PDA

View Full Version : 47th Season of the Ukulele: Get to Work!

Pages : [1] 2

GinnyT11
01-05-2013, 06:27 PM

"You don't like your job? There's a support group for that.
It's called Everyone, and they meet in the bar." --Drew Carey

Holiday fun is over. Done. Fini. It's back to spending thought, energy and gas to earn a dollar or two in return. It's the old grind, the salt mine, the rat race...well, Seasonistas, let's ukeify this situation!
This Season's songs must reference an aspect of WORKING in the title or as a primary concept in the lyrics. Just a passing mention of it (e.g., "After work we began our killing spree...") will not count for your entry.
Now...heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to work we go!

Work encompasses these ideas:

being in the work place (office/factory/vehicle/route/ranch/shop/warehouse)
doing work tasks
the work day or end of one; retiring from work
a person in a job (e.g., "Marian the Librarian")
lost a job, looking for a job, hate my job, quitting a job
the boss, The Man, il patron ("Won't Get Fooled Again" won't count—it's not about working.)
salary, paycheck, payday (IF it's a key concept!)

Parameters
+ Say it's for the 47th week in the video.
+ Uke must be primary instrument.
+ Original songs are welcome. Instrumentals are welcome.
+ Visuals about working are invited. Multitrack if you want. Dress in work gear if you want.
+ Bonuses limited to 3, though you can cancel one if you add one you like better. (I will try to comment on all bonuses too.)
+ No posting till Sunday, Jan. 6!

Judging
My dear husband, MrT—an excellent uke player and a teacher of performers—will join me in judging. We will select winners based on the overall effect of your song: your uking + your individual style + how they match the song. Don't measure yourself against others; if you're doing something cool in your own way, you can wow us.

Prizes
Three winners each get a set of SOUTHCOAST strings, courtesy of Dirk Wormhoudt at Southcoast Ukulele & Guitar Company! Yay, Dirk!
(The Southcoast site is under renovation, but later this week you'll see lots of good information about which string brings out what sound. You'll get to choose your set! http://southcoastukes.com/)

I encourage and applaud first-time video posters! It's a hard first step, and to reward you for making it, I'll send you a very useful invisibility cloak. I got some on sale.

Good luck!
—Ginny

ENTRIES PLAYLIST (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9BbtugDPwVNFeaLgv62CL8Vk71r32eCW&feature=view_all)

BONUSES (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9BbtugDPwVMiZxNRFMTeDzNxpBh3iQia&feature=view_all)

ukuloonie
01-05-2013, 06:34 PM
woohoo Ginny looks great

uke4ia
01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Ginny, I do have an original that fits this theme. Now I just have to remember how to play it.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Perfect timing, Ginny. It's back to community college math instructing for me on Monday after a terrific winter break. Hopefully my well-relaxed brains will still be good for math-explainin'. Wish me luck.

myrnaukelele
01-05-2013, 07:48 PM
omg I just googled songs about my profession and found an entire pinterest board of youtube vids people have made on the subject. I have been watching and laughing my head off for the last hour. Getting some good ideas from these...

TCK
01-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Mel is going to have to tie me up to not get me to post before tomorrow...
GREAT THEME!
Hat is off to you and of course and as always to Mr. Dirk

Barbablanca
01-05-2013, 10:58 PM
We're still on holiday here until Tuesday ;) Let's hear it for the Three Kings :)
I've got an original that's just right for this week!!!

wee_ginga_yin
01-05-2013, 11:16 PM
This is a bonus I did some time ago called the Ballad of John Henry.
It is a song full of lessons.
1) If you are born with a hammer in your hand... your mother has probably had a tough birth.
but regardless you should not consider yourself predestined to busting rocks with a sledgehammer
2) If your job is threatened by a machine... 9 times out of 10 the machine will win.
3) Never let your job consume you for in the end it will kill you
4) At your grave most likely it is only the inanimate objects that will mark your demise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2oQcoMGflo

xommen
01-06-2013, 05:03 AM
It has been the 6th for some time already here in the Netherlands, so here is my entry.
An original I wrote for this season: Working on a song about working

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw2PfScJNVc

greyghost
01-06-2013, 06:57 AM
OK, so here's my very first ever seasons entry! It's an original blues song I just wrote, a tongue-in-cheek look at how easy some of our politicians etc. think we professors have it.
Enjoy!
Luis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3vVt5poN2I&feature=youtu.be

GinnyT11
01-06-2013, 07:59 AM
OK, so here's my very first ever seasons entry! It's an original blues song I just wrote, a tongue-in-cheek look at how easy some of our politicians etc. think we professors have it.
Enjoy! Luis

Luis, what a great first Seasons post! You'll be getting one of those invisibility cloaks.

Very nice blues playing! I laughed at the lyrics because my husband is a humanities professor and we know exactly what you're talking about.

GinnyT11
01-06-2013, 08:22 AM
It has been the 6th for some time already here in the Netherlands, so here is my entry. An original I wrote for this season: Working on a song about working

That's like being between opposing mirrors. Maybe you thought so too, as you seemed to be smiling more than in some previous videos. Nice strum pattern, and I appreciate the original writing.

There must be some U2 song about working; I'm sure you'll find it for a bonus.

xommen
01-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks Ginny, If there was an obvious U2 song about working it would have been my entry I guess ;).
I do have some other bonus stashed away, that will surface if nobody else does that song.

CountryMouse
01-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Enjoy!
Luis

OMG I love it! My reaction at the end--chuckle chuckle chuckle. Love it!

CountryMouse

Barbablanca
01-06-2013, 09:00 AM
Nice one Xomenn! Keep on working! ;)

Luis!!! Welcome to the seasons - what a gutsy performance!

I'm an Associate Lecturer in Translation, so I really know where you're coming from on that Blues man! ;) I could identify with the whole scenario - except the health care and the tenure - us "Associates" are the lowest of the low. :(

CountryMouse
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Ginny,

Do I necessarily need to say the Season it is in the same part as the singing part of my song? The reason I ask is that I have a long talky intro I need to do to explain some of the history of the song. I would hate to have to do all that over. I was planning on doing the talking part separate from the singing part. However, if the Seasons mention needs to be in the singing part, just let me know. :)

Thanks!

CountryMouse

GinnyT11
01-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Do I necessarily need to say the Season it is in the same part as the singing part of my song? The reason I ask is that I have a long talky intro I need to do to explain some of the history of the song. I would hate to have to do all that over. I was planning on doing the talking part separate from the singing part. However, if the Seasons mention needs to be in the singing part, just let me know. :) Thanks! CountryMouse

I'm not sure we've ever had a talking video separate from a singing video. You may wish to put the history of the song in the text of the post to support the singing video. I wouldn't put the talking video on the playlist.

If you're doing it all together, you could say, "This is for the 47th Season. The story behind the song is..."
Or perhaps just say briefly at the end when you've got a good take: "Week 47. Work week."

Does this answer your question?

OldePhart
01-06-2013, 10:14 AM
This is so appropriate for me right now, Ginny. Unfortunately, the part that makes it so appropriate is all the overtime they're dragging out of us on this project! I really hope to be able to throw something on camera...but if not I should get a "by week" because it's my job that will be keeping me from recording an entry!

John

Joko
01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Great concept, Ginny!

Hmm... I don't think there are any songs that deal directly with my current (soon to be ending) line of work, selling major home appliances. Money for Nothing comes kinda close, but it's about custom kitchen delivery (deliverayayay, to be more accurate)...

I work for a big corporation, and like many such entities these days, we have our own internal social networking site with tens of thousands of users. I composed the following cover of "Appliance Man" for that group, and although it would be a lot more amusing if you understood what SSEI, ASM, SPIFFS and CSA's meant, I would like to share this a preliminary bonus entry...

http://youtu.be/3tDCrK-yaO4

elmann
01-06-2013, 10:50 AM
greyghost> how easy some ... have it.

Hey greyghost, nice office you have! ;)

Tootler
01-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Ginny,

Do I necessarily need to say the Season it is in the same part as the singing part of my song? The reason I ask is that I have a long talky intro I need to do to explain some of the history of the song. I would hate to have to do all that over. I was planning on doing the talking part separate from the singing part. However, if the Seasons mention needs to be in the singing part, just let me know. :)

Thanks!

CountryMouse

In one season, I can't remember which now, I had done that many takes that I ended up forgetting to add the bit about which season and the theme so, once I had a decent take, I recorded a separate, short clip with the necessary information and used my video editor to add it on to the end of the song video. Worked fine and the host didn't comment.

Could you do the same with you song info? Record it separately like you suggest, then use a video editor to combine the two videos into one.

GinnyT11
01-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Great concept, Ginny!

Hmm... I don't think there are any songs that deal directly with my current (soon to be ending) line of work, selling major home appliances. Money for Nothing comes kinda close, but it's about custom kitchen delivery (deliverayayay, to be more accurate)...
I work for a big corporation, and like many such entities these days, we have our own internal social networking site with tens of thousands of users. I composed the following cover of "Appliance Man" for that group, and although it would be a lot more amusing if you understood what SSEI, ASM, SPIFFS and CSA's meant, I would like to share this a preliminary bonus entry...

Joko, this is hiliarious! I hadn't any idea about the inner life of an appliance salesman. I will be sure to treat them with especial respect from now on. I'm glad you kept going through the blips, and I liked the art you put in too.

CountryMouse
01-06-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm not sure we've ever had a talking video separate from a singing video. You may wish to put the history of the song in the text of the post to support the singing video. I wouldn't put the talking video on the playlist.

If you're doing it all together, you could say, "This is for the 47th Season. The story behind the song is..."
Or perhaps just say briefly at the end when you've got a good take: "Week 47. Work week."

Does this answer your question?

Oh, I think I wasn't clear. I have an intro I need to do (explanatory about the song), then I'm going to fade into the song. In other words, not necessarily one take. But one video. But I can do that about saying at the end, "Week 47 of Seasons of the Ukulele". On the title screen I'll also put what week it is and "Get to Work!"

Thanks!

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
01-06-2013, 11:41 AM
In one season, I can't remember which now, I had done that many takes that I ended up forgetting to add the bit about which season and the theme so, once I had a decent take, I recorded a separate, short clip with the necessary information and used my video editor to add it on to the end of the song video. Worked fine and the host didn't comment.

Could you do the same with you song info? Record it separately like you suggest, then use a video editor to combine the two videos into one.

That's exactly what I intended to do: fade from the intro into the best take I can get for the song. I was just checking to see where to say "Season 47 of the Seasons of the Ukulele" is all. :)

Thanks!

CountryMouse

GinnyT11
01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
That's exactly what I intended to do: fade from the intro into the best take I can get for the song. I was just checking to see where to say "Season 47 of the Seasons of the Ukulele" is all. :) Thanks! CountryMouse

Sounds fine. I look forward to your post.

Barbablanca
01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Would any of our female seasonistas who haven't already committed to a song be interested in performing one of mine?. It is a song to be sung by a woman. It is about a 19th Century lass who is bewailing how "Work" has destroyed the life essence of all the men she has had in her life.

If anyone is interested I'll do you a quick recording to let you know how the tune goes. The chords below will probably shift out of sequence when I post. But once you've heard the song you can work out where they should go .

PM me if you're interested. If no-one picks up on the idea I'll try and find time to do it as a bonus. But I really would love to hear this sung by a woman.

Sons of the Soil (Intro: Am – G – Am)

Am C
I once had a farmer plough more than my land
G Am G Am
Whose eyes watched the floor as we walked hand in hand.
C
Then he left my fields fallow for nearly two years,
G Am G Am
When he left I could find no reason for tears.

G Am
Pity the lad, pity for the wife of him
G Am
Pity their joyless days.
G Am
Curse on them all – those who took the life from them
F G Am
Took it in so many ways.

Once with a seaman I set out to sail,
I loved his dark eyes and his jet-black pigtail.
But he’d cry on my pillow as we lay in our bunk,
Till my hope for his vessel struck a rock and was sunk. (CHORUS)

Once with a soldier I set up my camp,
And soothed his deep wounds by the light of a lamp.
But his love of the battle set my blood running cold,
His soul had been bought when his body was sold. (CHORUS)

I once had a miner to share my sleep,
Who scratched at the surface, but never went deep.
He created a nightmare from a beautiful dream,
And left me as barren as a water filled seam. (CHORUS)

A mill worker finally spun me in his arms,
And wove quite a tale of his life, love and charms.
Back and forth went his shuttle, till I was consumed,
Then abandoned with child and in the workhouse entombed. (CHORUS)

Now as I stand here counting the cost,
Of the pain I have gained, or the pleasure I've lost.
I curse at the masters and their back breaking toil,
Destroying the life in the sons of the soil. (CHORUS)

optofonik
01-06-2013, 01:34 PM
That's really cool. Great lyrical cadence (reminds me of the breakdown in that lovely duet between Shane and Kirsty). I hope you get someone to record their performance of it.

pabrizzer
01-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Matthew and Son by once Steven Demetre Georgiou, then Cat Stevens, now Yusuf Islam.
Not perfect with botched chords and I really blew the ending but too many takes and it starts to feel like work to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZi1TZVPthQ

GinnyT11
01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
Matthew and Son by once Steven Demetre Georgiou, then Cat Stevens, now Yusuf Islam. Not perfect with botched chords and I really blew the ending but too many takes and it starts to feel like work to me.

Imperfect is still a very nice take, briz! I liked that a lot, even though it's about a dreary, soul-killing place to work. What do you think they make there?
Nice on the sliding and vibrato chords, and I loved that you wore a Derby and got out your Town brolly and case.

pabrizzer
01-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Imperfect is still a very nice take, briz! I liked that a lot, even though it's about a dreary, soul-killing place to work. What do you think they make there?
Nice on the sliding and vibrato chords, and I loved that you wore a Derby and got out your Town brolly and case.
I imagine it to be an accounting, insurance or law firm - something to do with the importance of perusing paper work.
Glad you noticed the briefcase and umbrella. Good theme Ginny - should bring out some good songs.

