New Uke Day

His Sinfulness

Reaction score
Nothing fancy, just a few pics of my new baritone, an Oscar Schmidt OU 53 M. I love the way it sounds and I got a great deal on it. Not one of the baritones I was originally considering, but this one had such a beautiful tone, and the shape of the neck fit my hand so nicely. I played it for about 5 minutes and it was a done deal. (Jack Russell Terrier shown for scale. And because she insisted on being in the picture.)

IMG_1034.jpgIMG_1026.jpgIMG_1040.jpg

I like the pattern of the wood on the back. I think you puppy stole the show:D

Congratulations on your new baritone! It's very nice looking. What other baritones were you considering?

By the way, that last photo has to get posted on your dog's Facebook page.

Oh, very pretty uke! I like Oscar Schmidt ukes and own several.

beautiful! congratulations!

...What other baritones were you considering?...

I looked at:
Ponos: AB, PB, MB
Mainland Mahogany
Ohana BK
Luna Hightide

I had decided that the Luna was the one I was going to order if I couldn't find anything locally to try out, but I then went to Nakwon Arcade (the HUGE music mall here in Seoul). It's three floors of instruments and equipment - imagine a dozen Guitar Centers under one roof, then add in orchestral strings, woodwinds, brass, pianos, organs, harps, etc. Add to this the fun of haggling in "Konglish" and you've got a great afternoon for a gearwhore like myself. One of the guitarists I play in a band with went with me, and we were like kids in a candy store. We spent about 4 hours just dashing from one shiny thing to another. At one point he asked me to hold his wallet - to protect him from all of the pretty hollow-bodies he was playing.

We are going back later this month for microphones and a pick-up for this baritone. And maybe a banjolele. And a mandolin. And that big Gretsch with the tremolo... :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom