Any info on Pukanala strings?

kjmillig1

Reaction score
I just bought a set of Pukanala strings. My local uke shop said they were better than the Aquila Nylgut strings they carry. The Aquila strings were white, while the Pukanalas are semi-clear, if that means anything. Any experiences?

Sorry, but have not heard of their brand of strings nor have known anyone who uses them. The only reference I've found is through Ukulele World and correct spelling is Pukana La. They're a Ukulele Company introduced at the 2012 NAMM and in all probability their instruments are made overseas though not quite sure where. As far as their strings go, it's probably repackaged fluorocarbon line. Just my dos centavos. Do you have photos of the packaging? Any other details would be of help.

The company spells it as one word on their website home page. I'll try to get a photo uploaded of the packaging. I'm thinking their instruments may be made in China, although the string package says Japan.

I've had contact with the company direct re their ukes (yes far eastern models, though I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of their entry level concert they let me have a go of - far better than much of the competition at the price)

Strings wise though, yes, they will be a re-package job from another maker under licence. Lots of brands do it.

I tried an all koa concert today (a friend had just bought) and it had semi clear strings and they felt odd. The site spec says Aquila but I suspected they weren't. Nor fluorocarbon...

I just bought a set of Pukanala strings. My local uke shop said they were better than the Aquila Nylgut strings they carry. The Aquila strings were white, while the Pukanalas are semi-clear, if that means anything. Any experiences?

aquila is highly regarded innovative strings usually they can make a 50 uke sound like a 100-200 dollar uke.
Never heard of this brand, that doesn't mean their bad, but if you think about it if the name hasn't been around
in these forums their either new, or not all that great or have bad marketing not sure which it is, let us know how they sound though
i'd be interested.

I tried an all koa concert today (a friend had just bought) and it had semi clear strings and they felt odd. The site spec says Aquila but I suspected they weren't. Nor fluorocarbon...

Found a link for the model I tried. Fluorocarbon on the all wood acacia. The semi clear are thus probably fluorocarbon.

Top Bottom