OldePhart
01-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Well...I just went and wrote a song for your season Ginny. Now we'll see if I get a chance to practice and record it some time this week!

John

GinnyT11
01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Well...I just went and wrote a song for your season Ginny. Now we'll see if I get a chance to practice and record it some time this week!
John

Oh, cool! Is it about building the Panama Canal?

OldePhart
01-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Oh, cool! Is it about building the Panama Canal?

No...it's about my real job...I just built that silly little ditch for pocket money one weekend... :)

GinnyT11
01-06-2013, 03:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWO_AIh8drk

Is anyone here a trucker? I'd love to hear a uke version (baritone of course) of "CONVOY," the 1976 novelty song that made CB radios popular as home electronics. Here's the original singer. There's a little banjo in here too.

000Kanaka000
01-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Oh man i used to be a trucker maybe can do this as a bonus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWO_AIh8drk

Is anyone here a trucker? I'd love to hear a uke version (baritone of course) of "CONVOY," the 1976 novelty song that made CB radios popular as home electronics. Here's the original singer. There's a little banjo in here too.

000Kanaka000
01-06-2013, 04:43 PM
OK here is my entry - Not now or ever my profession but thought this one
is a great song - definitely an on the job song. Hope some enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5hVRPpGiRQ&feature=youtu.be

000Kanaka000
01-06-2013, 05:06 PM
OOOPS was thinking of Eastbound and Down - Convoy is definitely better done
by a Deep Voice and better made with a couple of people . But both songs were
favorites of the trucking days. He calls them swindle logs we called them cheat
sheets as all truckers had to run dual logs due to time restrictions on how long
one could drive at a stretch.

OldePhart
01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Okay...found half of my Dilbert costume and threw this recording together quick using the crummy web cam instead of proper equipment. It'll have to do as I doubt that I'll get a chance to do a proper recording of anything for a while...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKfmUjBgCM&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NKfmUjBgCM&feature=youtu.be

Pretty rough but fun. I wrote this in about 30 minutes, fired up the crummy web cam, and recorded it. This was the second or third take. I literally wrote the part about "endless loops" on the fly - I was planning to end the song there and literally at the very last second that line came to me so I threw it in, crossing my fingers that I wouldn't butcher the take as I knew that was about all I had time for.

The song is a loose parody of "Coal Miner's Blues" which was recorded by the Carter Family in the 1920's. Maybe when I have more time I'll set up a proper camera and microphones and do a decent job of it.

I couldn't find the wire I use to curl my tie up, nor my pocket protector, and my wife was almost out of mousse so I couldn't get my hair to stand up good, so this is as close to Dilbert as I can come on such short notice... :)

This was written and recorded for the 47th Season of the Ukulele at UkuleleUnderground.com and played on my new Pono baritone uke.

Now...it's off to bed for me 'cause 5:30 AM is going to come miserably early...

John

GinnyT11
01-06-2013, 06:06 PM

Ah, the seamy side of Cole Porter. Any Cole Porter is good in my book. Very nicely played and sung. Thanks.

pootsie
01-06-2013, 06:14 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5hVRPpGiRQ&feature=youtu.be

That was wonderful!

ukuloonie
01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Hi Ginny
I have updated the 'Putting together the Seasons week'
with the playlists and bonus lists, thank-you for doing that for us.
I am updating all of the weeks to contain clickable links
to the original season of that weeks forum as well as
a link to the hosts youtube page as well.
And links to the finalists and any 2nd or 3rd winners with links to the songs they sang.

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Okay...found half of my Dilbert costume and threw this recording together quick using the crummy web cam instead of proper equipment. It'll have to do as I doubt that I'll get a chance to do a proper recording of anything for a while...
The song is a loose parody of "Coal Miner's Blues" which was recorded by the Carter Family in the 1920's.
This was written and recorded for the 47th Season of the Ukulele at UkuleleUnderground.com and played on my new Pono baritone uke. Now...it's off to bed for me 'cause 5:30 AM is going to come miserably early...John

What a terrific song! I love old-IBM look of white shirt and pens. Be sure to play this song at work (if you're allowed a break)---you will be the musical hero of cubicle row. I'm really glad you got this in this week.

Sorry about your work schedule. I worked a while with Dr. Fred Brooks, a famous computer scientist who coined "Brooks' Law," which posits that adding people to a late software project will make it later. I hope your bosses haven't "rewarded" you with some extra help.

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 04:43 AM
I have updated the 'Putting together the Seasons week' with the playlists and bonus lists. I am updating all of the weeks to contain clickable links to the original season of that weeks forum as well as a link to the hosts youtube page as well. And links to the finalists and any 2nd or 3rd winners with links to the songs they sang.

Thanks for all this work, Drew. It makes the Seasons and its people much more accessible when we want to go back and look at something again.

Now, are you working on a song for this week...?

ukuloonie
01-07-2013, 07:27 AM
yup trying to find one that works for me.

Hippie Dribble
01-07-2013, 08:44 AM
thanks Ginny for hosting this week. here's my bash at a work song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SizcUsMymlo

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 09:39 AM

That was a jumping, cheery tune for a blues song, though the lyrics certainly tell of the grueling life working in a mill. I like "taking a uke to heaven to spool." I like historical songs, and I really like your picking/strumming mix.

Winnsboro's actually just a few miles south of the NC line, in South Carolina. It didn't prosper much beyond mill work, and in the 2000 census had only about 3500 residents. Not far away, a community was crushed in 2003 when the factory Pillowtex couldn't meet its debt and closed, ending 6000 jobs.
Textiles used to be a huge industry in the southeast. In our little NC town is a former textile mill made into a quaint shopping mall. Uke Republic near Atlanta is in a mall made from a former thread mill.

Freeda
01-07-2013, 10:08 AM
This one I made a bit ago, so if the lack of mention of the season is a dealbreaker so be it. But I thought it fit the theme anyway. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znHl7Nb8xwE&list=PLB457233661A08B4E&index=1

decaturcomp
01-07-2013, 10:24 AM
A song about how my business ruined another business that I wish were my business.
However...I wish even more that the excellent folks in the ruined business could spend more time working and less time looking for work or trying to make ends meet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fsUtdhIPso

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 11:17 AM
This one I made a bit ago, so if the lack of mention of the season is a dealbreaker so be it. But I thought it fit the theme anyway. :)

Ms. Saucy Freeda, that was an unalloyed delight! An interesting original song, plus you sing beautifully and have a nice, easy relationship with your Griffin Pinecone uke.

The song is indeed about working, and I'm glad you posted it, but I'm going to put it among the bonuses, as it was not recorded for this Season.
Having said that, I am spreading out a colorful little carpet for you as an invitation to record an entry for this Get to Work Season. And please make the Seasons weeks regular stops for you on the Forum!

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
A song about how my business ruined another business that I wish were my business. However...I wish even more that the excellent folks in the ruined business could spend more time working and less time looking for work or trying to make ends meet...

Alan, that was nicely done, with a poignancy that borders on melancholy. You heightened the feeling of the lyrics with your gentle picking and your own personal feelings.

I think people working in the newspaper business feel like that too because practically all the news is free now on the 'net.

Garydavkra
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Cool! If it weren't for us liberal arts people, the world would be a pretty boring place, in my opinion. Way to go! I really liked it. :D

Enjoy!
Luis

decaturcomp
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
{{shudder}} A Bonus about writing computer code and working in an office {{/shudder}}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjpRTM8eucA

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Cool! If it wasn't for us liberal arts people, the world would be a pretty boring place, in my opinion. Way to go! I really liked it. :D

Right, Gary. I read once that the only thing a liberal arts degree prepared you for was to do crossword puzzles in ink. But liberal arts grads are interesting dinner partners and would have good desert-island conversation.

wee_ginga_yin
01-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Another bonus. I hope I can get around to doing an official entry.
This song is about poverty and joblessness. Poverty, hunger, famine
are usually the causes of mass migration from one country to another,
and today it is the unemployed who move across borders the most
seeking a better life. So many inequalities. Times are getting hard boys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfCAkNHhMvI

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 12:21 PM
{{shudder}} A Bonus about writing computer code and working in an office {{/shudder}}

Oh, the poor, poor Code Monkey...will he ever find receptionist love?
I got a kick out of that, Alan.

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Another bonus. I hope I can get around to doing an official entry.
This song is about poverty and joblessness. Poverty, hunger, famine are usually the causes of mass migration from one country to another, and today it is the unemployed who move across borders the most seeking a better life. So many inequalities. Times are getting hard boys.

Rob, this is quite sad, with the idea of leaving home to find the hope of a future. I feel like I've just read The Grapes of Wrath.
I like your multi-tracking on this, and the photos are quite interesting.

bbbannister
01-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Liked Matthew & Sons a lot :-)

BobB

Garydavkra
01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
That was great, Brizzer. Well done and a nice sounding baritone. I know what you mean by all the takes. I usually just post the best of the worst.:rolleyes:

Matthew and Son by once Steven Demetre Georgiou, then Cat Stevens, now Yusuf Islam.
Not perfect with botched chords and I really blew the ending but too many takes and it starts to feel like work to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZi1TZVPthQ

OldePhart
01-07-2013, 02:11 PM

Ha! I almost did this one but decided to write the original instead. Having spent over twenty years in this particular trench there is so much in Jonathan Coulton's song that I can relate to!

Fortunately, I happen to love being a code monkey to the point that I've turned down promotions because I finally learned that I'm not happy unless I'm making a computer do my bidding! BWAAAA-HAAAA-HAAAAAA Down simba! Back Mac! Jump Java! Hyaah!

John

Jazzbanjorex
01-07-2013, 02:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxLLdBXCLT0&feature=youtu.be
I hope no one has done this one Yet!!! It's about the bestest job ever.

Hippie Dribble
01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
1886. John Hory.

The movement for the eight hour day for American workers is one of the beacon lights in the history of the American labour movement. Starting during the Civil war, the high point of the fight was reached in 1886 when 340,000 workers demonstrated on May 1st in more than a dozen cities. as a consequence of the demonstration in Chicago, the famous Haymarket Square frame-up ensued. In 1877, four leaders of the eight-hour day movement in Chicago - the "Haymarket Martyrs" - were executed.

The miners were among the first to win the eight-hour day. Their victory was achieved during the strike of 1897, fought specifically for that reason.

These two verses are from a longer song called "The Knights Of Labor Strike", written by John Hory. The tune, known as "Wild Amerikay" is from colonial times. I learned the song from an old Pete Seeger LP, 'American Industrial Ballads', originally issued on Folkways in 1956. bonus song I guess!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beenprw4Yho

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM

That was a funny one, Rex. I have a superhero's memory that goes back to what TV was like in 1959, and that "Popeye cartoon in just a minute" was a key part of kids' TV. That's a job worth leaving Omaha for. Clearly, everything's up to date in Kansas City.

pabrizzer
01-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Real GOOD!! Is it one of yours?
Why didn't you wear your cowboy gear?
I did enjoy this so much! Thanks Rex.

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 02:54 PM
1886. John Hory.
The movement for the eight hour day for American workers is one of the beacon lights in the history of the American labour movement. Starting during the Civil war, the high point of the fight was reached in 1886 when 340,000 workers demonstrated on May 1st in more than a dozen cities. as a consequence of the demonstration in Chicago, the famous Haymarket Square frame-up ensued. In 1877, four leaders of the eight-hour day movement in Chicago - the "Haymarket Martyrs" - were executed.
The miners were among the first to win the eight-hour day. Their victory was achieved during the strike of 1897, fought specifically for that reason.
These two verses are from a longer song called "The Knights Of Labor Strike", written by John Hory. The tune, known as "Wild Amerikay" is from colonial times. I learned the song from an old Pete Seeger LP, 'American Industrial Ballads', originally issued on Folkways in 1956. bonus song I guess!

It's hard to imagine now what it was like to have mine and mill owners set the number of hours of work.
Jon, this is a musical specialty of yours, this era. Your call-to-arms rendition would have stirred the workers' hearts at a clandestine gathering, I'm sure.

pabrizzer
01-07-2013, 03:10 PM
OK. A bonus entry written by UUs own drbekken - A Working Man Will Always be a Slave
Saw it on YouTube and did a cover before joining UU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1VAzFM0fNc

TCK
01-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Well, at the very least, I am fairly certain I hold the title of "The person to do the most Merle Haggard covers" for the Ukulele community.
How about another one, after a long day...first one back after two weeks, 200 kids enthusiastic to learn and one brain dead teacher longing for his PJ's.
Sorry I got a little over enthusiastic with my foot tapping- they add to the theme I suppose. Tasmanian Blunnies, because sometimes science requires work boots ;)
Great theme Ginny-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A0gldjyn3M&feature=youtu.be

gyosh
01-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Well, at the very least, I am fairly certain I hold the title of "The person to do the most Merle Haggard covers" for the Ukulele community.
How about another one, after a long day...first one back after two weeks, 200 kids enthusiastic to learn and one brain dead teacher longing for his PJ's.
Sorry I got a little over enthusiastic with my foot tapping- they add to the theme I suppose. Tasmanian Blunnies, because sometimes science requires work boots ;)
Great theme Ginny-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A0gldjyn3M&feature=youtu.be

Where's the resonator?

Well done sir, I enjoyed that!!

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Well, at the very least, I am fairly certain I hold the title of "The person to do the most Merle Haggard covers" for the Ukulele community. How about another one, after a long day...first one back after two weeks, 200 kids enthusiastic to learn and one brain dead teacher longing for his PJ's.
Great theme Ginny-

In Tony the Tiger voice: That's greAT!, Dave!! Woohoo! You don't look brain dead at all.

Great strumming---it's a lot of verve for the blues. I love the lyrics: he's a beaten-down working man, but he's still moderate ("have a little beer") in his habits. I hope you'll do some more Merle Haggard, as his style is right in your wheelhouse, er, classroom.

GinnyT11
01-07-2013, 04:11 PM
OK. A bonus entry written by UUs own drbekken - A Working Man Will Always be a Slave. Saw it on YouTube and did a cover before joining UU.

