PDA

View Full Version : Luthiers or Uke Shops in Kauai? Recommendations?

blue_knight_usa
01-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Hello All,

I will be heading to Kauai in April. Do any of know of any custom luthiers on the Island there or any uke shops? Appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

wickedwahine11
01-08-2013, 02:40 AM
Hi, I don't know of any luthiers, but I do know of about five uke shops.

If you are on the South or West part of the island, there are Scotty's in Anahola and the Ukulele Store in Koloa.

In Kapa'a there are Larry's Music and Kauai Music and Sound.

And in Hanalei on the North Shore, there is Hanalei Strings and Things.

Have a great trip, Kauai is such a wonderful place!

gyosh
01-08-2013, 02:50 AM

If you are on the South or West part of the island, there are Scotty's in Anahola and the Ukulele Store in Koloa.

The ukulele store in Koloa is a second store of Larry's in Kapaa. The Kapaa store is also the home base for Sam Bananno (sp?) and both stores carry Kamoa almost exclusively, just so you know. Still a must do. Great people!

Kanaka916
01-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Island Ukulele (http://www.ukuleledirect.com/index.php) in Kealia and please check the 808 Builders List (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?16211-808-Builders). You can also ask the locals if they know of anyone who builds. Hawaii has some very talented and skilled craftsman, and their wares can be found by way of just talkin story wit da locals.

gyosh
01-08-2013, 05:58 AM
And make sure you hit up the Oasis on Wednesdays and Rob's Good Time Grill on Friday. A couple UUer's play shows there every week. :)

mds725
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
I believe Kamoa has a line of ukuleles made on Kaua'i by local luthiers. Stop by Larry's Music in Kapa'a which, as has been mentioned, has become a Kamoa shop, to see if they have any locally-built Kamoas in stock.

hawaii 50
01-08-2013, 09:07 AM
I believe Kamoa has a line of ukuleles made on Kaua'i by local luthiers. Stop by Larry's Music in Kapa'a which, as has been mentioned, has become a Kamoa shop, to see if they have any locally-built Kamoas in stock.

Hey Mark>> i heard the Kamoas are made in China by a Violin making company..a local guy(Hawaiian) married into the company and designs the ukes..

MGM told me very few Kamoas where built on Kauai..they gone by now i would think..

wickedwahine11
01-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Hey Mark>> i heard the Kamoas are made in China by a Violin making company..a local guy(Hawaiian) married into the company and designs the ukes..

MGM told me very few Kamoas where built on Kauai..they gone by now i would think..

You have to get one of the ones specially marked as Kauai built.

http://kamoaukulelecompany.com/info.php?id=18

I have one, a KB-T tenor. They usually seem to have a few in the Kapa'a store, when I bought mine I think they had four or so.

hawaii 50
01-08-2013, 09:21 AM

I have one, a KB-T tenor. They usually seem to have a few in the Kapa'a store, when I bought mine I think they had four or so.

Wow you got lucky..Lol
they say the ones built in China not bad..as i guess they have been building violins for awhile now..

The Big Kahuna
01-08-2013, 09:31 AM
I bought my Kanile'a K1-T Premium for $ 1100 from Scotty's in September (or October ?). To be honest, if you buy a Uke from any other store on Kauai you're a dope ;) His prices are unbeatable.

By all means visit "World of Kamoa", but they're way overpriced for Chinese Ukes (in my opinion). Also, I'm not fooled for one second by the fact that they "donate" Ukes to the local Hawaiian cultural centre at Coconut Maketplace for people to learn on. The only reason they do it is so that when 70 year old Joe Average from the mainland comes to visit and has one of the 30 minute Ukulele lessons at 8:30 in the morning, he will take a trip up to Kapa'a and buy a Kamoa. The guy who runs it came over to me while I was standing watching the Marketplace hula show (I had just picked up my Uke that morning) and started telling me how good Kamoa Ukes were, and how generaous they were. He asked to look in the case so he could advise me on how good the "beginner Uke" I'd bought was, then shut the f**k up real fast when he saw what it was.

