Aloha from Kanile'a 'Ukulele

MANDOLELE

Reaction score
Aloha everyone -

I was asked by MGM to respond recently to a Kanile'a owner's thread so in order to accomplish that, I'm now a member of UU. (It's about time... )

In doing so, member Waterguy suggested that I post a hello so here I am...

I'm Bill Griffin, luthier and shop manager at Kanile'a 'Ukulele in Kaneohe, Hawaii.

I'd like to invite anyone - current Kanile'a owner or considering - to address to me any questions (none too small) about our instruments and I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Mahalo nui loa from a proud new member -

Last edited:
Aloha everyone -

I was asked by MGM to respond recently to a Kanile'a owner's thread so in order to accomplish that, I'm now a member of UU. (It's about time... )

I'm Bill Griffin, luthier and shop manager at Kanile'a 'Ukulele in Kaneohe, Hawaii.

I'd like to invite anyone - current Kanile'a owner or concidering - to address to me any questions (none too small) about our instruments and I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Welcome to UU! I have heard nothing but greatness about your instruments.

Which island is your factory located on?

Welcome Mr. Griffin!!

Can you tell me the story of the Lanikai labelled ukulele's made by Kanile'a?

I've seen several on eBay and I'm considering adding one.

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome, I noticed how you were asked to respond to that thread and I'm glad your a new part of the community, like I am. See you on the UU forums. :)

I haven't got a question, but I do want to say Kanile'a ukuleles are fabulous and a warm welcome to the UU.

Welcome to the UU community! I look forward to taking one of your ukes for a spin, since my arsenal is lacking a tenor and I really, really like to support companies that employ humans. :D

Just want to say that I love my Kanilea.

A big thank you to you and everyone at the shop for doing an amazing job.

Welcome Mr. Griffin!!

Can you tell me the story of the Lanikai labelled ukulele's made by Kanile'a?

I've got an LK concert & more recently an LK soprano (a blemish model) and I'd also like to know more about about them.
When and how long did you guys make them for Hohner and how many were made? When did you change the bracing system, I think mine is likely the older style but I don't know how to tell the difference.

What I do know is that concert is by far the most beautiful sounding ukulele I've ever touched. (I've got to get a proper set up for the soprano, but it's also pretty amazing.)

I've got an LK concert & more recently an LK soprano (a blemish model) and I'd also like to know more about about them.
When and how long did you guys make them for Hohner and how many were made? When did you change the bracing system, I think mine is likely the older style but I don't know how to tell the difference.

You can tell the TRU bracing system by looking at the struts just above and below the sound hole on the inside of the soundboard. If it's got a row of holes drilled across it, it's the TRU bracing. Otherwise it's the old bracing.

I once played one of those Lani-le'a (Lanikai-Kanile'a) concerts and it was indeed a fine sounding uke. In fact, I'm not sure how much of a difference most people will be able to tell between the two bracing styles.

Bill not a question but a request. Get my 8 string po'kela done, Kristan said it should be on you bench in the next couple days. Tenor 8 string spruce and koa with ebony trimmings. Double rosette.

Also when are the mandolele models coming out I want one, and I think I have a build slot opening up in February.

I once played one of those Lani-le'a (Lanikai-Kanile'a) concerts and it was indeed a fine sounding uke. In fact, I'm not sure how much of a difference most people will be able to tell between the two bracing styles.

Hey, I do believe it was in fact my uke you played that one time.:D

Aloha everyone -

I'd like to invite anyone - current Kanile'a owner or considering - to address to me any questions (none too small) about our instruments and I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Welcome aboard! Glad to know you ! Howie

Glad to see you as a member, Bill. I spoke with you on the phone wayyy back when I had a question about my Mango Tenor w/ slanted headstock. You really cracked me up, as I recall. I think this is even a picture of you finishing up my uke on the Kanile'a site (Kristen emailed me when teh new site was up to tell me that my ukulele had made the final cut):

final_setup_step4.jpg

I must say I really love my Kanilea tenor. I will be in Waikiki for easter 2009 .Will be staying for 12 days.I am definately going to Kaneohe .To see personaly how you make these wonderful ukelele. Mahalo

Welcome to Ukulele Underground Bill. I had the pleasure of meeting Joe and Kristen at SCUFF in October and they told me about the great job you are doing for them.
Cheers,

Welcome to UU Bill, didn't realize Kanilea Ukulele was in Kaneohe, I was just there in June for a reunion, would've loved to stopped by. Your ukes are stunning!!

Top Bottom