Very well sung and played. You bring a somberness to it that implies you might have been a working "slave" for a while. I hope not.

~dave~~wave~
01-07-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm as big a hypocrite as anybody, buying slave labor ukes, shoes and clothes, but by golly I know who to thank when I get overtime pay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpD7C8VrUJI

pabrizzer
01-07-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm as big a hypocrite as anybody, buying slave labor ukes, shoes and clothes, but by golly I know who to thank when I get overtime pay.

Yeah Dave!!!
If CAPITAL had its way there would still be 12 year old kids working down the mines!
But a lot of my stuff comes from where labor is a couple of bucks a day too.
Love your "work" mate!

drbekken
01-07-2013, 10:28 PM
http://youtu.be/cAcu12p8sws

Here's my entry - a song I wrote myself, inspired by the likes of Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie et al...
Child labor is a nasty business.

pabrizzer
01-07-2013, 10:57 PM

Here's my entry - a song I wrote myself, inspired by the likes of Pete Seeger, Woody Guthrie et al...

Yes it is doc! And more widespread than one might think.
Real good performance!

wee_ginga_yin
01-08-2013, 12:43 AM
At one time I was keen on songs from the great depression, and I put together
a small series using photos from Flickr that belonged to "The Commons" (http://www.flickr.com/commons)
I first heard Ry Cooder sing this song, and it seems that the themes of rising prices,
joblessness, and exorbitant health care bills, runs through history from that day to this.
When times get hard the only thing to do is to play music and dance... it's free... at least
for the moment.
Everything changes but everything remains the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BncsaIZT-nM

Barbablanca
01-08-2013, 01:00 AM
A few years ago I had a conversation with a Moroccan guy who was our waiter at a beach-side restaurant. I made some remark supposing that he was working there because there was not much work where he came from. He laughed ironically and put me straight: "Work?" he said "There is loads of work! What there isn't, is money! My father has to work hard on the fields for three months in our home village to earn what I earn in a week here from tips alone."

We conversed about going home, being an economic exile, being caught between two cultures, etc. ... and then he had to deal with other customers. When I got home this song kind of wrote itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b14Bn4r0yVw&feature=youtube_gdata

LYRICS:

Year after Year

G C
The morning bus winds up the mountain side,
D
Leaving the village far behind.
G C
Farewell to the pines, farewell to the orange groves
G D
Whisper those who cannot sleep.

Bm C
They say there’s no work left in the valley now
D
But all I see are unattended fields.
Bm C
It isn’t work, but money that’s lacking here
G
That keeps us from going home
D G
Keeps us from all we’ve known
D G
Leaves us nothing to call our own
D G
Year after year

The man at my side, he was a carpenter.
The one behind the driver he used to weave.
Now we work shifts in a car assembly line
They fit the doors, while I fit the wheels.

CHORUS

Em D
Year after year the same old story.
Em D
Year after year the dream of return.
Em C D
Year after year the promise is fading into black
C D
Only the winter ever returns year after year.

Swamped by the crowds we nod our brief farewells
Our bodies are here, but our souls are left far behind
I can’t stand the noise – The air is too thick to breathe
And I can’t block you out of my mind.

CHORUS

pabrizzer
01-08-2013, 01:16 AM
A few years ago I had a conversation with a Moroccan guy who was our waiter at a beach-side restaurant. I made some remark supposing that he was working there because there was not much work where he came from. He laughed ironically and put me straight: "Work?" he said "There is loads of work! What there isn't, is money! My father has to work hard on the fields for three months in our home village to earn what I earn in a week here from tips alone."

We conversed about going home, being an economic exile, being caught between two cultures, etc. ... and then he had to deal with other customers. When I got home this song kind of wrote itself.

Yes. It's a good one Berni. I think this is my favourite of all that I've seen.
You'll have to add that Yamaha guitalele to your list of instruments in your signature.:)

wee_ginga_yin
01-08-2013, 02:25 AM

In Finland the EU have initiated a policy called "pakketipelto" or packaged fields
whereby farmers are payed to not grow anything, since over production causes
the price of certain grains to fall. Even if you wanted to grow something it would
economically unwise to do it... cause you would loose other subsidies.

How crazy is that? Great song by the way.

decaturcomp
01-08-2013, 02:58 AM
"Paying farmers not to grow crops was a substitute for agricultural price support programs designed to ensure that farmers could always sell their crops for enough to support themselves. The price support program meant that farmers had to incur the expense of plowing their fields, fertilizing, irrigating, spraying, and harvesting them, and then selling their crops to the government, which stored them in silos until they either rotted or were consumed by rodents. It was much cheaper just to pay farmers not to grow the crops in the first place."
-PBS
I suppose we, in the United States of Monsanto, could stop all price supports. That might result in a massive increase in certain imports and the final death knell of the family farm, though. When I was young there was a comedy sketch program that interviewed a farmer with a completely fallow plot of land. He pointed to various corners saying, "That's where they pay me not to plant soybeans and that's where they pay me not to plant corn and..."

In Finland the EU have initiated a policy called "pakketipelto" or packaged fields
whereby farmers are payed to not grow anything, since over production causes
the price of certain grains to fall. Even if you wanted to grow something it would
economically unwise to do it... cause you would loose other subsidies.

How crazy is that? Great song by the way.

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 04:37 AM

BraVO, Dave! Great performance, and with a little trademark Wavey hamminess, which is always fun.

What a rousing song---the only union song I know is the one in the advertisement, "Look for the Union Label," which was aimed at consumers. This was to solidify the hearts and minds of workers. Thanks for this presentation, costume and support playing included.

Garydavkra
01-08-2013, 04:39 AM
Wow, that's a another great song, Bernie. You are the master song writer in this group! You prove it over and over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b14Bn4r0yVw&feature=youtube_gdata

LYRICS:

Year after Year

G C
The morning bus winds up the mountain side,
D
Leaving the village far behind.
G C
Farewell to the pines, farewell to the orange groves
G D
Whisper those who cannot sleep.

Bm C
They say there’s no work left in the valley now
D
Bm C
It isn’t work, but money that’s lacking here
G
That keeps us from going home
D G
Keeps us from all we’ve known
D G
Leaves us nothing to call our own
D G
Year after year

The man at my side, he was a carpenter.
The one behind the driver he used to weave.
Now we work shifts in a car assembly line
They fit the doors, while I fit the wheels.

CHORUS

Em D
Year after year the same old story.
Em D
Year after year the dream of return.
Em C D
Year after year the promise is fading into black
C D
Only the winter ever returns year after year.

Swamped by the crowds we nod our brief farewells
Our bodies are here, but our souls are left far behind
I can’t stand the noise – The air is too thick to breathe
And I can’t block you out of my mind.

CHORUS

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 04:46 AM

This is a great swinging tune about a dismal working situation. You have a very distinctive style in all your videos, which I admire greatly. I like the scatting and your easy travels up and down that baritone fretboard. Terrific, Tor.
How old is the narrator of the song if he's talking about younger siblings? In your mind, did that guy work for The Man, and where is he working now?

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 04:56 AM

Berni, this is why we should travel. It's almost impossible to know really what's going on for people elsewhere unless we see them and talk with them.
You are a really fine songwriter. Your good ideas are presented with poetic imagery and suffused with heart and sympathy. Then you sing them well—it's a skill package most of us only dream of. I'm sure you're keeping all these works, and I hope we'll someday have a Berni book of songs.

Can you do a bonus that's more whimsical?

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 05:44 AM
NOTES:

:) This theme has yielded some important and thoughtful songs about oppressiveness in exploitive work situations. I admire your research and thank you. I hope we'll also get some slightly more upbeat songs about work and jobs.
(I thought it would be neat to rewrite "A Day in the Life" to be a happy song about landing work: "I got a job today, oh boy..." I can't do it. Anyone?

:) I've been posting the songs to the playlist as I comment on them. Please make sure that I've got yours on there.

:) When you click "Reply with Quote," you can shorten the post by removing the part between the two [video] marks.

:cool: And you guests who are reading the threads...register on UU and jump in to the Seasons!

Jazzbanjorex
01-08-2013, 07:35 AM
That was a funny one, Rex. I have a superhero's memory that goes back to what TV was like in 1959, and that "Popeye cartoon in just a minute" was a key part of kids' TV. That's a job worth leaving Omaha for. Clearly, everything's up to date in Kansas City.
I get to play my ukulele for the kiddies at church on Sundays so this song is close to home. My mom played this 33 1/3 LP a lot when I was a kid and as a kid I loved after school children's programming.

Jazzbanjorex
01-08-2013, 07:44 AM
Real GOOD!! Is it one of yours?
Why didn't you wear your cowboy gear?
I did enjoy this so much! Thanks Rex.

DOH! I should have dressed the part. No, it is not one of my own. It is a Roger Miller song from 1965 that I heard a lot as a kid. I happen to be listening to this last week so when this "Occupation" theme came this week I thought it was fitting. Also, because I do play my ukulele for little kiddies on Sundays at Church. So I'm kind of a "Kansas City Star" myself. Just not a hero in a supermarket parking lot yet.

strumsilly
01-08-2013, 08:08 AM
]Here's an upbeat song [just kidding]. My stepdaughter suggested it, and my apologies to John Hartford for butchering his song.
http://youtu.be/7hdZ63LOd9g

xommen
01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
To me this is the ultimate song about working, as a bonus my take on working man by Rush.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTcqniOA0fQ

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 08:18 AM
]Here's an upbeat song [just kidding]. My stepdaughter suggested it, and my apologies to John Hartford for butchering his song.

Andy, that was a good recommendation from your stepdaughter. It's a thought that most of us have at some time when we're wondering how important work is to our real selves.
Thank you for this gentle, thoughtful rendition.

ksiegel
01-08-2013, 08:36 AM
My first entry. I'm working on another that is almost too close for comfort, and plan to record it if I can finally make it all the way through the song.

This one, however, is not about any of my former occupations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JdtIxcpeSs

-Kurt

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 08:38 AM
To me this is the ultimate song about working, as a bonus my take on working man by Rush.

You're a rocker at heart, Wim. Did you play in a band? Nice strum on that.
This "working man" concept—in this Rush song and in others—lays out a bleak life, but in the union song WaveyDave posted earlier, there's supposed to be "8 hours for work, 8 hours for leisure, and 8 hours for sleeping." That's sort of a dream scenario, especially if you have kids and a commute, but surely a working man can find a half-hour a day to play a ukulele? He'd be so much cheeerier then.

ksiegel
01-08-2013, 08:39 AM
http://youtu.be/7hdZ63LOd9g

One of my favorite John Hartford songs. The vocal quality of your video works so well with the tenor of the lyrics. Great job.

-Kurt

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 08:48 AM
My first entry. I'm working on another that is almost too close for comfort, and plan to record it if I can finally make it all the way through the song.

-Kurt

I'm glad you haven't been a miner, Kurt. That line about "dangers are double and pleasures are few" doesn't speak well of it. And pit mining is still done in large swaths of Pennsylvania West Virginia. (In fact, on I-77 through WV, there's a tourist stop to see what was once a working coal mine. I've never felt the wish to stop.)

I liked your playing on that Vita-shaped uke. We don't see that one much.

PS: The film "October Sky" is about Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son who was interested in rockets in the 1950s. He was able to get away from the mines to work at NASA. Adults to elementary kids like it.

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 08:50 AM
NOTE:

In posts from now forward, let's tell what our occupations are, if you're inclined to do so.
I'm a writer (magazine articles are my favorite) and a manuscript editor.

And to you guests I see lurking, I'm holding the door open for you to join us. It's fun. :p

xommen
01-08-2013, 09:14 AM
You're a rocker at heart, Wim. Did you play in a band? Nice strum on that.
This "working man" concept—in this Rush song and in others—lays out a bleak life, but in the union song WaveyDave posted earlier, there's supposed to be "8 hours for work, 8 hours for leisure, and 8 hours for sleeping." That's sort of a dream scenario, especially if you have kids and a commute, but surely a working man can find a half-hour a day to play a ukulele? He'd be so much cheeerier then.
I have tried playing bass in a band, but that did not last long. It seems to be hard to find people that want to make the same kind of music. I'm not one of those workingman types Rush is talking about, I do have lots of time left for other things like playing ukulele and the family. I work in IT by the way, my official job title is product specialist, which is a little vague I guess. I mostly means I know everything on the technical side of the IT products we import en resell in the Netherlands.

Barbablanca
01-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Kurt - nice one. My Dad loved Johnny Cash's version of that one. I really liked the sound of your Uke on that too. It almost had a medieval sound. Which Uke is that?

Wim, another great rocker from you! I missed out on Rush - they were around at one of my "output" times - when I was to busy DOING things to absorb much of what was around.

Strumsilly - That song struck me as a kind of "working" answer to "Little Boxes" - when was it written, do you know?

PS My profession? Freelance Translator and Part Time Lecturer in Translation (Catalan to English)

The Ukelites
01-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Our professions? I’m a teacher for history, philosophy and German literature and really love my job (most of the time). Steffen is a graphic designer for CD or DVD covers for the music industry, often for very crappy “musicians”/ bands. Well, there’s some nice work too, but only if you can get it.
So just try it (again) this year! The best of luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_vsjfUZUuM

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Our professions? I’m a teacher for history, philosophy and German literature and really love my job (most of the time). Steffen is a graphic designer for CD or DVD covers for the music industry, often for very crappy “musicians”/ bands. Well, there’s some nice work too, but only if you can get it. So just try it (again) this year! The best of luck!

Let me shoot off this little set of sparklers for another super Ukelites song styling! I loved Steffen's sliding chords, and Miriam's voice may be our best recent import from Germany.
I adore Gershwin tunes and I appreciate you doing this. Really beautiful.

The Ukelites
01-08-2013, 10:20 AM
Let me shoot off this little set of sparklers for another super Ukelites song styling! I loved Steffen's sliding chords, and Miriam's voice may be our best recent import from Germany.
I adore Gershwin tunes and I appreciate you doing this. Really beautiful.

