From the Dark Side.....

Njugglebreck

Reaction score
Hello- I'm Jim, from Shetland, and just recieved a shiny electric uke for Christmas. I'm now waiting (im)patiently for the postman to deliver a mini amp so I can really annoy the Mrs, kids, dogs and the neighbours :)

I've played the tenor b*njo (is there a sweary-word filter here?) for years with more enthusiasm than aptitude- Scottish and Irish traditional tunes, but never really got the hand of chords- I can play 4, but they're all in different keys!

The uke is even making me want to try to sing, which is something I hardly ever do..... well, not until much later in the evening!

Its a whole new beginning..............

Welcome to UU! It was a rude awakening for me when I realized playing ukulele kind of requires singing, but the boyfriend's ears will adjust.

Looking forward to hearing you rock out some of your Scottish traditional tunes on ukulele. I've been there a few times, but never outside the Glasgow/Edinburgh area. Gorgeous country and great music!

Greetings and welcome....may have to trade that tenor for a banjo uke. Made a road trip through Scotland when stationed in England in mid-70's. Ate haggis in the VW garage parking lot waiting for borrowed camper to be repaired and caught and ate a nice fat trout on the banks of Loch Ness. Loved the place.

I've been there a few times, but never outside the Glasgow/Edinburgh area. Gorgeous country and great music!

Thanks

The scenery and the music just get better, the further away from the central belt you go.
I've tried picking out a few reels and jigs - but its going to take a while to get used to the tuning........ and not having a plectrum.......

I can now play more chords on the uke than I can on banjo or guitar!!
The tenor's a keeper I'm afraid - although a banjo uke would look cute next to it on the wall?

(Ive also just spent a very frustrating 60s trying to enter the captcha words into the title bar..................*hangs head in shame*)

Jim

Thanks

The scenery and the music just get better, the further away from the central belt you go.
I've tried picking out a few reels and jigs - but its going to take a while to get used to the tuning........ and not having a plectrum.......

I can now play more chords on the uke than I can on banjo or guitar!!
The tenor's a keeper I'm afraid - although a banjo uke would look cute next to it on the wall?

(Ive also just spent a very frustrating 60s trying to enter the captcha words into the title bar..................*hangs head in shame*)

Jim

The most gorgeous place I got to was Stirling. Can't imagine how beautiful it must be in the further flung areas.

And no shame about the captcha. I did the same thing and actually didn't notice until I posted! I think my browser put the cursor there automatically and I didn't realize it, or at least that is my excuse. Once you post a few time, the captcha will go away.

Hi, Jim -

Welcome to the best uke site! You will find it addictive, and we will be happy to be your enablers!

Yep, I've spent time in Scotland too - four vacations and five weeks as an exchange pharmacist in the fall of 1988. A beautiful place!

Welcome to UU, Jim. Glad you joined us. Sounds like you'll have the picking hand down in no time. Just start in the key of C and you'll be scaring the neighbors in no time.

I got to go to Dunoon in my travels and loved it. I would personally like to thank you Scots for perfecting whiskey.

They haven't made the perfect whisky yet- that's why we have to keep trying it..... (hic)

Top Bottom