Baritone an octave down GCEA experiment

~dave~~wave~

Reaction score
I tuned a baritone down a full octave from standard tuning, you can hear the result in the video.

I got the idea from this thread: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?60180

I used all wound strings, two from uke sets and two from a classical guitar set.

• I know "it doesn't sound like a ukulele." That's the point.
  • I like that I don't have to keep two sets of chord shapes in my head.
Next uke club meeting I intend to inflict this on them, I think it could add some depth and fullness to the ensemble sound.

--------------------------------------------------
G string - Aquila tenor uke low G 16U
C string - Martin classical guitar High Tension A ~ M120 .035
E string - Martin classical guitar High Tension D ~ M120 .030
A string - D'Addario baritone uke G ~ J68 .030

I like it. Unfortunately you may have given me an excuse to go buy another baritone which means I may be sleeping in the car for a couple of nights. If this happens I'll be cursing your name bitterly.

I'm on Rick Turner's build list for a baritone Compass Rose strung in GCEA tuning an octave lower. Thanks for the video. I was looking for a guitarish sound (I know, that's heresy) and I really like the way your low octave GCEA baritone sounds.

I actually keep a baritone tuned octave-low GCEA, but using Guadalupe's custom strings.
They are available from Mainland uke site:
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/pr...E1EE9B.qscstrfrnt02?productId=85&categoryId=2
But it is low G, not re-entrant like you had it.

They work really well, and are custom built for this tuning.
I made one video with it so far, for Christmas:

Wow, that video is gorgeous, and thanks for the link for the Guadalupe strings.
They sound great on your Oscar Schmidt.

I tried low-G, but it sounded too "muddy" to me on my el cheapo bari.
Explored a plain nylon string for the A, that was a disaster, and convinced me they must all be wound for proper balance.

Good grief, now I'm in the market for a better baritone. :p

I tried this a while back - it works well picked but does tend to be a bit muddy when strummed. I think I posted a YouTube video, don't remember for sure. I suspect that strumming with a group where there were other normal-octave ukes might be okay, though.

I also tried linear (low-g) tuning an octave down - I didn't care for that much at all.

John

I did this with Aquila GCEA strings down 1 octave or I think half octave on my baritone ?? It reads as F#BD#G# on my snark like the sound and string tension is less for easier fretting. I go back up to GCEA sometimes but find myself tuning back down right away.

Sounds great Dave-wave. How is the tension on those strings?

Hmmm, interesting idea. Tuning a baritone down an octave below the standard GCEA tuning. I might try this with the low G as well, essentially bring it down almost as low as a guitar. Might be fun!

This idea sounded intriguing. I used the low 4 strings classical guitar set.
I tuned gCEA and am a full octave below a standard low g ukulele.
The baritone really growls (Kala solid mahogany).
Sounds pretty cool alone, but I am looking forward to strumming with some other ukukele pals.
I am guessing it is going add some real depth.

I tried this a while back - it works well picked but does tend to be a bit muddy when strummed. I think I posted a YouTube video, don't remember for sure. I suspect that strumming with a group where there were other normal-octave ukes might be okay, though.

I also tried linear (low-g) tuning an octave down - I didn't care for that much at all.

John
I agree with John. I, too, tried Bari GCEA an octave down and liked it, but then DrBekken in the Baritone UAS thread suggested Siuthcoast High Tensions in re-entrant dGBE, and it is absolutely the way to go. Try it, davewave. It's out of this world, and still re-entrant. Higher string tension ( but still Bari uke safe) and less flabby and muddy. More crisp.

Sample. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMgv1jBc6Eg

Last edited:
Just curious has anyone tried this on a tenor?
I just don't know about the string tension.

Just curious has anyone tried this on a tenor?
I just don't know about the string tension.

Given that it's just barely doable on a bari, with the shorter scale length of the tenor, I think you'd be butting up against the laws of physics.

- FiL

Well I am really surprised, but this seems to work.
I used a set of D'addario classical strings and put them on a tenor.
I used the EAD for GCE and a low G for the A. The tension is really nice and I have no buzzes.
The only thing I don't like is that I have all wound strings and I am squeeking a bit.
If I decide to stay with this setup I will buy some flatwound polished strings.
As with the baritone I am not certain it is a solo instrument, but I played in a group last night and with all the high ukuleles my octave down bari added some flavor.
I was interested in attempting a tenor setup as I have a double tenor bag so it will be easier to tote two ukes to a gathering.
I put the strings on late last night so they are still stretching, but hopefully I will get them settled in over the weekend.

Top Bottom