Thanks a lot Ginny!:)

pabrizzer
01-08-2013, 10:22 AM

Gee I liked this stumsilly. It suited your voice so well. The low G string made that 'bass' run really good.
Real good job on this one! And such a good song choice.

Edited to add -
Was working my way through new stuff and almost made a comment about "Little Boxes" on your song strumsilly - then kept reading through new posts to discover that barbablanca had been thinking the same. Now that's scary!:)

Ukelites - your songs are always of such a high standard! I had decided that you guys were musos. I wonder how many educators there are here on the forum. Good 'work' as always.

wallyboy
01-08-2013, 10:54 AM
heres my first go at seasons, being new to uke and singing its not pretty, but for fun factor i enjoy playing(trying) and singing(trying),
printer not working so wrote this out on paper, did two runs then one go with camera, i left out the two F WORDS, well here go's i'll duck now, this song is one of my fav lennon songs,
working class hero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwnw3AHUqjM

we tigers
01-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I wonder how many educators there are here on the forum. Good 'work' as always.
Quite a few I think! Here as well: Michael: teacher (Art and Industrial Design) Saskia: school librarian. We work at different schools though.

Barbablanca
01-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Wally - Welcome to the seasons. Your laid back delivery of that song really brings out the dirge-like quality of the lyrics. I also like your change of lyric at one point. "When they've tortured and scarred you for 20 odd years!" The original has "scared" (frightened) but your version stresses just how deep those scars can go. :cool:

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 11:45 AM
heres my first go at seasons, being new to uke and singing its not pretty, but for fun factor i enjoy playing(trying) and singing(trying), printer not working so wrote this out on paper, did two runs then one go with camera, i left out the two F WORDS, well here go's i'll duck now, this song is one of my fav lennon songs, working class hero http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwnw3AHUqjM

WELCOME, Wally! Congratulations on posting your first Seasons video. You got right into the spirit by choosing a song with meaning for you.
There's room for everyone here in the Seasons pavilion, and we're really glad you made that first step!

drbekken
01-08-2013, 11:48 AM
This is a great swinging tune about a dismal working situation. You have a very distinctive style in all your videos, which I admire greatly. I like the scatting and your easy travels up and down that baritone fretboard. Terrific, Tor.
How old is the narrator of the song if he's talking about younger siblings? In your mind, did that guy work for The Man, and where is he working now?
Thank you for the nice comment! I thought about a boy of about eleven or so. I always enjoy the contrast between a 'happy' tune and unpleasant lyrics. The song may not be a masterpiece, but it's not totally horrible either...
By the way; I am a musician (mostly piano), and I am employed part time by the Trondheim School of Arts and Culture, teaching piano to kids. At present, I am on leave, working as an English teacher in Senior High School. I am so educated it's hard to believe...I have two Master's degrees; one in Music and one in English. I may get another job soon, but I won't say anything about it until I know for sure.

wallyboy
01-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Wally - Welcome to the seasons. Your laid back delivery of that song really brings out the dirge-like quality of the lyrics. I also like your change of lyric at one point. "When they've tortured and scarred you for 20 odd years!" The original has "scared" (frightened) but your version stresses just how deep those scars can go. :cool:

thanks berni, nearly didn't post it, the quality of some of the stuff here is really good, i am hoping to use my early vids as before and after..LOL before he was no good then after he was no good :D

wallyboy
01-08-2013, 12:06 PM
WELCOME, Wally! Congratulations on posting your first Seasons video. You got right into the spirit by choosing a song with meaning for you.
There's room for everyone here in the Seasons pavilion, and we're really glad you made that first step!

thanks GT, hope to get better, thing is i really enjoy trying to sing and play :)

Tootler
01-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Here is my entry for this season. It's a song by Tom Paxton written in 1964 and deals with unemployment. I've been lucky and managed to avoid being unemployed during my working life, though it came a bit close when I changed jobs once a few months before most of my colleagues were made redundant when the company ran into financial difficulties.

I actually spent most of my working life as an academic (another one!). My subject was Chemical Engineering but I did a masters degree in Food Science in the mid 90s and taught food technology for the last few years before I retired.

I'm now on a pension (Ill deserved according to one of our tabloid newspapers which subscribes to the views Wally described in his song) and enjoying music making. I belong to a folk band and I run a ukulele group among other things.

http://youtu.be/VA8D2JIatlw

I've not really got round to listening to many of the entries yet. I'm still recovering from a chesty cough but I'm hoping to catch up in the next few days and also I have a possible bonus lined up.

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Here is my entry for this season. It's a song by Tom Paxton written in 1964 and deals with unemployment. I've been lucky and managed to avoid being unemployed during my working life, though it came a bit close when I changed jobs once a few months before most of my colleagues were made redundant when the company ran into financial difficulties.
I actually spent most of my working life as an academic (another one!). My subject was Chemical Engineering but I did a masters degree in Food Science in the mid 90s and taught food technology for the last few years before I retired.
I'm now on a pension (Ill deserved according to one of our tabloid newspapers which subscribes to the views Wally described in his song) and enjoying music making. I belong to a folk band and I run a ukulele group among other things.

Geoff, you got some recording toys for Christmas! You have a new sound now in your "studio."
I liked this song, with its yearning for the associations and pride that work can give you. Nice strumming. Yes, do post some bonuses.

Hope you feel better soon. You did a nice job hosting Christmas week, dashing in and out when your family was otherwise occupied.

One question about chemical engineering and food science: Do you know what's in a Hostess Twinkie?

Barbablanca
01-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Great improvement in sound Geoff I agree with GT. Plus I think that's one of your most confident vocals in a long time, Great job!
Isn't it incredible how relevant all of those old dust bowl songs are starting to sound again :(

decaturcomp
01-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I'm so ashamed. This isn't even good at all. I tried to do what Ginny asked...really!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wI6RBEAhBY

GinnyT11
01-08-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm so ashamed. This isn't even good at all. I tried to do what Ginny asked...really!

I'm ashamed to be laughing at that, Alan, because it's true for some people. But you wrote some good lines there...I especially liked "I've seen tattoos I shouldn't see."

Thank you for taking on this challenge! You have acquitted yourself satisfactorily and you may now return to playing actual songs.

ksiegel
01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
I liked your playing on that Vita-shaped uke. We don't see that one much.

Actually, Ginny, that's my Waverly Street #38 Low-G Soprano, that he calls "Pear-shaped". http://www.wsukes.com/38/u38.html .

I bought it at an insanely low price from another UU member last year, and it is so tiny and delicate I don't take it out too often. It has a crack along the grain in the top that completely disappears when I have it humidified enough, so I wasn't sure that I wanted to even open the case today - humidity in my room is about 22%, according to the hygrometer - but today was the day to refill the Dampit anyway, so I decided to go with it. Sometimes Low-G is the right sound.

PS: The film "October Sky" is about Homer Hickam, a coal miner's son who was interested in rockets in the 1950s. He was able to get away from the mines to work at NASA. Adults to elementary kids like it.

I remember that film. Laura Dern, Jake Gyenhall- whatever his name is - Maggie's brother. It was a great film.

-Kurt

OldePhart
01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
At one time I was keen on songs from the great depression, and I put together
a small series using photos from Flickr that belonged to "The Commons" (http://www.flickr.com/commons)
I first heard Ry Cooder sing this song, and it seems that the themes of rising prices,
joblessness, and exorbitant health care bills, runs through history from that day to this.
When times get hard the only thing to do is to play music and dance... it's free... at least
for the moment.
Everything changes but everything remains the same.

Loved this. This song is in my uke songbook though I haven't played it in a while. I have a note there that it was written by and recorded in 1929 by Blind Alfred Reed - a black violinest who was born blind and acquired his first violin as a very young child. He was born in the last quarter of the 19th century and played fairs and whatnot with his brother for many years before his first recording about 1927. He retired, at least from recording, about a year or so after the 1929 recording of this song.

John

myrnaukelele
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Quite a few I think! Here as well: Michael: teacher (Art and Industrial Design) Saskia: school librarian. We work at different schools though.
Same for me - another school librarian here:o
Saskia - you may enjoy some of the librarian vids I found the other night- just Google "songs about librarians". Someone has posted an entire pinterest board with some great librarian songs that have been posted on YouTube. There are some really funny ones.

OldePhart
01-08-2013, 04:02 PM
I wonder how many educators there are here on the forum.
I've been a software engineer for a couple of decades, and an electronics technician before that...but, for the last fifteen years I've worked for a company that teaches pilots that the only part of their aircraft that should touch the ground are the little black round things that stick out of the bottom...does that count? LOL

John

Joko
01-08-2013, 05:28 PM
A song about how my business ruined another business that I wish were my business.
However...I wish even more that the excellent folks in the ruined business could spend more time working and less time looking for work or trying to make ends meet...

Hope you don't mind, I uploaded your song to Limewire.

Dougf
01-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Stormy Monday, the quintessential song about the work week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCbZkAEzO8o

TCK
01-08-2013, 07:12 PM
New post- time for some bonus tracks.
This might seem for some a bad fit for my career...
I am a teacher, and teacher songs are almost always stupid.
We know we are hot, thank you Van Halen.
In any event- teaching is this weird world. I have worked often with wonderful, talented and dedicated people who often get so invested in what they are doing they have a hard time stepping back and seeing what is really happening.
My head tells me "Yeah-Johnnie did not write that in cursive, but look what he wrote!"
In any event- I think this song is playful more than anything.
Me and Julio broke a silly rule as kids...call in the National Gaurd :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5NKzwu2UMY&feature=youtu.be

thesillydave
01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
find them some work...if you can. if nothing else, thank them.

http://youtu.be/W8E8ob70kMw

thanks, dave

pabrizzer
01-08-2013, 09:34 PM

You made me laugh!
"I need to pee .....But there's no break for me."
Funny stuff.

No Walmart in Australia though.....yet.....

Tootler
01-09-2013, 12:40 AM
Geoff, you got some recording toys for Christmas! You have a new sound now in your "studio."
I liked this song, with its yearning for the associations and pride that work can give you. Nice strumming. Yes, do post some bonuses.

Hope you feel better soon. You did a nice job hosting Christmas week, dashing in and out when your family was otherwise occupied.

One question about chemical engineering and food science: Do you know what's in a Hostess Twinkie?

Great improvement in sound Geoff I agree with GT. Plus I think that's one of your most confident vocals in a long time, Great job!
Isn't it incredible how relevant all of those old dust bowl songs are starting to sound again :(

Thanks to both of you.

I treated myself to a little mixer which lets me input the voice and uke separately and I can adjust the EQ independantly for both. This lets me balance the sound more effectively. I then recorded directly into an Edirol R09 recorder. I did have to remove some pops and I added a touch of reverb to give the sound more presence. Audacity is my friend :music:

The vocal mic is a cheap dynamic mic which I got from Lidl the same time as I bought the Lidl uke just before Christmas. For £14.99 I got a mic, a boom stand and a XLR lead. Pretty good value though the mic is no SM58, obviously.

Strictly, the dust bowl songs belong to the 1930s and Tom Paxton is about 10 years older than me so really belongs to the post war generation. Interestingly, he grew up in Bristow, Oklahoma, not far from Okemah where Woody Guthrie came from. Tom Paxton is still touring and in good voice. He comes to the UK regularly and was over here just over a year ago. We went to see him at the Sage in Gateshead.

wee_ginga_yin
01-09-2013, 12:58 AM
Don't know if I will have time to do a track for this week but having seen Dave's
"brother can you spare a dime", I offer as a bonus my own frenetic version I did
some time ago. It is strange that the performance you give when there is not
a camera on you can be so different and cathartic.

In psychology there is the idea of the "observer effect". If an event or a performance is being
observed then it will change the event in some way... I think it may also apply if you
are being observed by a camera. Performances are different when they are unobserved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrhOgalGbF8

mikef
01-09-2013, 03:40 AM
Happy New Year Seasonists! My apologies for being quiet in December, I was lucky enough to have a whole month off to leave dark and rainy Wales behind me in favour of a summer tour around New Zealand, which was of course amazing. So it's rather apt the first season I'm back for is "back to work" ;)

Here's my wee official entry, "Me & The Farmer" by The Housemartins...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9RLTXxIB6s

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 04:48 AM
Stormy Monday, the quintessential song about the work week.

Well, working would be a sad thing if you're waiting for your baby to come home. Lovely hammer-ons and sliding chords in this, Doug; a couple plucks that ring out too. A very nice song for this week, and a worthy addition to the dougf canon!

My dad used to say "The eagle flies today" when he gave us our allowance.

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 04:56 AM
New post- time for some bonus tracks.
This might seem for some a bad fit for my career...I am a teacher, and teacher songs are almost always stupid. We know we are hot, thank you Van Halen. In any event- teaching is this weird world. I have worked often with wonderful, talented and dedicated people who often get so invested in what they are doing they have a hard time stepping back and seeing what is really happening. My head tells me "Yeah-Johnnie did not write that in cursive, but look what he wrote!"
In any event- I think this song is playful more than anything. Me and Julio broke a silly rule as kids...call in the National Gaurd :)

Great playing, Dave! I love the rhythm of this song and you added your own verve to it. You're really happy and it radiates to all of us. (It doesn't hurt that you're in love with that new Owl uke!)

I'm glad you get enough excellent moments in your teaching days to balance the hours that are less than excellent. I admire teachers (and nurses) enormously and wish they weren't so burdened with reports and rules.

I look forward to your entry this week.

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 05:03 AM
find them some work...if you can. if nothing else, thank them.
thanks, dave

That made me sad, Dave—your performance was very effective. The lyrics is show all the disappointment of being unemployed, and the timbre of your voice made it a good choice. Excellent change in dynamic to heighten the emotion. Also noted your production designer chose to drop out the background, which helped too.

I hope the other Dave, thesillydave, will post some bonuses.

