans for some reason.

Can't wait to meet Eugene, I'm about to launch into my first uke group tomorrow night, hopefully.

Hope you guys in Tasmania are OK - there were horrendous scenes on the BBC news of fire and devastation in your Island home.

hi Katz, warm welcomes!!!!! Awesome to see another member from Tassie!!!! I know of at least one other fella who joined from here - last year sometime - but haven't seen him on since. Anyway, congrats on getting your first uke. I think you'll find this place to be very fun, edumacational and just so inclusive...it's a kind of mad extended family with the uke as our common relative. Looking forward to seeing you on the boards. :)

As for the fires, it's been crazy. Over 100 homes lost and some are saying lives now too. One of the regions affected the worst is Dunalley, a gorgeous fishing village down the south east Peninsula. Special to me because my grandparents had a shack down there when I was a kid, and my dad spent all his holidays as a young man there too.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2013/01/04/3664765.htm

Horrendous scenes Jon. But some of those photos have a strange destructive beauty....

Hope you guys in Tasmania are OK - there were horrendous scenes on the BBC news of fire and devastation in your Island home.

Thank you for your thoughts - and yes, some of the shots are beautiful in a way.

I live on the other side of the river from where that is happening. We could see the flames at night even though it was many miles away. We've got a lot of smoke, because there's another big fire much further up the river as well. It is all very sad.

Eugene, nice to 'meet' you!

Arpie; yes, I plan to drop in on the 'Huggers' tonight.

Top Bottom