Sound difference concert Fluke or Flea?

we tigers

Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering a Flea or a Fluke in concert size as the ideal camping ukulele.
Is there a difference in sound between a Flea and a Fluke (both concert). I like the look of a Flea a little better, but if the Fluke sounds better, I'll choose a Fluke.

Its probably going to come down to preference. When I was trying them out, my opinion was that the Fluke had a little more bass response but the Flea sounded better balanced. That and I liked the looks of the Flea just a little more made my decision to go with a Flea.

I preferred the body shape of the flea I have had two of them, but can't go wrong either way. I love my current pineapple tenor flea. I used to have a soprano tiki flea. Loved them both.

Which sounds better is very subjective - it is all personal preference. But as a previous poster pointed out the Fluke has a little more bass. It is more boomy sounding if that makes sense.

I personally think the fluke it has more bottom end but that's been stated already . I have one in my work truck that I have been packing around and playing for years they sound great

Last edited:
Owned both for some years (and like both).

the Fluke really does have a more bassy, full and rounded sound to my ears than the Flea. It's strange - if I play the Flea all day I am ultra pleased with it. If I then immediately pick up the Fluke it blows it out of the water to me and I dont then like going straight back to the Flea.

They are just different thats all - as would naturally be the case with different bodies. I still recommend them both (highly)

I own both a concert size Flea and Fluke and enjoy them both very much. The flea is smaller so it might be a better choice for packing & transport. As for sound, either one would do the job charmingly.

I think the Flea is easier to hold, if that matters to you.

I think the Flea is easier to hold, if that matters to you.

Yes, this. I got the opportunity to try both. A Fluke and a Flea were sent to me, and I could buy the one I preferred. To be honest, I didn't spend a lot of time judging sound differences. But feel... yes, the Flea is nicer to hold, for me anyway. I also prefer the look. I remember some years ago on an older forum, the consensus was that the Flea's body was too deep and the sound not as pleasing as the Fluke. It was the groupthink of everyone posting in that thread. So much so, that I thought getting a Flea was a big mistake.

Nah, that was just forum groupthink. Whichever you go with, you won't be sorry. :)

I own or have owned both tenor and concert fleas and flukes. As those before me have said, the fluke has a little more bottom end. Both are plenty loud. The flea is easier to hold. The shape of the fluke can be awkward for some. I have the foam anti-slip pads on the back of mine. If you are getting it for camping I would recommend the plastic fretboard. Just don't put any wound strings on it.

Top Bottom