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 05:14 AM
Don't know if I will have time to do a track for this week but having seen Dave's "brother can you spare a dime", I offer as a bonus my own frenetic version I did some time ago. It is strange that the performance you give when there is not a camera on you can be so different and cathartic.

In psychology there is the idea of the "observer effect". If an event or a performance is being observed then it will change the event in some way... I think it may also apply if you are being observed by a camera. Performances are different when they are unobserved.

Wow, your version is so different from thesillydave's, and it's quite moving as well. Partly that's because your photos are playing on our emotions too. Faster strum, slight variations in phrasing, different dynamic. Very cool. Please try to make time to do an original post for this week.

As to your comment that performances are different when they are unobserved, I think anyone who sings in the shower would agree with you .

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Happy New Year Seasonists! My apologies for being quiet in December, I was lucky enough to have a whole month off to leave dark and rainy Wales behind me in favour of a summer tour around New Zealand, which was of course amazing. So it's rather apt the first season I'm back for is "back to work" ;)

Never a need to apologize for traveling to interesting places, but we're glad to have you back, Mike. You post fine performances, and this song is no exception. I'm glad there was a song about what a farmer's dominion really is.

Post some bonuses for us, and be sure to come back every week!

decaturcomp
01-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Hah! Gillian's gonna kill me!

Hope you don't mind, I uploaded your song to Limewire.

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 05:32 AM
Pardon the interruption (a host's prerogative), but I wish to tell a little story that was prompted by mikef's song about the farmer's work.

------
The North Dakota Department of Labor claimed a small Bismarck farmer was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an agent out to investigate him.

Dept. of Labor employee: "I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them."

Farmer: "Well, there’s my farm hand who’s been with me for 3 years. I pay him $200 a week plus free room and board. Then there’s the mentally challenged worker. He works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board, and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night so he can cope with life. He also sleeps with my wife occasionally."

Dept. of Labor employee: "That’s the guy I want to talk to…the mentally challenged one."

Farmer: "That would be me."
-------

Sorry for the inconvenience. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

wee_ginga_yin
01-09-2013, 07:03 AM
Pardon the interruption, but I wish to tell a little story that was prompted by mikef's song about the farmer.

As another digression here are a couple of videos that explain something about my profession
before I retired. The first one tries to make a tenuous link between protein sequences and music
It is called ADH blues with an ice cream head ache (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XECy8Hf3kak) where high science is reduced to crayons
and lollipop sticks and bits of squiggly wire.

I had to delete the text which accompanied the video since some people found the thoughts distressing
since it dealt with DNA fingerprinting and the possible mis-uses of that technology. I had intended it to be
humorous and I thought it might be less threatening if the lines were spoken by a couple comic robots.
DNA blues in deep space (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOdnOZmjBpE)

and for utter foolishness Robots debate Ukulele vs Stylophone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOl2Pg1NETM)

I have too much time on my hands since I retired :-)

CountryMouse
01-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Here's someone who does not want to move into the Industrial Age. Warning: long introductory explanation!

http://youtu.be/vkcxBVFes_E

CountryMouse

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Here's someone who does not want to move into the Industrial Age. Warning: long introductory explanation!
CountryMouse

A stylish version of this old favorite, CountryMouse! The choruses had slightly different melody than I sang around Girl Scout campfires, and yours are much nicer. You had a slightly different strum there, too, plus a flourish at the end. A very good song for the week, with nice playing and singing.

PS--On some segment of Erie Canal in NY you can ride a mule-drawn barge as a tourist. I imagine they have lumber, coal and hay on board, and I bet you sing this song at least once.

Hiddencross
01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Well, hi everybody. Here is my first Seasons entry. I'll take my invisibility cloak in a large.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs7QjvRm67I
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Fs7QjvRm67I&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DFs7QjvRm67I

I got an iPod touch for Christmas and used it to record, edit and upload my video. Unfortunately, I did not frame the video very well (my uke seems to be wearing the invisibility cloak). Also, the recording levels were a bit too high, I sang a couple of lyrics incorrectly, and the exposure and focus shift to the outside a couple of times, but if I waited for perfection, I'd never post anything.

ukuleledaveey
01-09-2013, 12:53 PM
hi everyone here is my official entry, this song was requested by our glorious host some time ago and at long last Ginny i have finally come up with the goods,well sort of lol, many thanks for hosting.

http://youtu.be/XHku1DzlNcw

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
hi everyone here is my official entry, this song was requested by our glorious host some time ago and at long last Ginny i have finally come up with the goods,well sort of lol, many thanks for hosting.

I suggested that last fall, when you'd done a Johnny Cash song, and I was right that this is good for your voice. It needs a low voice to convey the bleakness of owing the company store more than you earn, and yours is just right. You played it well too, with a blend of gloom and frustration. Please post a bonus too.

The Seasons wouldn't be the same without your contributions, Daveey, and I love how you encourage others, so I hope we'll see you all through 2013. And do some more songwriting, like the song you wrote for garden week.

TCK
01-09-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks Ginny! Yeah I love it, and the job which is often silly...
Guess I did not say my first video was my entry? No need to wait any longer, you have it ;)

Great playing, Dave! I love the rhythm of this song and you added your own verve to it. You're really happy and it radiates to all of us. (It doesn't hurt that you're in love with that new Owl uke!)

I'm glad you get enough excellent moments in your teaching days to balance the hours that are less than excellent. I admire teachers (and nurses) enormously and wish they weren't so burdened with reports and rules.

I look forward to your entry this week.

TCK
01-09-2013, 02:52 PM
I have this kind of closet love affair with Paul Heaton's voice that has lingered since the eighties. My friends at the time never would have understood it...I play this song over and over alone (My wife does not even get to hear it) because I can't do the vocal inflection that needs to be there. You absolutely and completely nailed it. Without a doubt.What an incredible cover mate- take your bow, and if the spirit strikes you...how's about old red eyes is back from the Beautiful South?
Still shaking my head at how awesome this cover is. Thanks for posting it.

Hiddencross
01-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Enjoy!
Luis

Awesome! As a community college professor, I can relate.

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Well, hi everybody. Here is my first Seasons entry. I'll take my invisibility cloak in a large.
I got an iPod touch for Christmas and used it to record, edit and upload my video. Unfortunately, I did not frame the video very well (my uke seems to be wearing the invisibility cloak). Also, the recording levels were a bit too high, I sang a couple of lyrics incorrectly, and the exposure and focus shift to the outside a couple of times, but if I waited for perfection, I'd never post anything.

Where have you been, Hiddencross? This was a wonderful first video post!
I agree that you shouldn't wait for perfection, because it doesn't exist. Your voice was quite a good match for this song, and your strum pattern was smooth and it didn't overwhelm the song. Very well played, sir. I won't send that invisibility cloak now because you might...you might win another prize too! Great that you joined us!

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Guess I did not say my first video was my entry? No need to wait any longer, you have it ;)

I misunderstood, but have moved your song to the entries list. Now, please post some bonuses.

Jazzbanjorex
01-09-2013, 03:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEjTwCWZhZs&feature=youtu.be
1968, Glen Campbell.

Hiddencross
01-09-2013, 04:14 PM

Nice one, Eugene.

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 04:17 PM
1968, Glen Campbell.

Oh, I was so hoping to hear this song this week! You're not too far from Wichita, either.
This poor guy must be so sunburned and tired, because his days off depend on the weather, and he doesn't know where he'll be working each day. Tough life, but he burns with an everlasting love, so it's a song women would like. You leaned on your singing for this one, Rex, and you did just fine, particularly in that hard part at the end.

ksiegel
01-09-2013, 04:21 PM

Thanks, Davey - Now I don't have to do this one! (it was next on my list)

Now, I can concentrate on the one that I'm having issues with - one of those "too close to home" songs.

-Kurt

ksiegel
01-09-2013, 04:27 PM

CountryMouse

I think I've mentioned before, the Erie Canal used to run through Schenectady. They filled it in, and paved it over, and it is now called "Erie Boulevard".

There are many of the old bridges and locks from the Old canal days still around, though. Just a little of the beaten path, for the most part, while others actually ARE the beaten Path,

I have to agree with Ginny - the chorus has a different melody than i've ever heard, but overall, just another Wonderful High-Quality video from the CountryMouse!

-Kurt

Hiddencross
01-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Where have you been, Hiddencross? This was a wonderful first video post!
I agree that you shouldn't wait for perfection, because it doesn't exist. Your voice was quite a good match for this song, and your strum pattern was smooth and it didn't overwhelm the song. Very well played, sir. I won't send that invisibility cloak now because you might...you might win another prize too! Great that you joined us!

Thanks for the kind words. I decided, as a New Years resolution to participate. I'm glad I did. I am also glad that I read the description when first announced, found my song, transposed, practiced and learned it and didn't keep up on the thread.

I just finished reading through the thread with the intention of commenting on the best videos. However, there were too many 'best' videos. So I just want to say I am awed, and slightly intimidated, by the talent, enthusiasm, songwriting, and musicianship of the people posting in this thread.

alemarco
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Great job, CountryMouse!

This song is special for me since I grew up on the Erie Canal. I learned to ride my bike on the mule towpath.

The canal was rerouted in the 20th century, mainly to avoid going straight through the downtown of every major city in upstate NY. However, it still goes the entire way from Albany to Buffalo. A life goal of mine is to do a cycling trip along the whole thing.

GinnyT11
01-09-2013, 05:34 PM
I just finished reading through the thread with the intention of commenting on the best videos. However, there were too many 'best' videos. So I just want to say I am awed, and slightly intimidated, by the talent, enthusiasm, songwriting, and musicianship of the people posting in this thread.

It's hard to keep up sometimes, and it's hard to find time to listen and comment on all entries. Still, everyone loves to get comments, so we try our best.

Some people gang up their comments and post many at one time.

Many people (including me, when I'm not hosting) make comments on the YouTube itself. Instead of watching the embedded video, click on the bottom of it where it says "watch on Youtube" and you can leave a comment there after watching. The poster gets an email when you do and can reply to you.

pabrizzer
01-09-2013, 05:42 PM
1968, Glen Campbell.
Great cover of this song Rex.
Really enjoyed it!

Sung first by Glen Campbell and then many others. REM did a version I enjoyed too.
But written by Jimmy Webb.

Sorry to correct this but when someone writes a great song I like them to get the credit.

~dave~~wave~
01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Bonus instrumental ~ Work Song, written by Nat Adderley, Cannonball Adderley's brother.

From the transcendent album East / West by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band released in 1966.

U-bass with Pyramid wound strings, Lehua tenor low G with Worth CH heavies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRvNhN75flc

pabrizzer
01-09-2013, 10:35 PM
Bonus instrumental ~ Work Song, written by Nat Adderley, Cannonball Adderley's brother.

From the transcendent album East / West by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band released in 1966.

You the man Dave!
I loved this one!

mikef
01-09-2013, 10:48 PM
I have this kind of closet love affair with Paul Heaton's voice that has lingered since the eighties. My friends at the time never would have understood it...I play this song over and over alone (My wife does not even get to hear it) because I can't do the vocal inflection that needs to be there. You absolutely and completely nailed it. Without a doubt.What an incredible cover mate- take your bow, and if the spirit strikes you...how's about old red eyes is back from the Beautiful South?
Still shaking my head at how awesome this cover is. Thanks for posting it.

Aww that's very kind of you... I dare say I will dip into his back Paul Heaton's back catalogue again at some point as I share your love of Paul Heaton's voice... and I also know people who hate it ;)
One of his later solo albums, "The Cross Eyed Rambler" is one of my favorite albums of the last few years.

"They could never be blue... they could never be blu-hu-hu-hu-hu"

FiL
01-10-2013, 03:53 AM
1968, Glen Campbell.

Aww, crap. I've been workin' on this one all week. Nice job with it!

- FiL

GinnyT11
01-10-2013, 04:40 AM

Ooooooh, more of this, please! That was awesome and a real treat, Dave.
Great fretwork on both those ukes. An inspired choice for the challenge, but I hope you're working like that more and more.

GinnyT11
01-10-2013, 04:42 AM
- FiL

FiL, don't let that stop you from posting it. Your rendition will be different. Plus, his is a bonus, and yours will be an entry.

GinnyT11
01-10-2013, 06:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-blotROyKY

Here's my entry for Get to Work week, which of course will not be considered for judging.

Yesterday we were choosing a uke that wouldn't overwhelm my voice, and we ended up with this one with a sock in it to dampen the volume. Shakespeare wrote, "Her voice was ever gentle, soft and low, an excellent thing in a woman," but he was not talking about recording with a digicam.

Here are the Vogues singing this on Hullabaloo in 1965 or '66. I love how they advocate for women in the workplace. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSIGwAY2JBs

decaturcomp
01-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Can't tell you how much I love this one! Again, your best yet. I'd nearly forgotten about this song and as soon as you started I smiled a little. You brought back pleasant memories. I do love the sound match of your new axe and your voice, too. The sock trick (usually with a different material, but still) is used by banjo players quite a bit I seem to recall. Just a great video, thanks.

Here's my entry for Get to Work week, which of course will not be considered for judging.

Yesterday we were choosing a uke that wouldn't overwhelm my voice, and we ended up with this one with a sock in it to dampen the volume. Shakespeare wrote, "Her voice was ever gentle, soft and low, an excellent thing in a woman," but he was not talking about recording with a digicam.

Here are the Vogues singing this on Hullabaloo in 1965 or '66. I love how they advocate for women in the workplace. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSIGwAY2JBs

decaturcomp
01-10-2013, 07:15 AM
I enjoyed this so much. Another great memory song. I didn't recognize the name, then started about Butterfield and still couldn't place it. When you started playing the lightbulb went on. Great performance. I liked your choice of the bottom right for the bass, too. Gave us a good shot of that nice duet.

Jazzbanjorex
01-10-2013, 07:28 AM

- FiL

Sorry 'bout that. But please, go ahead and do it! Mine's in the bonus section. I'd love to hear you rendition.
Rex

Jazzbanjorex
01-10-2013, 07:36 AM
FiL, don't let that stop you from posting it. Your rendition will be different. Plus, his is a bonus, and yours will be an entry.

