You Tube - diabled for monetization

garyg

Reaction score
Greetings ukesters, I had a strange thing happen yesterday, one of my songs was disabled for monetization on YouTube after six months or so. The message says that the content or metadata may not be friendly for advertisers. The song is the traditional version of Shady Grove and it was filmed in my house with no trademarks showing. The message takes you to the community guidelines page which tells you that you can't post p***, copyrighted works, etc. and there seems to be no way to protest this decision. My standing on youtube is good (no strikes, etc.). Anyone have any ideas on how I can deal with this? TIA, g2

Was it the one from Feb 8, 2012? If so, it's up now.
Thanks, they didn't take it down, just disabled it for ads because of "advertiser unfriendliness" which seems very strange

Thanks, they didn't take it down, just disabled it for ads because of "advertiser unfriendliness" which seems very strange

It works now, I'm watching it. Nice job BTW!

Scooter

Strange that YT disabled ads for it...... maybe someone accidentally 'flagged' it for some reason - users can click the little flag beneath the playback window to report various violations of YT guidelines.... someone may have done it by mistake or just to be a jerk? Who knows.....

Bill, do you know if or how I can get it unflagged? Also if it were flagged wouldn't I have a strike? The video didn't get taken down it was just disabled for ads so I can't make any money of clicks. I suppose that's a pipe dream anyway <g>. TIA, g2

Last edited:

I see.
Perhaps they just don't think they can get ad revenue from old timey songs. Try changing the name to "Shady Gangnam Grove". :)

Good news, I hate commercials.

Haha, these are just the "you can skip in five seconds" kind but how am I going to buy a Mainland uke without $$ <g>. Really, monetization was just kind of an experiment.

If you consider that garyg actually gets a share of that I would not mind a commercial here and there for users like him. Although I am sure most of the money made by ads will go to others sources (youtube/google), at least its a little bit for the users instead of nothing.

And remember YouTube is a free site, you don't pay anything to post or watch videos.

If you consider that garyg actually gets a share of that I would not mind a commercial here and there for users like him. Although I am sure most of the money made by ads will go to others sources (youtube/google), at least its a little bit for the users instead of nothing.

Really?, they advertise next to my videos and I've never seen a dime.

Bill, do you know if or how I can get it unflagged? Also if it were flagged wouldn't I have a strike? The video didn't get taken down it was just disabled for ads so I can't make any money of clicks. I suppose that's a pipe dream anyway <g>. TIA, g2

I'm not sure, Gary - I've never done the monetization thing either..... I'm with Mike - I hate commercials.;)

I'm not sure if the flagging thing is what did it or if it was even flagged at all - just the first thing that popped into my head since I've accidentally clicked that flag before myself..... seems like they would have notified you in some way if it was 'offensive' enough to remove the ads.... So much of the inner workings of YT seem to be automated (copyright infringement notices, etc.) that something in your video, the comments, or the video description might have triggered some knee-jerk reaction from the auto-censors......

Who knows? Try googling it - YT has a fairly active forum where a lot of questions get answered - I've been directed there by Google a couple of times, directly to the answer I was looking for.....

Thanks Kem!, I posted on that thread, no one at present seems to know how to penetrate the seamless fortress of YouTube about it though. cheers, g2

If you use an AdBlock plugin for whatever your browser of choice.. you won't see those stupid YouTube ads. Very small violin for wanting to spam your viewers.

If you want adds to work you have to give them something the public wants. I'm not sure what the policy is in deciding that your video is no longer suitable for adds. I suspect it may have something to do with how many hits its receiving and how many people are watching or clicking on adds. YouTube charges advertisers for showing adverts so they have to give value to the advertisers.

Anyway make sure you put in plenty of tags. Don't put in tags that you cant back. Keep it real but put them in there. You're not going to be found on any search if there's no text there to search.

If your playing covers then the copyright holder or an agent will claim the right to put adverts on your video and they will be the ones making any potential revenue.

Anthony

Top Bottom