Bruko Soprano Triplets Have Landed

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
Thank you to those who chimed in on my Bruko ordering thread with advice. I bought a mahogany baritone, and then three Bruko sopranos in two separate orders.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?73715-Bruko-Order-from-USA-Advice-Plz

BrukoSops 012.jpgBrukoSops 020.jpgBrukoSops 023.jpgBrukoSops 025.jpgBrukoSops 026.jpg

In the three uke photos (l to r):

Bruko spruce top, walnut body (and Shadow pickup) (with Martin 600 strings) -- notice that contrary to popular belief, this one has a removable saddle, not one piece wood.

Bruko #6 mahogany body, maple neck (flatbody) (with KoOlau wound low G Gold strings)

Bruko all blonde maple (flatbody) (with Fremont Blackline Hard Tension strings)

Tips from my buying experience: It was easy to order, as you all instructed me. Paypal does, in the final step, the conversion from Euros to US Dollars. There is, in the fine print, a charge for this conversion of something like 2.5% that is invisible when Paypal converts it, but it's in there.

I did find that, if one creates a log-in account on Bruko website, the prices come down in the store listings (I think there's some sort of surtax in Europe--about 19%-- that comes off when you enter a US address as part of your registration).

Also, the shipping is flat rate currently at 55 Euros (about $72) whether you buy one uke or three! Added the other sopranos to the shopping cart and the shipping price did not change (great excuse to use when the spouse asks why three ukuleles came in that box today, as she hands you the blanket and pillow to sleep in the doghouse).

I did not know that the US imposes a customs charge/tax if they select your package to open and inspect. I ordered a Bruko bari and the US customs charge was $26, and I had to pay it or they held my package hostage at the USPS. I complained, stomped my feet on the floor and held my breath until the veins popped out on my forehead like a six-year old, but it did no good. For these three sopranos, there was not customs charge, which I learn is basically at random, if your package gets picked. (The post office got lucky this time ;-).

I had a Shadow passive pickup placed in the spruce/walnut soprano, and if anyone was going to do it, it was done by Bruko. I think its 38 Euros, or about $50, for the pickup and installation. How's it sound? So-so.

Finally, the ukes are lovely, just splendid, with nary a sharp fret, not one thing out of alignment. But as you all told me, the Pyramid brand strings are horrible. I'm not one to quickly change strings out, but these had to go. I opted for the string sets noted above. So, if you order, plan on getting new strings.

Thanks again for your tips and advice. go Bruko! No intonation issues, although slightly high action (not as perfect action as the Martin Sopranos, but that's an unfair comparison). By far the best ukes for the price based on my experience. There are stellar video reviews of Bruko from Eugeneukulele and Petey Houdini, and written review by Bazmaz, which are helpful and appreciated.

PS Which one sounds the best--frankly, it might be the all maple blonde with Fremont Hard Tension strings!--jury still not fully convened, however.

PPS they all come with included gig bags for the price, which are good ones, waterproof, and padded (not great padding, but good enough).

Last edited:
BrukoSops 021.jpgBrukoSops 022.jpg
These ukes are both flatbody, meaning 3 cm thickness rather than Bruko's standard 5.5 cm thickness. These are stock, and currently list for 108 Euros each, or $142. Amazing deal. (but then you have to add in $72 shipping!)

Last edited:
Wow, three, nifty (not to mention the baritone)! When you order, you order! My UAS has been dormant since Thanksgiviging, but now......

Last edited:
Well Cool, ol buddy, we read each other's minds again. Just three days ago I emailed Uke Republic and asked him when his Brukos were arriving, because that mahogany with the maple(?)neck is just awesome looking--and sounding.

So I need sound samples of all those sopranos! and details details details!

Fantastic :) love to see more positivity about Bruko, wow you certainly hada bad case of Bruko UAS, they really are fine ukes, i have the #6 and love it the only thing that i struggle with is the very thick neck, but the more i play it the easier i hope it becomes, they certainly are a fantastic uke for the money and fantastic customer service.
Out of curiosity does the Baritone have the "Bruko" sound to it or still nice and deep, would love to hear the baritone, any chance of a sound clip.
Here is a little amature review i did many months ago, and yep totally agree about the strings, i put martins M600's on mine as soon as it arrived

I had a no.5 thinbody for a while, sold it and immediately regretted it, now I have a maple no.4 from the 1970s. Lovely uke.

Steve

You one lucky buggah! I was jealous when Patricia had double uke day but you got the trifecta! Some will say quality over quantity and others will say quantity over quality but you have both!!

Since you asked PDX for a sound test, we want sound test with poll for all your sopranos!! No need to play that complicated jangly strumming to show off!!! LOL

Sweet! I love the walnut and spruce! Thanks for sharing.

Ever since I pulled out my Bruko this morning, it's been looking up at me with that "when am I going to get a brother or sister?" look.

Thanks a lot, Steve.

Top Bottom