YEAH! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! Plus, I took (weird) liberties with the turn arounds and the ending (I ended on D and it was in the key of F, how bazaar is that?).

ksiegel
01-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Very nice.. But y'know, it sounds a lot like Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath.

Since Nat Adderley (one of my favorite cornet players) recorded "Work Song" in 1960, and Jethro Tull did "Locomotive Breath" in 1971, I wonder if Ian Anderson consciously, or unconsciously "borrowed" the tune..?

-Kurt

wee_ginga_yin
01-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Bad working conditions means somebody is going to get hurt tonight.
official entry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JyZKO0Z7jY

barefootgypsy
01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
I've been absent from the Seasons for a while - just so busy. But here I am with the window cleaning song ... I mean, how can a woman sing this
http://youtu.be/kb40qD7rSTM!!!! Oh well.... when we did it for a party, my husband sang and I played - much easier.

decaturcomp
01-10-2013, 11:00 AM
I wonder this about a lot of songs. The Grateful Dead's epic "Terrapin Station" has a passage that reminds me of a section of Tull's "A Passion Play", and the opening of "Hotel California" sounds so much like the opening of the Stones' "Angie" that I'm not always sure what I'm going to hear after the instrumental part stops.

Very nice.. But y'know, it sounds a lot like Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath.

Since Nat Adderley (one of my favorite cornet players) recorded "Work Song" in 1960, and Jethro Tull did "Locomotive Breath" in 1971, I wonder if Ian Anderson consciously, or unconsciously "borrowed" the tune..?

-Kurt

pabrizzer
01-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Bad working conditions means somebody is going to get hurt tonight.
official entry.

Dire song done well.
Some irony in that that little plastic uke popped out of a mold in a factory just like some shown in the background.
I can see it has (rightly) become a favourite.
Enjoyed this a lot!

Hippie Dribble
01-10-2013, 12:16 PM
WORKERS UNITE!!!! Here's a bonus tune, "Union Maid", the Woody Guthrie classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=407_6efW_H8

we tigers
01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
We recorded a song by the Flaming Lips that celebrates the work of the people that try so hard to find cures for the people we love. It is in memory of Saskia's father, who passed away 10 years ago this month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eQXmIZUoEw

ksiegel
01-10-2013, 12:24 PM
This is my last one for this season, and is a bonus, therefore not eligible for judging.

Not my best work, but very, very hard to do. I've referred to it as "a little too close to home", and you'll see why.

As part of this season, Ginny asked that we try to do songs that have to do with our professions. And to explain what we do.

While I currently am employed as a barista, I am a retired Firefighter. In the course of my duties, I was also a member of the Upstate New York Urban/Technical Search and Rescue Team. I even designed the Team Logo!

The folks who trained us were members of the New York City FEMA team - truly the Elite. They worked with us as we learned the tools, the terminology, the basics. We got more proficient as the training went on, and had a response before we were technically ready to go, when a tornado rolled through the area. It was a sobering experience.

At one point during the training, one of the FDNY members made an off-hand remark that we thought was funny. "We'll be here any time you need us," he said. "But we're never going to have to call you guys. Unless, you know, the World Trade Centers collapse."

The Upstate NY team did respond to New York City on September 11, 2011. I was the EMS coordinator for my Fire Department, and was required to remain, making sure that we were covered in the event anything happened. After all, there were a number of High Priority sites right here: General Electric, two Nuclear Power Labs, and the State Capital less than 15 miles away.

My Chief released me on September 13, and I responded with the second group. We still didn't really know what we were walking into by then.

Tom Paxton wrote the song "The Bravest" on September 24, 2001. It had taken that long for many people, not just Tom, to be able to say, sing, or write what was slamming around inside of them. I first heard this song when Garrison Keillor sang it on "A Prairie Home Companion".

I cried.

As you'll see in the video, the song still makes me cry.

I did this as a one-take. I wouldn't be able to get through it again.

At the end of the video are some photographs. The first I got as part of a training class I was in some time after December 2001. The others are photos I took while I was on the site. There is no audio. Please don't watch all the way through if this might disturb you.

The final photo is a t-shirt back, with the names of our UTSAR instructors who we lost that day.

Thanks for putting up with me on this one.

-Kurt

http://youtu.be/HHLjy2Ms0QY

pabrizzer
01-10-2013, 12:26 PM
WORKERS UNITE!!!! Here's a bonus tune, "Union Maid", the Woody Guthrie classic.

Love this! Fantastic playing.
Wow! Love that uke!!!

WETIGERS -

Fantastic as always guys. What sort of a host would deprive the seasonistas from hearing you performing together?

uke4ia
01-10-2013, 12:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQlHNo9Sc6c

This is a punky little song I wrote in 1986, when I was working for the U.S. Geological Survey. The idea came to me while driving a car with U.S. Govt. plates, and passing a car with Massachusetts State Govt. plates on Rte. 3 south of Boston, while listening to Romeo Void. In my head, I always imagined it sounding like the bass lines Graham Maby played on Joe Jackson's first record. It wasn't until 2009 that it occurred to me that it might be possible to play this on uke.

barefootgypsy
01-10-2013, 12:45 PM
This is my last one for this season, and is a bonus, therefore not eligible for judging.

Not my best work, but very, very hard to do. I've referred to it as "a little too close to home", and you'll see why.

As part of this season, Ginny asked that we try to do songs that have to do with our professions. And to explain what we do.

While I currently am employed as a barista, I am a retired Firefighter. In the course of my duties, I was also a member of the Upstate New York Urban/Technical Search and Rescue Team. I even designed the Team Logo!

The folks who trained us were members of the New York City FEMA team - truly the Elite. They worked with us as we learned the tools, the terminology, the basics. We got more proficient as the training went on, and had a response before we were technically ready to go, when a tornado rolled through the area. It was a sobering experience.

At one point during the training, one of the FDNY members made an off-hand remark that we thought was funny. "We'll be here any time you need us," he said. "But we're never going to have to call you guys. Unless, you know, the World Trade Centers collapse."

The Upstate NY team did respond to New York City on September 11, 2011. I was the EMS coordinator for my Fire Department, and was required to remain, making sure that we were covered in the event anything happened. After all, there were a number of High Priority sites right here: General Electric, two Nuclear Power Labs, and the State Capital less than 15 miles away.

My Chief released me on September 13, and I responded with the second group. We still didn't really know what we were walking into by then.

Tom Paxton wrote the song "The Bravest" on September 24, 2001. It had taken that long for many people, not just Tom, to be able to say, sing, or write what was slamming around inside of them. I first heard this song when Garrison Keillor sang it on "A Prairie Home Companion".

I cried.

At the end of the video are some photographs. The first I got as part of a training class I was in some time after December 2001. The others are photos I took while I was on the site. There is no audio. Please don't watch all the way through if this might disturb you.

The final photo is a t-shirt back, with the names of our UTSAR instructors who we lost that day.

-Kurt

Kurt that was so brave of you, in so many ways - what a wonderful tribute to your colleagues, so very moving.... thank you so much for posting that song. I can understand that were driven to do it for your friends but it was clearly so, so hard to do. My brother was a firefighter. Retired many years now. He once went into a burning building with no BA to rescue someone..... my heart goes out to you.

wee_ginga_yin
01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Dire song done well.
Some irony in that that little plastic uke popped out of a mold in a factory just like some shown in the background.
I can see it has (rightly) become a favourite.
Enjoyed this a lot!

At one time it was the monstrous monotony of repetitive jobs that sucked the life out of workers
I suppose the mass market demands conveyer belts, and production lines, to meet consumer demand.
Pop another rivet.

My guess is that craftsmanship and quality of a tone wood ukulele makes it of more
value than a plastic Sponge Bob uke produced for the mass market. Yet if you keep your Sponge Bob Uke
in its original package then who knows 20 years down the line it may be worth a fortune on eBay.

Perhaps we fall in love with the objects that have emotional and sentimental value regardless
of whether they are held in high esteem by others.

Freud said that the ability to work is a measure of our mental health, but I wonder how much
our mental health is affected by working in jobs that are soul destroying.

pabrizzer
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Kurt Seigel, The Bravest
SIMPLY STUNNING.
A HUGE HUG FROM PABRIZZER

GinnyT11
01-10-2013, 01:09 PM
A lot of songs at one time, so I'll gang the comments:

wee_ginga_yin - Factory - Oh, so sad! The factory took his hearing, then his life. And he had no other options...we don't realize how lucky we are to have options. Rob, you did elegant work on this, though the sound dropped out for me at the end. With the production line behind you, and you playing in a wool coat and hat, this song comes off as an icy frame for an untenable situation.

barefootgypsy - When I'm Cleaning Windows - Congrats, Lesley! You've been working on the split stroke a while and attending Formby conferences, and now we get to hear you! This was an impressive effort on this style because it's a mystery to so many of us. Well done!

Eugene Ukulele - Factory Maid (bonus) - Great picking! And so lively you yourself can't sit still. You were channeling Woody for sure in this song. The resonator uke and your strong singing in this would be memorable in a big meeting hall, and cheers from the crowd would follow. A tippy-top performance!

we tigers - Race for the Prize - The Seasons have prompted you to get better recording gear and a new glock for Saskia. The result is that your song sounds better than ever. This is a delicate and poignant song about work that is little noticed unless it has a spectacular result. Very tender singing. I was quite touched.

uke4ia - Working for the Government - Wow, Jim, this is one of my favorites that you've done. Love the thumb picking and the repetitive working for the government lines. "When you drive around with gov't plates, everyone thinks you're FBI"---that's a positive, right? That's like a super power? Is there tension between fed, state, county and city guys?

Check that I've got your songs on the right playlist.

GinnyT11
01-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Not my best work, but very, very hard to do. I've referred to it as "a little too close to home", and you'll see why. Tom Paxton wrote the song "The Bravest" on September 24, 2001. It had taken that long for many people, not just Tom, to be able to say, sing, or write what was slamming around inside of them. I first heard this song when Garrison Keillor sang it on "A Prairie Home Companion".

I cried. As you'll see in the video, the song still makes me cry. Thanks for putting up with me on this one.

-Kurt

Kurt, I stand silent, in awe. That was amazing. Your emotion showed clearly as you played, and that vulnerability in you changes us. It's a privilege to know you better through this song. I salute you.

Hippie Dribble
01-10-2013, 01:43 PM
another one for the cotton farmers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S4RXzMGH14

1927. Bob Miller; Emma Dermer.

wonderful sharecropper song from the cotton farms of America. Apparently, the town merchants of the time laughed at the mere thought of such a song as this, but it did become well known and was composed in protest and sympathy for the appalling circumstances of the farmers and the shortness of their cotton.

I learned this one from Pete Seeger's wonderful album 'American Industrial ballads', recorded for Folkways in 1956. This is a home audio recording that I dug up from a few years back.

(Bb)Seven cent cotton and (Eb)forty cent ((Bb)meat,
How in the world can a (F)poor man eat?
(Bb)Flour up high and (Eb)cotton down (Bb)low,
How in the world can we (F)raise the (Bb)dough?
(Eb)Clothes worn out, (Bb)shoes run down,
(C)Old slouch hat with a (F)hole in the crown,
(Bb)Back nearly broken and (Eb)fingers all (Bb)sore,
Cotton gone down to (F)rise no (Bb)more.

Seven cent cotton and forty cent meat,
How in the world can a poor man eat?
Mules in the barn, no crops laid by,
Corn crib empty and the cow's gone dry.
Well water low, nearly out of sight,
Can't take a bath on Saturday night.
No use talking, any man is beat
With seven cent cotton and forty cent meat.

Seven cent cotton and eight dollar pants,
Who in the world has got a chance?
We can't buy clothes and we can't buy meat,
Too much cotton and not enough to eat.
Can't help each other, what shall we do ?
I can't explain it so it's up to you.
Seven cent cotton and two dollar hose,
Guess we'll have to do without any clothes.

Seven cent cotton and forty cent meat
How in the world can a poor man eat?
Poor getting poorer all around here,
Kids coming regular every year.
Fatten our hogs, take 'em to town,
All we get is six cents a pound.
Very next day we have to buy it back,
Forty cents a pound in a paper sack.

Hippie Dribble
01-10-2013, 02:01 PM

I cried.

-Kurt

brother this is incredible. Powerful. Confronting. Deeply moving. So raw and real and so truly heartfelt. What an experience to have lived through. Thankyou for sharing your story with us mate and baring your soul in this way. I was mesmerized. This is a memorable performance and one of my youtube highlights ever. You just made a man cry on the other side of the world. Instant favourite. Thankyou Kurt

Jazzbanjorex
01-10-2013, 03:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5refmoSxOO0&feature=youtu.be

uke4ia
01-10-2013, 04:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5refmoSxOO0

Yeah!!!

I want -- I want my -- I want my MTV

TCK
01-10-2013, 05:27 PM

My god man...this is powerful. Love you for having the guts, and proud to call you my friend.
Wish I could throw an arm around ya and say thanks for that, for so many reasons, in person but I can't. Just know I would if I could.
Not a dry eye in the house.
Bless up- Dave

pdxuke
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Thank you for that, Kurt. There's reason to cry. We cry and we remember, all of us. Thank you for being there.

myrnaukelele
01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
a Seasonista collaboration.

http://youtu.be/AP9o2eeHwHQ

Barbablanca
01-11-2013, 01:32 AM
Hey Myrna... You did it! Thanks a lot! Interesting how you applied the folk process to the song. I was a little taken aback at first by your change of the melody in the verses, but by the third verse I was really into it.

Long live UU collaborations! ;)

ukuleledaveey
01-11-2013, 02:10 AM

I cried.