I know he has a business to run, but I hate the atmosphere in both shops, but the multicoloured Ukes hanging everywhere look like someone ate overpriced rainbow crystals and puked all over the walls.

Can you guess I'm not a fan ?

The Big Kahuna
01-08-2013, 09:38 AM

They are nice Ukes, I played a couple. Scotty has one of those in the store from before Kamoa "bought" the company (or whatever the deal was) and rebranded them. That's the story, anyway. I still fancy one at some point.

Btw, don.t be tempted to buy one of the "Kauai Built" Island Ukes by Raymond Rapozo, they're overpriced junk. The couple that I tried felt as though someone had just hollowed out a piece of solid Koa, the finish was shite and they sounded deader than a dead thing...even taking into account the fact that the strings had probably been on a while.

Stay out of the Ukulele and Knitting shop at Hanalei as well. They guy there wouldn't recognise a decent instrument if you hit him in the face with one. He tried to sell me a junk Rapozo Uke for $ 1800.

hawaii 50
01-08-2013, 09:38 AM
I bought my Kanile'a K1-T Premium for $ 1100 from Scotty's in September (or October ?). To be honest, if you buy a Uke from any other store on Kauai you're a dope ;) His prices are unbeatable.

By all means visit "World of Kamoa", but they're way overpriced for Chinese Ukes (in my opinion). Also, I'm not fooled for one second by the fact that they "donate" Ukes to the local Hawaiian cultural centre at Coconut Maketplace for people to learn on. The only reason they do it is so that when 70 year old Joe Average from the mainland comes to visit and has one of the 30 minute Ukulele lessons at 8:30 in the morning, he will take a trip up to Kapa'a and buy a Kamoa. The guy who runs it came over to me while I was standing watching the Marketplace hula show (I had just picked up my Uke that morning) and started telling me how good Kamoa Ukes were, and how generaous they were. He asked to look in the case so he could advise me on how good the "beginner Uke" I'd bought was, then shut the f**k up real fast when he saw what it was.

I know he has a business to run, but I hate the atmosphere in both shops, but the multicoloured Ukes hanging everywhere look like someone ate overpriced rainbow crystals and puked all over the walls.

Wow..i get it Lol

i am a local guy grew up in Hawaii and advise tourist to watch out for those local hustlers..they might say their ukes built in Hawaii but watch out..

i went to the Aloha Stadium flee market and saw someone selling ukes(to tourist) that were built in Hawaii..but the build quality and sound was really bad and i was 98% sure the ukes were not built in Hawaii..

i asked him later and he told me,,some of the ukes are built in Hawaii..my guess 1 of 100..

PedalFreak
01-08-2013, 09:41 AM

No...really...tell us how you REALLY feel :D

I also bought a uke at Scotty's. Not the coolest environment, but like Kahuna said, the best prices, and great selection when I was there. Once Scotty new I was a serious buyer he pulled out a good number of ukes for me to look at so I could decide.

The Big Kahuna
01-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Where are you going to be staying on Kauai by the way ? Plenty of UU members know Kauai better than me, but I might have been the last to visit there, so I may (possibly) have more up-to-date info on some of the bars, restaurants etc...doubtful though.

There was a new sports bar called "The 9th Island" opened near Safeway down from Kapa'a. They closed at 6PM every night!!!!

I made a bet with a friend who lives on the island that they'd only last 3 months. I'd like to know if they're still open ;)

The Big Kahuna
01-08-2013, 09:45 AM

I also bought a uke at Scotty's. Not the coolest environment, but like Kahuna said, the best prices, and great selection when I was there. Once Scotty new I was a serious buyer he pulled out a good number of ukes for me to look at so I could decide.

Yeah, Scotty can be a bit of a salesman, but he's no worse than most...and a lot better than the mother******s on the jewellery counter in Hilo Hatties in Lihue, running their "Pearl Oyster" scam.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

R

The Big Kahuna
01-08-2013, 09:47 AM
i am a local guy grew up in Hawaii and advise tourist to watch out for those local hustlers..they might say their ukes built in Hawaii but watch out..

