Unlikely Uke Players

buddhuu

Super Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
I don't do heroes much but I have a few. Musically they include Jimi Hendrix, Tom Waits, Django Reinhardt and Joe Strummer of The Clash.

From Wikipedia:

I bought a ukelele. No kidding. I saved some money, £1.99 I think, and bought it down Shaftesbury Avenue. Then the guy I was busking with taught me to play Johnny Be Good. [...] I was on my own for the first time with this ukelele and Johnny Be Good. And that's how I started.

—Joe Strummer

Who'd have guessed?

(Sorry about the spelling; I left it as it was in the article.)

I read somewhere recently that Daniel Craig plays ukulele. That's about as unlikely a ukulele player as I can think of. I don't know if it's true or not, but if it is, that's just cool.

I read somewhere recently that Daniel Craig plays ukulele. That's about as unlikely a ukulele player as I can think of. I don't know if it's true or not, but if it is, that's just cool.

It's so he has something to hide his modesty when wearing those ice blue swimming trunks! Which reminds me of Inspector Clouseau in the naturist camp. :)

http://ukulelehunt.com/2009/10/11/phill-jupitus-the-perfect-ten-theme-chords/

"There seem to be a few British comedians playing the ukulele: Phill Jupitus, Frank Skinner, Lee Evans, Harry Hill, Michael Legge (more on that below) and Russell Brand. Some of them are more competently than others. Phill Jupitus is definitely one of the more dedicated ones. He’s often seen with his uke and showed up at the London Uke Festival."

I never would have guessed but that's just one more reason I like Daniel Craig!

Excerpt from an article on the movie "Cowboys & Aliens".

You see the strangest things in the desert. Last year, for instance, if you followed a ridgeline in Abiquiu, N.M., you would have discovered a massive alien spaceship and, nearby, James Bond strumming a ukulele beneath a wispy tamarix tree. “Wait around,” he muttered, “and Indiana Jones might show up too.”

The man with the four-string uke was actor Daniel Craig, who is best known as the British spy 007 but was on this particular day on location with “Cowboys & Aliens,” an audacious $180-million film that also stars “Raiders of the Lost Ark” hero Harrison Ford.

From another article:

Favreau and Craig play the ukulele and several others brought their guitars and everyone else sang along. “Actually, it started with Daniel, who was learning to play the ukulele. We had a few parties and if they were during the day, they were at my house because I have kids and the pool; and if they were at night they were at Daniel’s house because he had the Mexican food and the tequila,” he laughs.

“And on one of the first occasions we went to his house we busted out the ukuleles. I knew how to play a little bit and he had some songbooks and Keith Carradine would be singing – it was great.” Favreau also recalls having as many as five ukeleles on the set, and even giving Craig his own electric ukelele as a gift once the shooting wrapped.

Last edited:
"Unlikely ukulele players?"

Me

I love Charlie Christian, and recently found out he played uke, at least informally. Here are a couple lines from his wikipedia article:

Kenny Clarke claimed that "Epistrophy" and "Rhythm-a-Ning" were Charlie Christian compositions that Christian played with Clarke and Thelonious Monk at Minton's jam sessions.

Clarke said Christian first showed him the chords to "Epistrophy" on a ukulele.

Top Bottom