-Kurt

http://youtu.be/HHLjy2Ms0QY

WOW kurt very powerful and emotive, thank you so so so much for sharing with us and for baring those very powerful and sad emotions with your friends on here. Deeply moving and in this modern world where everyone chases the buck and all the latest gadgets and sport stars, etc get accolades, titles, sponsorship and adualation, we forget the real hero's and those that are so more deserving of our praise and admiration.
Thank you so much Kurt i feel blessed that you chose to share with us, sending you massive hugs mate and i feel priveledged to know you on this great site and a fellow seasonista, all the best mate from me and thanks for your nice words on my tune (even though that is really insignificant now, i just wanted to be polite and thank you)
Have a great weekend and i feel honoured to know you throuigh the medium of this site and ukulele, best rergards from me.

mikef
01-11-2013, 05:04 AM
Hi guys. I've not had much time this week to make many comments... rather more "listen while I work" (which is rather apt for this weeks theme... hi hooooo). So I just wanted to say a big collective "you guys rock"... as ever there have been some outstanding contributions. Every week the Seasons puts a smile on face.

I'll make a special mention to xommen's bonus though... Prog Uke!! Awesome!!
And as has already been said, Kurt's entry was just so moving.

Bravo the lot of you.

eor
01-11-2013, 06:12 AM
hey folks

I have been ejoying the seasons and thought i might as well do a quick entry since its been a while.

great entries every one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS_4BA5sjyE

we tigers
01-11-2013, 06:55 AM
Eor, I can't see your video because it's marked as private. I think you have to change some settings.

eor
01-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Eor, I can't see your video because it's marked as private. I think you have to change some settings.

can you see it now?

Hiddencross
01-11-2013, 07:45 AM
can you see it now?

I can see it. Nice job.

eor
01-11-2013, 08:19 AM
I can see it. Nice job.

thank you

eor

GinnyT11
01-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Eugene Ukulele - Seven-Cent Cotton (bonus) - This sounds very old-timey. Delightful picking and even better when you add the second track. I also liked the little bit of reverb at the end.

Jazzbanjorex - Money for Nothing (bonus) - Super picking/strum combination and a good suggestion. I'm sorry you had to do a lot of takes for it, but it still sounded fresh.

myrnaukululele - Sons of the Soil - This is a first, and a really good idea! Berni in Catalonia wrote a song for a woman to sing, and myrna took up the challenge. And the lark of Southeast Alaska brought a new approach to it.
You're singing much lower than usual, which works really well with this song, as does the baritone uke. I also like the lamplit room, dimmer than your other vids, but it's such a good mood choice here. Very nice collaboration.

eor - Working at the Carwash Blues - Nice to see you here, eor! I'm glad you did that song---it fits perfectly this week. You had a good strum on that beautiful Covered Bridge redwood/myrtle tenor, and nice back beat with your foot. Welcome, welcome!

filipinouker
01-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Not my favourite song (although I adore James Taylor!), but it's the only song I can think of that's has a work theme and very loosely describes what I do every day (erm, no... I'm not a cardiologist or heart surgeon ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-bq_d9O-6w

GinnyT11
01-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Not my favourite song (although I adore James Taylor!), but it's the only song I can think of that's has a work theme and very loosely describes what I do every day (erm, no... I'm not a cardiologist or heart surgeon ;) )

Oh, yippee ki yay, a song from filipinouker!
You're a great picker, and you've got a smooth, easy, balanced strum too. I love your singing voice. Your phrasing was perfect, and I like the smile you had on your face and in your lyrics. Very well done, S.!

Oh, PS---I loved the guinea pig at the beginning. It's called a "cochon d'Inde" in French. ;)

Tootler
01-11-2013, 11:04 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-bq_d9O-6w

Very nicely done. A real blast from the past for me. I remember this song from my schooldays in the late 50s/early 60s. Needless to say not James Taylor's version.

Tootler
01-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Teesside, where I live in the UK has two major industries - steel and chemicals. I have two songs written by local songwriters about the Chemical Industry.

The Chemical Workers' song written by Ron Angel who ran a folk club in Stockton for over 30 years reflects conditions in the Chemical industry in times gone by.

http://youtu.be/9RL01aapH9w

Sadly, Ron Angel suffered a heart attack a few years ago and has since become a recluse but in his earlier days was an important figure in the Teesside folk scene.

Tootler
01-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Graeme Miles is a prolific local songwriter. He was born in the South of England but moved North and fell in love with the area and set out to document the industries, the people and the countryside around the Tees Estuary and in the Cleveland district of Yorkshire.

Salt beds were discovered under the Tees estuary and they provided both table salt and feedstock for the chemical industry.

Graeme's song both describes the activity of the workers who extracted the salt and also describes the bleakness of the marshes round the Tees Estuary.

http://youtu.be/jXT7dTt6trs

GinnyT11
01-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Tootler's amazing work songs:

Chemical Workers' Song---This is an interesting song, but fairly alarming, Geoff. "Every day you work here, you're two days nearer death"---that's a pretty raw thought. It's hard to think about people working in such circumstances, but of course they do. It's "better living through chemistry."
Good energy in the playing, and I can hear your lyrics more clearly with your new recording setup.

Salt People---More history I didn't know---I only know about making salt from the sea, not briny estuaries. The image of the people is enhanced by the descriptions of scenes and sounds. And the salt, which we consider quite inexpensive, is described as silvery crystals under the moon, so it's inherently beautiful and valuable to the songwriter.

Thanks a lot for doing these two bonuses; I enjoyed them.

Barbablanca
01-11-2013, 01:09 PM
Geoff were you thinking of Del Shannon's version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqkVXX1KnT0) of "Handy Man" - I remember that one too. Though James really makes it his own and our lovely Filipinouker does it proud too! I always love your videos FPU :)

GinnyT11
01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
There's also the very risqué "My Handy Man." I discovered it way back on Alberta Hunter's Amtrak Blues album, but I see it was written in 1928 and was popularized by Ethel Waters. I love the muted trumpet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmFtwwCOmmo

weerpool
01-11-2013, 01:41 PM
i've been off of the seasons for a bit but im sort of back, here is my entry for the week. thank you GT3T11 for hosting !!!!!
i love your take on JT's handy man Ms. Filipinouker!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WQC7lC2hJg

GinnyT11
01-11-2013, 03:59 PM
weerpool - Fred Jones, part 2 - Fantastic work! You have quite a range of skill because I remember your multi-wonderful "Tell Her No" from British Invasion week.
The picking here is awesome, and I was very taken with how the dynamic of your singing changed---that's what made it poignant. Really good work, John. Please do a bonus this weekend.

PS--Ben Folds Five is from my town.

GinnyT11
01-11-2013, 04:03 PM
NOTE:

I'm really enjoying these entries.

:) Please check to make sure I've put your songs on the right playlist.

:) I look forward to the entries of some regulars who come here on weekends. Those of you who have made entries, please post bonuses.
Anyone thinking of doing "Take This Job and Shove It"?

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Busy work week just ended. Whew. I got in a little practice every day, but no time to record yet. Here's a bonus I recorded last April...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUE2UcyOPKo

Tomorrow is enjoy-the-Season-47-playlist day; y'all know I'm looking forward to it!

Tootler
01-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Geoff were you thinking of Del Shannon's version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqkVXX1KnT0) of "Handy Man" - I remember that one too. Though James really makes it his own and our lovely Filipinouker does it proud too! I always love your videos FPU :)

Jimmy Jones from 1959/60

bbbannister
01-11-2013, 11:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JdtIxcpeSs

-Kurt

Great song, nicely delivered, held me the whole way through. Bob

bbbannister
01-11-2013, 11:44 PM
We recorded a song by the Flaming Lips that celebrates the work of the people that try so hard to find cures for the people we love. It is in memory of Saskia's father, who passed away 10 years ago this month.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eQXmIZUoEw

Love that new Glock, sounds great. Nice entry We Tigers.

Bob.

Tootler
01-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Tootler's amazing work songs:

Chemical Workers' Song---This is an interesting song, but fairly alarming, Geoff. "Every day you work here, you're two days nearer death"---that's a pretty raw thought. It's hard to think about people working in such circumstances, but of course they do. It's "better living through chemistry."
Good energy in the playing, and I can hear your lyrics more clearly with your new recording setup.

The modern chemical industry is a pretty safe place to work, though when things go wrong, they tend to go wrong big time. It wasn't always the case and the song reflects the chemical industry up till the 1950s as it was written in the mid 60s as a result of stories Ron heard from older chemical workers.

Salt People---More history I didn't know---I only know about making salt from the sea, not briny estuaries. The image of the people is enhanced by the descriptions of scenes and sounds. And the salt, which we consider quite inexpensive, is described as silvery crystals under the moon, so it's inherently beautiful and valuable to the songwriter.

Thanks a lot for doing these two bonuses; I enjoyed them.

The salt actually occurred deep underground as rock salt. The method of extraction was to drill a borehole, pump water down to dissolve the salt then pump the brine back up to the surface where it was purified and crystallised in a processing plant. Part of the marshes on the north bank of the river are now a nature reserve but the closed off well heads where the salt was extracted are still scattered round the site. It's a great place to go for a peaceful walk and there is plenty of bird life, but interesting as it's surrounded by industry.

wallyboy
01-12-2013, 02:04 AM
some great stuff been posted, some great talent on this site thats for sure, gives me inspiration, some moving songs well done,

barefootgypsy
01-12-2013, 03:08 AM
At last I have some time again to play my uke, and to watch some Seasons vids, and I'm slowly working through, gonna watch as many as I can. Generally, I'm commenting on Youtube - but I have another name on there (songandancedaisy) .... just to confuse everyone! I've really enjoyed all the entries I've seen so far - what a talented crowd you all are, it's such fun to share.... thank you all so much for the pleasure you bring. Just wanted to say.

And Ginny - thanks for a great week with a great theme... your responses to peoples' efforts are so sensitive and well-considered. Love ya.

filipinouker
01-12-2013, 04:33 AM
I've just finished listening to the entries list (31 entries, not counting mine) - whew!
There is an amazing amount of talent here!!! Songs with "delicious" chords (if that makes sense), moving lyrics (original works which are culturally, historically, musically rich), beautiful voices, creative fingerpicking/strumming, toe-tapping rhythms... I could go on!!!

Ginny - this is a great week and you are a fabulous, attentive & encouraging host. Never knew there were so many songs about work. So enjoyable to listen to. You and Mr T have a tremendously difficult task ahead, judging and choosing... I'll bet it will be a painful process! All the best to you!

Lalz
01-12-2013, 05:06 AM
Catching up on the seasons thing :) Really enjoy watching everyone's videos!

I just remembered a very nice vintage Eugene video he did of the song Peg and Awl, one of the first workers song about the Industrial Revolution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE7Xd6BttZI

(Boy have I spent hours trying to learn how to play that intro! hehe)

Other favourites are Lee Dorsey's "Working in The Coal Mine", Peggy Seeger's "Gonna Be an Engineer" and the ultimate workers song... "L'Internationale" :)

GinnyT11
01-12-2013, 05:18 AM
Thanks, Lalou, for popping in. I know that if you didn't have a broken wrist, you'd be posting here too. ;)

I'm hoping for that Lee Dorsey work song too, plus ones I know by Sam Cooke, Belafonte, Springsteen, Tina Turner, Dylan, Beatles, and Simon &G. (PM me if you want titles.)

Garydavkra
01-12-2013, 06:41 AM
I finally put something together. It's not the best but, then it never really is since I don't have a lot of time within a week. It's an original song and pretty rough called "I Can't Wait". It's a positive song about work and loosely based on my own situation. Most of my videos have the easel in the background because, it's the only place in the house that has good light and I feel comfortable. One of these days when I retire, I plan to teach, draw and paint full time. As it is right now I spend my evenings and weekends drawing and painting and I teach an art class during the week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUu5LIBS6Q&feature=youtu.be

GinnyT11
01-12-2013, 07:25 AM
theonlyukethatmatters - Career Opportunities - I love the rhythm you've got in that song, plus the fantastic percussion sound. I hope you post more songs playing that baritone, which sounds terrific.
I well know this feeling of wanting something wonderful to come along and knock. I've been unemployed for some time, though I do freelance writing, and I keep waiting for someone to say "You're the one we want for this fabulous job you can do so well."

An anecdote: A family friend of ours retired from the USAF in 1970 after flying in Vietnam. He and his wife settled in the Washington DC area to find a second career. He was driving behind a bus one day that had a sign that said, "Be a bus driver with us and make $15,000 a year!" This amazed him, as that had been his salary as a captain with flight pay in a war zone.

GinnyT11
01-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Garydavkra - I Can't Wait - Oh, wow! A song about loving your work—great!
Many of the songs this week have been about the misery and sometimes danger of work, and this is a nice sentiment you wrote about, and I'm glad you enjoy your situation. The upbeat strum and cheery oh,oh,oh match the idea well. Good job on the songwriting and the ease of your playing.
(PS--I suppose that crown of shining fireflies is derelict and unnecessary now.)

I think most of us would admit that there are parts of our work that we like very much, but it's balancing with the other stuff (e.g, teaching interested students vs. chairing committees) that ultimately determines whether we like our jobs. And that satisfaction meter doesn't stay the same over time...it can be upended when a new boss arrives.

xommen
01-12-2013, 08:12 AM
I did two other bonuses (found them both on this list: http://www.welcometotheoccupation.com/2011/01/songs-about-work-3-d.html), here is the first, it's Let the day begin by the Call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0O0LGxHdNk

xommen
01-12-2013, 08:14 AM
And while I was looking through the list mentioned I found a U2 song, so I had to do that. This is one of those songs that shows how good a singer Bono is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm2X4PFVgC8

uke4ia
01-12-2013, 08:41 AM
I'm hoping for that Lee Dorsey work song too, plus ones I know by Sam Cooke, Belafonte, Springsteen, Tina Turner, Dylan, Beatles, and Simon &G. (PM me if you want titles.)

Sorry, Ginny, I haven't had time to do any bonus songs this week, between trying to get a new song ready for an open mic tonight and preparing to host Season 49. If I did, it would have either been The Band's "King Harvest Has Surely Come" or something from my book of songs and poems about the Newfoundland seal hunting industry.