Heh yeah mate. The one thing in my favour when I visit Hawaii is the fact that I'm English. Every Englishman is fitted with a bullshit detector at birth. We believe NOTHING :)

hawaii 50
01-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Heh yeah mate. The one thing in my favour when I visit Hawaii is the fact that I'm English. Every Englishman is fitted with a bullshit detector at birth. We believe NOTHING :)

Haha very funny..it's the little old ladies from Iowa that i worry about!!their grand son wanted a nice ukulele from Hawaii etc..

gyosh
01-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Wow you got lucky..Lol
they say the ones built in China not bad..as i guess they have been building violins for awhile now..

There is a hand built line within Kamoa's line that are made on Kauai. "Kauai-built"

Personally, I thought their 500/700 series sound very good . . . but there's always the allure of the hand-built koa uke.

Pueo
01-08-2013, 10:40 AM
I bought my Pono at Scotty's and had a really good experience. I was playing the one hanging on the wall and I really liked it, and I decided that was the one I wanted. Before he completed the sale, he took me in the back and we proceeded to open every last box containing the Pono Koa Tenor model I wanted just to make sure that the wood, etc was the best one for me. They were very nice and not rushing me out the door at all, they were very helpful. I ended up buying the one that was on the wall in the first place. I would buy from them again. Best price I ever saw for the Pono also, but it was four years ago.

I also have a Grand Concert 700 series Kamoa, made in China. It was more expensive than the Pono, but I really prefer my Pono. It's not that the Kamoa is bad, it's just that the Pono is better. There appears to be a lot more attention to detail in the Pono, I think the QC for Kamoa could be better, especially at those prices. These are just my personal opinions and experiences, please play as many ukuleles as you can and choose what is best for you.

Have a great trip, I love Kauai and hope to go back soon.

sukie
01-08-2013, 10:45 AM
And make sure you hit up the Oasis on Wednesdays and Rob's Good Time Grill on Friday. A couple UUer's play shows there every week. :)

Jerry, Jerry, Jerry...

Name names, man. A couple of UUers? :-D

gyosh
01-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry...

Name names, man. A couple of UUers? :-D

I can't remember what they call themselves :)

. . . . the members are Aaron and Aldrine.

hawaii 50
01-08-2013, 10:49 AM

Good one Gary! ha ha

sukie
01-08-2013, 10:56 AM

There ya go. :-D

blue_knight_usa
01-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Fantastic thanks! I see my bank account dwindling!! Maybe a something special will be waiting for me in one of those places to add to my collection. Maybe I'll find a Mo Betta in the corner! (NOT!). LoL.

Cheers,
Jay

blue_knight_usa
01-08-2013, 11:42 AM
That's exactly what I am looking for. I really like supporting local builders which I have done here in N. California but am hoping to find something really special when I am there. I will have to ask around for sure. I'm going to visit all of them as I will be there for a week. Hoping to find some locals to play on the beach there and spread some Aloha.

Cheers!

Island Ukulele (http://www.ukuleledirect.com/index.php) in Kealia and please check the 808 Builders List (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?16211-808-Builders). You can also ask the locals if they know of anyone who builds. Hawaii has some very talented and skilled craftsman, and their wares can be found by way of just talkin story wit da locals.

blue_knight_usa
01-08-2013, 11:45 AM
On my list, fantastic! Thanks. I was hoping for a good uke venue there. My dad will be really excited as he has put me in charge of the uke entertainment. He's 71 and really loves hearing the uke. He'll probably have his harmonicas as he's a real jammin kind of guy but strictly blues. Trying to break him into some Hawaiian tunes.

Thanks for the tip, this is great info!

gyosh
01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
On my list, fantastic! Thanks. I was hoping for a good uke venue there. My dad will be really excited as he has put me in charge of the uke entertainment. He's 71 and really loves hearing the uke. He'll probably have his harmonicas as he's a real jammin kind of guy but strictly blues. Trying to break him into some Hawaiian tunes.

