martin uke sound

larson1951

Reaction score
i have about eight 1920's martin soprano ukes
i really like the feel, extremely light weight and sound of the early style 0 with the violin style pegs
it seems to me that this style puts out a better more clear sound
do you think the pegs were used as a matter of cost?

anyone out there have an opinion on this?

Last edited:
Are you asking about Martin ukes or violins with metal pegs?

Are you asking about Martin ukes or violins with metal pegs?

hi and thanks
i was just making a comment as to why i thought the violin style pegs on the old martin ukes is a big plus for the sound
i was not really asking about violins
i only was meaning to ask what always thought was a reason for the wood pegs
i guess that made it confusing
maybe i should edit that out
thanks again Mandarb
steve

I think the only way to really prove or disprove your tonal theory would be to choose one uke, record it with the violin pegs, then switch to mechanical friction pegs and re-record using the same set of strings and recording conditions.

I believe that Martin originally used violin pegs because they were the standard at the time and were readily available and cheap (they may even have made them but I'm not sure about that. As the mechanical tuners became more available and generally accepted as a superior product, Martin went with those.

Scooter

I think it's a function of the fact that mechanical tuners had not been invented yet (my guess--is this true?) I can't imagine the pegs influencing sound quality.

I think the only way to really prove or disprove your tonal theory would be to choose one uke, record it with the violin pegs, then switch to mechanical friction pegs and re-record using the same set of strings and recording conditions.

I believe that Martin originally used violin pegs because they were the standard at the time and were readily available and cheap (they may even have made them but I'm not sure about that. As the mechanical tuners became more available and generally accepted as a superior product, Martin went with those.

Scooter

I think it's a function of the fact that mechanical tuners had not been invented yet (my guess--is this true?) I can't imagine the pegs influencing sound quality.

i do thank you both for the reply
i must say as a newbie on the UU that i appreciate the polite and informative replys.......and hope for more conversation

steve

Of all the parts of a uke, I think tuners have the least influence on its sound.
I'd rank it with the neck strap.

Of all the parts of a uke, I think tuners have the least influence on its sound.
I'd rank it with the neck strap.
Mr. December is right.

The most influence in sound is actually not part of the uke: it's the fingers.
I'd rank my fingers equal to the neck strap, too. Although necessary, they are clumsy and often get in my way.

You might say they are easier to play because of the very light headstock, which improves the sound by improving what your fingers do. Your fretting hand has to spend less energy steadying and supporting the neck.

On the other hand those low bar frets are tricky to play without buzzes, but they are great for intonation, as it's very hard to bend a string significantly out of tune by pressing down too hard.

i have about eight 1920's martin soprano ukes
i really like the feel, extremely light weight and sound of the early style 0 with the violin style pegs
it seems to me that this style puts out a better more clear sound
do you think the pegs were used as a matter of cost?

anyone out there have an opinion on this?
with those 8 ukes, which one is ur favorite and why?

With

You might say they are easier to play because of the very light headstock, which improves the sound by improving what your fingers do. Your fretting hand has to spend less energy steadying and supporting the neck.

On the other hand those low bar frets are tricky to play without buzzes, but they are great for intonation, as it's very hard to bend a string significantly out of tune by pressing down too hard.

thanks peewee what you say is what i was thinking
when i first started this thread i mentioned something about a violin with metal pegs but i edited it out as it seemed sightly confusing but i meant the same thing.....it would affect the balance and ease of holding the neck in a negative way
anyway i think the weight thing has an advantage
thank you for your thoughts
steve

ratnuecrafty

with those 8 ukes, which one is ur favorite and why?

With

i like the style 0 best with a style 3K and a style 3M
running a close second
i really like the style 3K for its crispness
i have an image here of the style 3M and today i will post a picture of some more of the lineup100_0103.jpg100_0094.jpg

this style 3K was played for many years on WCCO radio in
minneapolis by Bill Cervine....it has been played an awful lot

i don't know why this other guitar attachment ended up on this post...but it is a mistake and i apologize

Attachments

• PA020035.jpg
    PA020035.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
some more but not all
i have two more 20's model 0's with wood pegs which i will post as soon as i get the two original pegs i need so i can string it upIMG_1424.jpg

these are from left to right
1 newer S-1
2 20's style 0 light as a feather great sound-best
3 20's style 0 light as a feather great sound-best
4 20's style 1M
5 20's style 2M
6 20's style 3M very nice to play good sound but not as crisp and loud as the 3K
7 20's style 3K very nice crisp sound super loud
funny the simplest and cheapest seam to be the best

Last edited:
here are the other two style 0's....they are also both good ones
the one on the left is named "Omar" (which is scratched into the headstock) it was buffed to a gloss finish when i bought it...i don't know why
the one on the right is the one i just bought last month on ebay, it had one white plastic peg and one poorly carved wood peg
i found two violin pegs for the 1rst and 2nd strings and was able to string it up but they were wrong
i am glad to have joined this forum and right away received a help from a member
the last two images are of a 1920's Rutan which is a copy of a Martin style 1....and a very well made and sounding/playing ukulele.....have a lookIMG_3318.jpgIMG_3319.jpgIMG_3320.jpg

note: the Rutan is on loan from a good friend Bob.......nicknamed "Bobulele"

Last edited:
Top Bottom