Homemade Uke Leashes?

AmberMuffinz

Reaction score
Does anyone have any homemade uke leashes / straps? Mind sharing pictures? I know the uke leash is pretty popular but 1. I'm poor. 2. I don't even have my uke yet LOL, but for future reference ya'know. 3. I want something more my style instead of just black.

I just want to see what people have done and what kind of patterns people have used along with materials. So, share your creations whether they look professional or not! Heh.

I just bought 5 or 6 of them as cheap as they are. You would probably spend more on materials and time spent making one then if you just bought one.

It's not very stylish, but a long boot lace or shoe string would work or even a long piece of cordage of any type. The Ukeleash itself though would be much easier to use if you are having to remove it and put it on frequently.

An older gentleman that comes to my uke group has one made out of an old neck tie. His wife stitched the bottom loop for him. I don't have any other information or pictures but at least you know a neck tie is long enough and they are dirt cheap at thrift stores if you don't already have one at home.

Nix

I use a lanyard with a hook I dug up from a friend's project box:

ZombieUkeStrap_zpsfece7b21.jpg

I just bought 5 or 6 of them as cheap as they are. You would probably spend more on materials and time spent making one then if you just bought one.
As usual, I agree with Mark.

If you order four, there's a 20% discount. (click tab at bottom of this page)
http://www.ukeleash.com/

@nix: I never thought about using a tie, but that makes sense! There are lots of neat looking ties around I bet they'd look great.

@Captain Simian: That looks great! A lanyard is a good idea, and one I also didn't think of!

@ Markr1 & coolkayaker1: I actually have a lot of materials so the actual cost wouldn't be too much, especially with awesome selection at thrift stores (you can find some cool stuff!) As mentioned I also want to make my own so it can have a pattern on the material or something instead of just a solid color strap, if that makes sense? Supporting the uke leash and buying from there is awesome as I have heard only good things, but I want something more than just a solid color. I was thinking about using cotton material and folding it / sewing it to fit right.

The Uke Leash already covered the ground you are looking to cover. Strikes me as silly to over it again. That said, a quick search of the UU archive will show you where everyone else went before Lori came along and solved the problem.

@ricdoug: Haha, that second link! That's too funny.

@Bill1: That's a good recommendation about belts. I always look at thrift store belts thinking of things to use them for!

@Harold O.: I don't really see it as silly since I want to make something out of fabric I find "cute." I'm a very crafty person so anything I can do myself I like to do as it puts more of a "me" spin on things I suppose. I also did search before I asked but only found minimal threads. Just wanted to see what other people were using and get ideas is all.

I plaited 5 lengths of soft cotton string. Tied a slip knot on one end and created a loop to go over my shoulder and wrapped the other end gently around the headstock a couple of times.
A ball of sting cost me around £0.80 ($1.30) and there is enough to make 4 or 5 of them. Bargain!

What makes it work? The body of the instrument is unsupported isn't it? Does the strumming arm still have to hold up the majority of the weight and keep it tight to the body? Wasn't the original intent to not need a strap button on the tail? Is it necessary to keep the body of the instrument in contact with the body of the player? Does it work with the back of the instrument exposed so the sound comes out of both the front and back?

I think its original intent was to support the head of the uke to facilitate the changing of chords without the head of the uke shifting positions or dropping. If you're concerned about holding the back of the uke too flush to the body all you have to do is push the head of the uke forward (away from the body) to open it up.

Last edited:
Well if you really want to do it your self, I would head to a craft store, off the top of my head I have seen a few things that would work for a strap & look nice and I don't even look at that stuff when I am there.
For what it's worth when I first started playing I thought I would never be able to hold a soprano, I started by resting in on my lap & still prefer that position, but with practice including walking around daily with the ukulele & playing holding it etc. it just got easier & easier. Now I can sit or stand, no strap needed.

Long shoelace: tie it around the waist of the ukulele over the soundhole, and the other end around the headstock. It works fine for us poor people.

I'm sure you could afford one of Lori's Uke leashes, they are great value for money and as said above, by the time you've put in the time and effort and materials it'll probably work out more expensive to make than to buy.

I think Amber's mistake was in her OP stating I'm poor, she has since repeated several times , it's not about the money. She wants to make her own, I understand that. I do as well. I like to do things myself, there is something very satisfying about making something yourself or having someone make you a present.

I made my own hard case for my Ukulele and it is a work of Art ( at least I think so ) I am just putting the finishing touches on a decorative stand for my Ukulele to sit in my music room that I think is spectacular. ( I will post pics when I can figure out how ) I am going have my daughter teach me how to knit so I can make my own strap that suits my personality and satisfies my desire to create.

There must be some interesting straps out there that people have made, I'm interested as well.

You know, I never thought about knitting / crocheting one, although I do crochet. That is also a great possibility and I may have to make more than one strap! I was also going to make my own hard case when I get my ukulele, I have seen several tutorials that use the box it originally came in. Adding a crafty side to my uke is certainly going to make our bond deeper I think! I'd love to see your homemade case :)

Don't have a picture handy but I've also made some out of ties. It's tied like a regular tie but the skinny end has a hook on it like the lanyard above. Works great and you can just wear the tie regular and no one knows about the hook. :)
@nix: I never thought about using a tie, but that makes sense! There are lots of neat looking ties around I bet they'd look great.

@Captain Simian: That looks great! A lanyard is a good idea, and one I also didn't think of!

@ Markr1 & coolkayaker1: I actually have a lot of materials so the actual cost wouldn't be too much, especially with awesome selection at thrift stores (you can find some cool stuff!) As mentioned I also want to make my own so it can have a pattern on the material or something instead of just a solid color strap, if that makes sense? Supporting the uke leash and buying from there is awesome as I have heard only good things, but I want something more than just a solid color. I was thinking about using cotton material and folding it / sewing it to fit right.

Top Bottom