arpeggio?

luckyends

Reaction score
how do you form or play arpeggio's on the ukulele?
i think i sort of have on
where i do make the form of a chord (any chord and play the c e a e c e strings in that order) can any one help explain these things to me cause i might just be completly lost

I don't know if this helps any. The following is an excerpt from Daniel Ho . . .
An arpeggio is when the notes of a chord are played in succession rather than simultaneously. Because 'ukulele strings do not sustain for very long, arpeggios are an effective way to keep chords sounding. They are a nice alternative to strumming by adding meldoic interest, dynamics and movement to the harmony.

I think you are on the right track. Playing an arpeggio is holding a chord form and playing the notes individually in succession rather than simultaneously. Typically, in rapid succession like the sweep arpeggios played by guitarists such as Yngwie Malmsteen.

ah ok just makin sure so i know this might sound silly
but if you have heard the song i will fallow you into the dark by death cab for cutie he is using arpegios in that right?

(im kinda trying to play that on uke so yeah)

anybody know of uke players doing sweeps?

There's a bunch of ukulele players that do sweeps. It's a hard thing to do but guys like Jake and James Hill do them flawlessly. Check out the end of Jakes "Heartbeat" and James' "Down the Rideau canal"

I try to do them too but I'm not as clean :/

Sweeping is a lot of fun! I do it all the time on guitar. I got it figured out on the uke now so I will try to put up some vids with some fast sweeping. As Dom mentioned Yngwie is good and Frank Gambale is the master at it. Basically it is very controlled struming. For example when you hold a chord like a G chord on the top 3 strings you have the notes D, G and B. You have to rake up and down the notes in succession. So first you hit the D then just before you hit the B you have to depress the D then before you hit the B you have to dress the G note. All in one down stroke. Then repeat in reverse. I just use my index fingernail as a pick and rake up and down the notes. You don't want the notes to ring together like a strum. You want each note to be clear.

Top Bottom