Odd question about sizes

NatalieS

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I've been away from the forum for a while because life got really busy, but I'm back with a question. :)

I know several companies make "long-neck" and "super" versions of ukes, but does the opposite ever happen? In particular, I'm looking for a concert or tenor body with a soprano neck. The soprano fretboard is the only one that's comfortable on my tiny hands. And don't get me wrong, I love my one uke (a Lanikai soprano) but sometimes I wish for a bigger sound so I'd like to find one of these unique ukes if I can. Do they even exist?

I don't think any manufacturers make them regularly, but it's probably been done. You'd probably have to talk to a luthier to see what your options are for a custom instrument, and whether or not it's worth building.

Are you sure you can't handle a concert neck? :eek:

I think what you're looking for is called a "tenor" uke.... :music:

The Ohana Vita model, while unconventional in shape, is essentially a concert sized body with a soprano scale. A pretty good instrument for the price. Loud and bright with Aquila strings

I don't think any manufacturers make them regularly, but it's probably been done. You'd probably have to talk to a luthier to see what your options are for a custom instrument, and whether or not it's worth building.

Are you sure you can't handle a concert neck? :eek:

My hands are reeeeally small. I've played another person's concert before but it was pretty uncomfortable, and I bought a tenor which I then sold because it was downright painful even after trying to stretch my fingers for several weeks. I hate having the attitude of "I can't" but even some chords on the soprano fretboard are a big stretch for me.

The Ohana Vita model, while unconventional in shape, is essentially a concert sized body with a soprano scale. A pretty good instrument for the price. Loud and bright with Aquila strings

I'll look that one up-- thanks!

i second this. i have an ohana vita although i don't consider it terribly loud. if you're looking for volume in a small package, maybe try a resonator uke.

i second this. i have an ohana vita although i don't consider it terribly loud. if you're looking for volume in a small package, maybe try a resonator uke.

Hmm... ok. I've watched some videos of both on YouTube. I like the Vita but I have to say, I prefer the look of a traditional uke.

Mele makes a uke that they call "Jumbo" standard size. Here's an example.

It doesn't look like the body is quite concert sized, more like a dreadnaught soprano. It might be what you're looking for.

I haven't really tried any Meles. A guy from another forum who have owned many exotic ukes (Compass Rose, KoAloha Sceptre, Pohaku, Kepasa, etc.) consider his Mele one of the best sounding and playing ukes, but warns that they are prone to cracks.

LOL! Okay thanks guys. :) Kind of a bummer to know that most companies don't make what I'm looking for, but I'll keep my eyes open. And maybe I can bring myself to convert to a concert neck.

Yeah I would either go with the vita uke, or just try out a concert. Just buy a mahalo concert (like 20 bucks if that) and just try it out for a month or two. after that initial month if its that uncomfortable, try out the vita. it is a very good uke.

Also, if you have a pickup on your soprano, you could plug it into an amp and maybe mess around with the settings to try and make it sound deeper. I basically said that cuz I want to see if it would actually work lol!

either way, keep strummin.

I just might have the simplest solution for you Natalie. First, get a little capo, like a mandolin capo. Then tune a concert or tenor uke down two or three frets. Then use the capo to bring it back up to what you're used to.

For example: I have a tenor tuned EAC#F#, that three semitones (notes, frets, half-steps) lower than GCEA. By placing the capo on the third fret, it becomes a concert-scale neck tuned GCEA. With the capo on the Fifth fret, it's a soprano tuned ADF#B. And it maintains the tenor body and sound.

You might need a change of strings for this method, but I think it's worth a shot.

that would work but her problem is that her hands are to small. Best bet would be to ask a luthiur. it wouldnt hurt email a few companies.

NatalieS, small hand issue with the scale length or overall dimensions or both of the neck?
Small hands (sz7 glove) with left thumb ligament damage & wrist injury. The thickness of the neck is my problem. Too thick results in discomfort & pain. 4-5 fret comfortable reach unless the neck is a fat one. Have you tried a concert scale uke with less of neck radius?

NatalieS, small hand issue with the scale length or overall dimensions or both of the neck?
Small hands (sz7 glove) with left thumb ligament damage & wrist injury. The thickness of the neck is my problem. Too thick results in discomfort & pain. 4-5 fret comfortable reach unless the neck is a fat one. Have you tried a concert scale uke with less of neck radius?

Hmm, good question there. I think my problem is a combination of both but mostly the scale length. I can go across 3 frets ok. The neck thickness could definitely be an issue, for instance a Flea is pushing the comfort level for me.

I wonder if I could get the nice people at FleaMarketMusic to put a soprano neck on a Fluke body? I've always liked the more open sound of the Fluke compared to the Flea, and maybe I could train my hands to just tough it out?

Will do!

I'm planning on contacting them soon...

Well I heard back from Dale Webb, a designer at FMM. He said that my request is the first he's had :uhoh: and that conceivably it could be done, but it would take a lot of work which would entail even moving the bridge, so they'd have to really investigate how to do it.

Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. Stupid me, I thought maybe they could just plop a soprano neck on the Fluke and call it a day but it really involves more than that. He's going to share a bit more with me on the differences between a soprano and concert neck, but I may just get a concert Fluke anyway. :)

Top Bottom