Thanks for the tip, this is great info!

My grandfather (90) still talks about Aldrine's playing. We were there this past July.

Have a great trip!

blue_knight_usa
01-08-2013, 11:50 AM
We are staying at the Marriott, which I heard was newly remodeled. We already have our car and reservations and air all set. I would love to meet some UU folks there...if anyone is reading this please PM me as I would love to get a jam together one evening to say hi to everyone. I would like some good restaurants. I heard the food was hit and miss a few years ago from my in-laws. I love seafood and is usually all I eat when I travel there and in Mexico. Prawns the size of your entire hand in Mexico..just got back from Mazatlan, my favorite city on the pacific coast of Mexico. Stay right on the beach and play my uke all week.

Where are you going to be staying on Kauai by the way ? Plenty of UU members know Kauai better than me, but I might have been the last to visit there, so I may (possibly) have more up-to-date info on some of the bars, restaurants etc...doubtful though.

There was a new sports bar called "The 9th Island" opened near Safeway down from Kapa'a. They closed at 6PM every night!!!!

I made a bet with a friend who lives on the island that they'd only last 3 months. I'd like to know if they're still open ;)

blue_knight_usa
01-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Interesting, I saw Raymond Rapozo and the video and was thinking maybe he would be one to contact but it sounds like maybe not. I'd be looking for something special and different. I just picked up a KoAloha Thin Body Tenor with LR Baggs pickup that is arriving in a few days which now gives me a KoAloha and Kanilea K1 Premium to my collection. Would love to find a locally built custom that's something different and special to add to my collection. I have a new custom being built by Rick Turner which is going to be completely different than anything built in the uke world today but I won't be showing that off until I get it in 3 months or so but it's going to be very cool and different. It's sort of the excitement of the hunt that I like although my wife is starting to get ticked, so I have to be VERY careful when I am there! She's afraid I'm spending my daughters college fund. I always tell her she can go to Junior College no problem. She didn't think that was funny....

They are nice Ukes, I played a couple. Scotty has one of those in the store from before Kamoa "bought" the company (or whatever the deal was) and rebranded them. That's the story, anyway. I still fancy one at some point.

Btw, don.t be tempted to buy one of the "Kauai Built" Island Ukes by Raymond Rapozo, they're overpriced junk. The couple that I tried felt as though someone had just hollowed out a piece of solid Koa, the finish was shite and they sounded deader than a dead thing...even taking into account the fact that the strings had probably been on a while.

Stay out of the Ukulele and Knitting shop at Hanalei as well. They guy there wouldn't recognise a decent instrument if you hit him in the face with one. He tried to sell me a junk Rapozo Uke for $ 1800.

blue_knight_usa
01-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Is Scotty on the Underground?

blue_knight_usa
01-08-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks. My first upgrade after my first uke was a Pono and it was a great uke. I think for the price they make very nice ukes and I have seen folks mentioned getting blemished ones by choice and saving a lot of money because of some minor cosmetic defect, which if you save 100 or 200 or more for that, it's a great deal for an upgrade it seems.

Can't wait to get to Kauai, I have been to Kona and Maui but never Kauai. I'm doing the helicopter tour and bringing all my camera gear for some photo shoots.

I bought my Pono at Scotty's and had a really good experience. I was playing the one hanging on the wall and I really liked it, and I decided that was the one I wanted. Before he completed the sale, he took me in the back and we proceeded to open every last box containing the Pono Koa Tenor model I wanted just to make sure that the wood, etc was the best one for me. They were very nice and not rushing me out the door at all, they were very helpful. I ended up buying the one that was on the wall in the first place. I would buy from them again. Best price I ever saw for the Pono also, but it was four years ago.