GinnyT11
01-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Sorry, Ginny, I haven't had time to do any bonus songs this week, between trying to get a new song ready for an open mic tonight and preparing to host Season 49. If I did, it would have either been The Band's "King Harvest Has Surely Come" or something from my book of songs and poems about the Newfoundland seal hunting industry.

Are you SURE you can't do a song about the Newfoundland seal industry?????

uke4ia
01-12-2013, 08:54 AM
I'll try. Since it would be a bonus song anyway, maybe I could submit it a day or two late.

peewee
01-12-2013, 11:19 AM
I've been working like mad this week, I hope to get to seeing all the work songs. Here's my entry with punk rock ballet dancer...It's a tune by the Minutemen from 1983 or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xos6Ocs20HE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

GinnyT11
01-12-2013, 12:08 PM
xommen -
Let the Day Begin (bonus) - I don't know the original, but I liked the song. It calls us to go out and do what we've chosen to do, and everyone's work should be noticed and honored. I sure like that thought.
You've got a power strum on this song. I like your van Gogh in Arles hat.

Redhill Mining Town (bonus) - Thank goodness, Wim, you found a U2 song that blended with the week's theme. A week without U2 would be off-kilter. That mentioned coal mining, but was more about the town nearby. Thanks for bringing it to the party.

Tootler
01-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Another bonus. I have been trying to get a pop filter mounted in front of my mic and it kept falling off. I finally sussed it and I needed to make a recording to test it.

This song is about Whaling and originated in a poem written about 1850 by an Aberdeenshire farm worker called George Scroggie. In becoming a song, the poem got folk processed (= significantly modified) and was collected more or less in the form I sing it here about 1900 though the tune was added much later.

http://youtu.be/0FwhE626SfY

GinnyT11
01-12-2013, 12:17 PM
I've been working like mad this week, I hope to get to seeing all the work songs. Here's my entry with punk rock ballet dancer...It's a tune by the Minutemen from 1983 or so.

Thanks, Peewee, for making a contribution in a busy week. That little song expresses a lot of young people's frustration. Why do we have to work, after all? Nice simple strumming that suits the tune.

I think your back-up dancer has Twyla Tharp in mind more than ballet.

TCK
01-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Sure are loads of pretty depressing songs about work aren't there?
Here is one that is sickeningly sweet out of the 1950's time machine.
The fifties must have been great (or at least cleverly disguised)-
Full Time Job- Eddie Arnold, now with added mistakes and in "Living Stereo" ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRo-oQ9k34g&feature=youtu.be

Wongo
01-12-2013, 02:27 PM
last minute entry. Song is by hardfi. Living for the weekend. This is for you Ginny. Thank you for your unfailing encouragement. Hopefully my best entry so far. Will leave that up to you:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIeeV8mifNg

pdxuke
01-12-2013, 02:36 PM
I've never posted a song before and I'm not camera happy. Therefore, while this can't be official because it's audio only, consider it me sticking my toe in the waters.

NINE POUND HAMMER

I multi tracked this, and wanted the feel of my family reunions in Virginia when I was a boy. Everyone would be feeling pretty good by the time we all got to making music.

Vintage Martin 0, late 40s. Martin strings.

https://soundcloud.com/pdxuke/nine-pound-hammer

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Thanks for a great week, Ginny!

Here's my entry; written by Prince, performed by the Bangles---pure 80s pop bliss.

http://youtu.be/a2HGZfbyetY

23skidoo
01-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Here's my multitracked offering.... not sure if the tune applies thematically, but it's pretty close, I think.....

http://youtu.be/WSatcOarN7U

GinnyT11
01-12-2013, 04:46 PM
last minute entry. Song is by hardfi. Living for the weekend. This is for you Ginny. Thank you for your unfailing encouragement. Hopefully my best entry so far. Will leave that up to you:)

Alex, your video is set to private. Set it to unlisted, then we can see it, but not the whole world.
Thank you for your very kind words. It gratifies me that I got you engaged enough to participate here.

GinnyT11
01-12-2013, 05:08 PM
theonlyukethatmatters - Manic Monday - Your new Mele baritone is really something. You capo-ed it and percussed it, and it sounded just great on this song. Very nice playing---you have developed some techniques that we don't see on your sopranos, some interesting fingering and flourishes. Perhaps you should focus on that size for a while.

23skidoo - Tecumseh Valley - You've been away too long, Bill. That was some beautiful presentation. I loved the low guitar and the low voice and the uke counterpoint. After being a fantastic player and singer, you're a fine recording engineer too, because that was seamless and a pleasure to listen too. I'm sorry about the girl, though...that part was not so nice.

TCK - Full Time Job (bonus) - That is very cheery for work songs week. Not many tunes about soul-killing work are played on the banjo. I like how your singing comes out so calm and smooth against the lively banjolele strum. You make it look so easy, Dave. Tks!

Tootler - Farewell to Tarwathie (bonus)- Whaling is definitely hard work, and it was not entirely certain you'd come back. Nice song from the epic era of whaling. (Check out the amazing nonfiction story of wrecked whalers In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick.)

pdxuke - Nine Pound Hammer - pdx, we are in great need of your playing and singing here in the Seasons! That was a ripping tune and I could imagine everyone jumping in to sing at a big gathering. Very nice multitracking. Alas, because you're already invisible, you will not be eligible for the invisibility cloak given to first-timers this week. We definitely need more of your stuff, and be bold, do a video next time!

FiL
01-12-2013, 06:23 PM
This is my first multi-track entry in the Seasons. I pretty much spent all day putting this together. (Windows Live Movie Maker is a PITA if you're trying to splice together multiple videos.) Ah well, appropriate to the theme, it was a lot of work!

Speaking of work...for my day job, I'm a web designer and database admin. But my grandfather was a lineman for Ma Bell back in the day. (Kept him out of WWII, since his job was considered essential.) So in his honor, I've done up "Wichita Lineman" using all three of my tenor ukes.

http://youtu.be/7Kc_S-ye-98

- FiL

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-12-2013, 08:11 PM
theonlyukethatmatters - Manic Monday - Your new Mele baritone is really something. You capo-ed it and percussed it, and it sounded just great on this song. Very nice playing---you have developed some techniques that we don't see on your sopranos, some interesting fingering and flourishes. Perhaps you should focus on that size for a while.
Thanks, Ginny! The percussive knocks on the top were made in tribute to eugene ukulele. I chose the baritone so I could get nice sustain for ringing chords; the capo made it much easier to play the melody line. I love the baritone and it'll get plenty of attention, but I'm still a soprano guy at heart. [plink plinky plink]

Joko
01-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Uggh.. whattaweek! Tomorrow makes seven straight days working. Barely got this in on time!

As I mentioned last week, I'm starting a new job & career come April. This has me wondering, what is an appropriate amount of notice to give? Should I give them two weeks like is the standard? Or maybe two months, so they'll have time to hire my replacement and I might even help train him or her... In any case, on my last day, I'll post this song to the company's intranet...

http://youtu.be/_ldamh-V5z4

thesillydave
01-12-2013, 09:56 PM
ginny said my other entry wasn't silly enough...being that i am thesillydave! so, here's a bonus entry...silly as it is!

http://youtu.be/2dn1xOU8mS0

great season everyone! now on to album rock!!

Wongo
01-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Alex, your video is set to private. Set it to unlisted, then we can see it, but not the whole world.
Thank you for your very kind words. It gratifies me that I got you engaged enough to participate here.

Have changed it so it can be seen now. Thanks for a great week

GinnyT11
01-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Wongo - Working for the Weekend - Hooray for you, Alex! That was a great song and mucho fun---I loved your undercover percussionist. You're getting more confident with both playing and singing, which is very impressive for the relative newcomer that you are. You're making great strides. I've seen elsewhere on the forum that you're upgrading your ukes, which is the sign of someone committed to growth and improvement in playing (also a sign of uke insanity, but ignore that). Your gratitude touches me and makes me feel delight too. Bravo, man---keep going!

FiL - Wichita Lineman - Wow, you've got some multi-tracking chops, FiL! Your office songs are well played, but clearly you have a lot to offer when you let yourself loose. I love that slow banjo in the background, and the picking interlude on the Kala. This was a great entry because you used all your musical skills on a song that had deep personal meaning. Really fine work---it was a day well spent.

Joko - Take This Job and Shove It - Love it, love it, love it! Probably every one of us has wanted to say that to a boss at one time in our lives. I like the little reverb in your main track, and the second track had some funny things in it. Thanks for doing this song this week. As to your question about giving notice, I'd say a month is generous of you and plenty for them.

thesillydave - Boney Fingers - Okay, this is silly, especially with the twitching of the skeletal arm. Very cute!

chrimess
01-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Happy New Year, Ginny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eycVqrsgrIw&sns=em

decaturcomp
01-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Well, I'm more than a little in love with this season. Some of the songs may be sad or angry but many of us are happy in our work, I'd guess. We have time to play our ukes and sing these songs and listen to the friends we have made and continue to make here. I, for one feel very lucky and thankful and send healing helping thoughts to our friends and neighbors who are unemployed or underemployed.

Thanks to everyone, especially Ginny!

Here's one last song from me on this subject with a little bit of a family tie-in I'll explain briefly up front:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVjohN16sf0

Jazzbanjorex
01-13-2013, 10:36 AM
I've never posted a song before and I'm not camera happy. Therefore, while this can't be official because it's audio only, consider it me sticking my toe in the waters.

NINE POUND HAMMER

I multi tracked this, and wanted the feel of my family reunions in Virginia when I was a boy. Everyone would be feeling pretty good by the time we all got to making music.

Vintage Martin 0, late 40s. Martin strings.

https://soundcloud.com/pdxuke/nine-pound-hammer

Nicely done song and that's a really good sounding recording.
Rex

Hippie Dribble
01-13-2013, 11:01 AM
We have a lil' farm, so here's one for the farmers and the mercenary prices the big corporations get away with paying them in these times of centralised capital

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCuwtJkw1-k

GinnyT11
01-13-2013, 11:53 AM
chrimess - Roxanne in the Office - As if anyone needed proof, it's clear here that the Seasons' Founding Father has a profound rocker's soul. Pro-found. The Ubass was a great choice for this song, and I loved the Sting-y falsetto singing in your simple version. Thanks so much for your entry this week.

decaturcomp - Millworker (bonus) - I liked this song a lot. It's the first I've heard from a woman's point of view, and of the crushing boredom of the job. Few poor millworkers would have had education that would have exposed them to interesting stories or the practice of imagining. "Me and my machine for the rest of the morning, for the rest of the afternoon, for the rest of my life." This is brutal. I also liked hearing about your grandmother---she found good purpose in her work.

Eugene Ukulele - The Farmer is the Man (bonus)- This was quite interesting, Jon. Economic social commentary in a simple song. In addition to the grocery conglomerates controlling the markets, as you describe, few of us realize how close small farmers are to financial disaster---a drought, a loan being called, or a serious illness in the family can wipe them out.

wolfchs
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Greetings everyone! I am back... not as strong as I'd hoped, but here I am :o

This song has two meanings for me:
1. I use this song to justify my U.A.S. ;) and...
2. It reminds me of my mom when she was raising me on her own and working hard to make sure I get to go to a private school and have a roof over my head and food on the table, and now she lives with me and I'm making sure I'm taking care of her the way she took care of me.

http://youtu.be/kUAXd4LTk5E

By the way, very very awesome entries this season. Way to go everyone!

~Mina :o

barefootgypsy
01-13-2013, 12:11 PM

2. It reminds me of my mom when she was raising me on her own and working hard to make sure I get to go to a private school and have a roof over my head and food on the table, and now she lives with me and I'm making sure I'm taking care of her the way she took care of me.

Mina, this is ace - lovely rendition, so relaxed and well done - and good on you for appreciating your Mom and looking after her....fantastic. Loved it.

myrnaukelele
01-13-2013, 12:11 PM

By the way, very very awesome entries this season. Way to go everyone!

~Mina :o
Awesome entry! Your strong vocals and playing are wonderful as always. And this is a perfect song for this Season.

ukuLily Mars
01-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Hi everybody! Everyone has really outdone themselves this week. Especially filipinouker's guinea pig.

I'm a playwright and mystery writer, but as for the stuff that pays the bills, I'm sometimes a freelance writer and marketing consultant, sometimes an editor, sometimes a word processor/formatter. I, too, am married to an academic (professor of marketing, but he's a writer as well).

Now, I know what you've all been asking yourselves: Why doesn't Lily do more cowboy songs? Well, all right, if you insist! I hope you enjoy this one! It's by Johnny Mercer and was recorded by Bing Crosby, but my favorite version was by the Mills Brothers on their San Antonio Rose album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W3TxOLA2iY
Ginny, thanks for a great Season and for being such an enthusiastic host and supportive Seasonista!

PatriciaPDX
01-13-2013, 12:38 PM
So many great entries; have really enjoyed watching them all! I've had to miss submitting an entry to this season because I've been pretty ill with the flu, but hoping to be back next season. Thank you all for keeping me entertained while I've been ill! :)

bbbannister
01-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Just got in under the wire.

Chris Rea Work Gang.

http://youtu.be/eETC3TsmDwk

Great week all.

Bob

GinnyT11
01-13-2013, 12:42 PM
Two Great Songbirds!

wolfchs - She Works Hard for the Money - Yay, Mina! I'm glad to see you here. This is a powerful song in your hands; it sounds much more poignant on your tenor than it did as a disco song. It's really hard working for tips, smiling when you don't mean it to get maybe another dollar. I appreciate that you sort of dedicated this to your mother---few of us really know how much our parents did for us. Nice one.

ukulily Mars - I'm an Old Cowhand - Lily, I LOVE your voice! It is so sweet and melodic that it swirls around the room. You would never be an old cowhand---you'd be one of the sweethearts of the rodeo in tight jeans and a fancy shirt and a bright-white hat. Maybe...maybe you'd be a barrel racer, but you'd still look good at the end.
(Cowboy story: I went to a rodeo in Colorado and saw a sign that said: Ride bulls. Meet nurses.)