I can't hold my Ukulele

RedViolin

Reaction score
Hi. I recently started playing the uke (from a guitar and violin background). Problem is, I just can't get how to hold the uke.

In the first picture, I use the left hand to completely hold the uke (with the thumb and the index). My right hand is able to strum and pick freely but it's difficult to switch chords. Most who hold their ukes look like the first picture but they do not rely on their left hand fully.

In the second picture, I do a classical guitar position and I am able to freely use both the left and the right hand. I do not see anyone using the classical guitar position so it must be wrong.

I'm a girl so I have a problem using my forearm to press against my ribcage (I do not use my forearms to support in either pictures). One, I have my lady parts and I can't lay the uke flat against my body (in picture #1, there is space between the uke and my body). Two, the headstock is so heavy that however way I try it won't balance.

PLEASE, HELP A BEGINNER IN NEED OF ADVICE!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3636.jpg
    IMG_3636.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_3637.jpg
    IMG_3637.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 344
I quite often play in the "classical guitar position". Coming from a guitar background I find it comfortable. There's no such thing as a "wrong" way to hold your Uke while playing, do whatever works for you :)

The beauty of music is self expression, and the best musicians do it how they want not how it is 'right'.

For example, it was wrong when only right handed guitars existed, to then swap the strings round and convert it to left handed... right?

_42341382_fender_ap416.jpg

I have the same problem.
I fixed it by getting a neckstrap from the famous auction site.

The kind of strap I use goes round the neck. A single adjustable plastic clip goes under the back of the Uke, around to the front and then clips in the sound hole.
:cool:

In the first picture, I use the left hand to completely hold the uke (with the thumb and the index).
As you already said, this is not good (to say the least.)

In the second picture, I do a classical guitar position and I am able to freely use both the left and the right hand. I do not see anyone using the classical guitar position so it must be wrong.
Have a look at the videos of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain - they sometimes even do it with Sopranos. If it feels good for you, go ahead that way.

I'm a girl so I have a problem using my forearm to press against my ribcage (I do not use my forearms to support in either pictures). One, I have my lady parts and I can't lay the uke flat against my body (in picture #1, there is space between the uke and my body).
Generally speaking the ukulele should be lightweight enough to require very little "pressure" in that position and it should not be necessary to have the uke pressed flat against your body (or squeeze your "lady parts"). In fact, holding it too tight will kill some volume and sound. Unlike a guitar, try to hold the uke with the neck pointing slightly forward (thus moving the point of contact slightly to the side of your ribcage), this could help as well. Unlike the guitar, the uke somehow rests in your elbow; all the fancy right hand action comes from your wrist, not the whole forearm.

Two, the headstock is so heavy that however way I try it won't balance.
That's normal. The uke's center of gravity is somewhere around the point where body and neck meet; holding it only at the lower bout will always result in the neck falling down unless you press really hard. Your left hand will still have to give some support to the neck.

And if everything fells uncomfortable, don't be shy and try a strap - there's plenty of them, and some are even magnetic so they don't need any strap buttons mounted to the uke.

I came to the ukulele from classical guitar and hold my uke in the same position. It's comfortable and easy for me. When I first started playing and found the uke awkward to hold, I purchased a Uke Leash/half strap from UU member Lori and I think that really helped me in those first few months. I don't need one anymore, but I don't think I would have progressed as fast in the beginning without it.

I'm a little portly, so i often balance the top edge on my Stomach, Ideally when holding your uke you should try to minimalise contact with the body to maximise your volume and tone, a Strap may be the way to go.

I'm a girl so I have a problem using my forearm to press against my ribcage (I do not use my forearms to support in either pictures). One, I have my lady parts and I can't lay the uke flat against my body (in picture #1, there is space between the uke and my body). Two, the headstock is so heavy that however way I try it won't balance.

PLEASE, HELP A BEGINNER IN NEED OF ADVICE!!!

Advise? Don't be squeamish about your lady parts. Serious. I've listened to/watched a number of top grade women guitarists on YouTube and they just squeeze the guitar against their breast. That's the way it is.

Some links,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxiFhNgGvJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDXynODe1BQ

Here's Akakaka playing ukulele. Its hard to make out but it seems she has it held against her chest,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6X25jESpUc

Here's Danielle, She's using a strap,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCETXK9XZbs

Anthony

Last edited:
I'd second the Uke Leash from Lori. Great idea, well executed and economical. Lightning fast delivery too, I might add (Thanks, Lori!) My purple one is faboooolus! I'm a wind instrument/piano player, no string experience before the 'uke (no, the piano doesn't count, and the leash won't hold it right anyway...).

I agree with the others about the uke leash. It helps a lot with that "slippage" problem while you're getting comfortable with your uke.

People generally play up the neck more on a uke than on a guitar (around the 12th fret is supposed to be the sweet spot) and that will also bring your arm in more to support the uke in the crook of your arm.

You'll find what works for you very quickly, I'm sure.

Just temporarily velcro a strap in place and see how that feels. If a strap solves the problem there's lots of options. I use a strap it just works better for me.

Hi RedViolin

I know your problem all too well. I think you should hold your ukulele in a comfortable pose. My technique improves with the classical guitar position. The Uke Leash will stabilize the neck and allow you to play with the soundbox away from your body. Pressing the uke against your breast only mutes the back of the soundboard (and can make the soundboard of the uke angle in an awkward direction). I use my Uke Leashes all the time, and I have been playing for almost 4 years now. If it dosen't work for you, you can always return it. A full strap might work best for standing, but in my experience, it really doesn't stabilize the neck as well.

–Lori

decorate ublisaw

Louis0815
the uke somehow rests in your elbow

I have been lurking for awhile now but this one little tidbit made me register just to say thanks!!! I have been fighting to keep steady but had somehow missed this little fact.

*bow*
Forever grateful,
-Z

While I was waiting for my Uke leash's I just used an old leather boot lace I had. Used two of them tied around the neck and around the body kind of over the sound hole. Works OK but the Uke leash is much neater and not expensive.

I noticed recently that I was naturally holding the under part of my forearm against the top of the uke; when I held it in a different, more awkward way with my arm off the soundboard, I got better tone and more sustain, because my arm was muting the vibrations on the soundboard. That might be something to consider. Comfort is important, but so is a position that allows the instrument to sing to its full potential. Not sure whether that will be helpful, but I'm throwing it out there just in case.

I use the Uke leash and recommend it. You will need a strap button. Very easy to install it yourself or have the shop do it. The strap frees up your fretting hand allowing you to concentrate on finger placement while not having to support the Uke.

Funny - this thread has been revived and now when I see it the first thing that pops into my mind is a guy stumbling a bit tipsy down the sidewalk holding a ukulele ("can't hold his liquor"). The first time around it didn't strike me that way...

That is all, we return you to your regular progamming...guaranteed to be at least slightly less random than my mind...

John

I use the Uke leash and recommend it. You will need a strap button. Very easy to install it yourself or have the shop do it. The strap frees up your fretting hand allowing you to concentrate on finger placement while not having to support the Uke.

I thought the uke leash worked by threading a strap around the headstock, under the strings near the nut? You wouldn't need a button for that.

Top Bottom