I also have a Grand Concert 700 series Kamoa, made in China. It was more expensive than the Pono, but I really prefer my Pono. It's not that the Kamoa is bad, it's just that the Pono is better. There appears to be a lot more attention to detail in the Pono, I think the QC for Kamoa could be better, especially at those prices. These are just my personal opinions and experiences, please play as many ukuleles as you can and choose what is best for you.

Have a great trip, I love Kauai and hope to go back soon.

Pueo
01-08-2013, 12:32 PM
OK, since you asked about restaurants...
There are three places I really like to eat in Kauai.
1. Keoki's Paradise in Poipu. This is the same restaurant chain as Duke's. Somehow it's better on Kauai. Frozen Mai Tais are amazing and sneaky. Lobster is worth it, opah if they have it is my favorite.

2. Mark's Place. This is a hole in the wall joint located in an industrial park in Puhi, near the Kukui Grove shopping center (where KMart is). The food here is AMAZING. Everything from local style plate lunch stuff to really nice fresh fish or whatever. You can get food to go and go eat back at your hotel or take to the beach. It is a gourmet meal in a styrofoam clamshell box. We dream of this place. Very hard to find, but worth it.

3. Malasada lady at KMart. Really really good, worth the drive I promise. Go in the morning.

4. Koloa Fish Market. Get plate lunch or poke.

There is other good food around, but do try to hit those places, you won't be sorry.

blue_knight_usa
01-08-2013, 12:44 PM
They are on Kauai??

blue_knight_usa
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks. I put it on the list. Malasada's will be the death of me. I can't stop eating them once I start!!!

Pueo
01-08-2013, 12:46 PM
They are on Kauai??
Yes, Kauai is the island they call home.

gyosh
01-08-2013, 12:56 PM
They are on Kauai??

Yup!!

Great guys to hang out with :)

gyosh
01-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks. I put it on the list. Malasada's will be the death of me. I can't stop eating them once I start!!!

Fish Express for plate lunch, poke and/or sashimi.

They're across the street from Walmart.

haole
01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
How is Kauai Music & Sound? Used to be Bounty Music's other store a few years ago when I bought my Kamaka, but last time I was on the island they had just changed ownership and didn't have any of their high-end stuff left. The people at Bounty were awesome.

Tried to go to Scotty's a few times but they were closed every single time. Odd. Heard mostly good things though.

Larry's in Kapa'a had a great selection from what I remember, and the one in Koloa was getting there too. When I visited they had just launched the first Kamoa ukes (the laminate soprano I bought from them was only $85 and sounded great, but had the ugly flat headstock), but they had a ton of other K-brands. I hope they haven't totally abandoned high-end ukes in favor of Kamoa, though. The new Kamoas are pretty good, but in my opinion only the E and E3 series are worth looking at. The fancier models have pretty wood and nice colors but the high prices aren't justified for production made-in-China instruments. Haven't played the Kauai-built models, but I'm curious as to who the builder is.

gyosh
01-08-2013, 02:27 PM

And I think these are better than Leonards!!

hawaii 50
01-09-2013, 08:01 AM
And I think these are better than Leonards!!

Hey Gyosh..

Leonard's Malasadas the best food in the World!

hawaii 50
01-09-2013, 08:03 AM
Fantastic thanks! I see my bank account dwindling!! Maybe a something special will be waiting for me in one of those places to add to my collection. Maybe I'll find a Mo Betta in the corner! (NOT!). LoL.

Cheers,
Jay

Hey Blue.. just get a flight to Maui and order a Devine already..you got the money.. Haha

gyosh
01-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Hey Gyosh..

Leonard's is great. That lady in front of K-Mart on Kauai?

BETTER!

hawaii 50
01-09-2013, 08:16 AM

BETTER!

Gary..
i have not been to Kauai in 20 years..now that i have time i go check out the Malasada lady..you know i been eating malasdas since i was small..when i go to Oahu..i go to the Leonard Jr. truck in Wikale(sorry bout spelling)

Pueo
01-09-2013, 08:21 AM
Hey Gyosh..

Leonard's are tasty, but the lady in the little shack in front of KMart on Kauai has the best malasadas I have ever tasted. And I have tasted many. I plan on hitting Agnes Portuguese Bake Shop in Kailua this weekend, I have heard good things, but so far she has the crown.

hawaii 50
01-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Leonard's are tasty, but the lady in the little shack in front of KMart on Kauai has the best malasadas I have ever tasted. And I have tasted many. I plan on hitting Agnes Portuguese Bake Shop in Kailua this weekend, I have heard good things, but so far she has the crown.

I say it one more time..

Malasadas the BEST food in the world..you might not live long but the Best! Lol
Champions Malasadas overrated..

Pueo
01-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Gary..
i have not been to Kauai in 20 years..now that i have time i go check out the Malasada lady..you know i been eating malasdas since i was small..when i go to Oahu..i go to the Leonard Jr. truck in Wikale(sorry bout spelling)
That truck in Waikele is on my way home from town. My wife and I stop there often. Too often. They are really good when a certain lady is working there, the perfect thin crust and a warm fluffy center.
But you know what? The ones in Kauai? They are better.

hawaii 50
01-09-2013, 08:31 AM
That truck in Waikele is on my way home from town. My wife and I stop there often. Too often. They are really good when a certain lady is working there, the perfect thin crust and a warm fluffy center.
But you know what? The ones in Kauai? They are better.

Hey thanks for the correct spelling..i been away too long..Haha did not notice you from Ewa Beach..i grew up in Wahiawa..going to move back soon..just retired..

wow we took this thread to another place..

when i go to Kauai i will check out that lady..

The Big Kahuna
01-09-2013, 09:30 AM
4 places I like to eat around Kapa'a:

Olympic Cafe...get a seat overlooking the street

Kauai Pasta...superb food

Tiki Taco...not particularly filling, but tastes awesome

Monico's Taqueria down at Kinopopo...brilliant Mexican food and a good selection of Mexican beers. One of the few places in America that I've found Sol (a common Mex' beer in England), just don't have a wedge of lime in it.

I should point out that we're both vegetarian, but all the food we've had in these places has been excellent.

hawaii 50
01-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Monico's Taqueria down at Kinopopo...brilliant Mexican food and a good selection of Mexican beers. One of the few places in America that I've found Sol (a common Mex' beer in England), just don't have a wedge of lime in it.

I should point out that we're both vegetarian, but all the food we've had in these places has been excellent.

If you guys can eat a Malasada it taste so good! try it

wickedwahine11
01-09-2013, 10:01 AM

BETTER!

Ditto to you both, she makes the best malasadas I have ever had, I like them much better than Leonard's. The only thing is, she is almost never open - so go early or go home empty handed.

I agree, Monico's makes the best Mexican food I have had in Hawaii. Their crispy carnitas are to die for!

If you like burgers, get the local boy at Duane's in Anahola.

And the must do for me is the frozen mai tai at Keoki's. It is the best drink on Earth. On the topic of rum, Koloa Rum Company does free tastings each hour at their Kilohana factory, super good and free!

hawaii 50
01-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Ditto to you both, she makes the best malasadas I have ever had, I like them much better than Leonard's. The only thing is, she is almost never open - so go early or go home empty handed.

I agree, Monico's makes the best Mexican food I have had in Hawaii. Their crispy carnitas are to die for!

If you like burgers, get the local boy at Duane's in Anahola.

And the must do for me is the frozen mai tai at Keoki's. It is the best drink on Earth. On the topic of rum, Koloa Rum Company does free tastings each hour at their Kilohana factory, super good and free!

Hey Wicked..

have you been to Chole's(not sure on spelling) in Haleiwa//they make the real stuff there..my fav shreaded beef deep fried tacos.. um um good!

blue_knight_usa
01-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Hehe....I wish! He's on my bucket list though as well as Chuck. Maybe I can do one on lay away ;-)

Cheers!

Hey Blue.. just get a flight to Maui and order a Devine already..you got the money.. Haha