Lila Burns - my favorite ukulele singer/songwriter

23skidoo

Reaction score
I've mentioned this young lady's playing a few times lately on the board, but I've been enjoying it so much lately, I feel like she deserves her own thread.

I discovered her YouTube channel last year and worked my way through all of her videos in short order. It's pretty amazing to watch her develop as a songwriter and a player over a relatively short time, though her earliest efforts are still impressive. She is not a technical ukulele player in any way. Her songs are deceptively simple and rough around the edges, but her playing has a homemade immediacy that is compelling and completely charming.

The thing that makes these recordings stand out for me is her voice - not just her quirky and unique vocals, but the beautiful, dreamy, thought-provoking, and incredibly well-written words that make these songs so wonderful. Her harmonies are distinctive and intuitive and suit the tone of her songs perfectly.

I know this style of music is not for everyone, but I can't stop listening to it. I like the lo-fi, unpolished feel of the recordings. It's not very ofen that I pay any attention to the lyrics of a song - I think it's a rare thing for someone to create music with such meaning and appeal. If you haven't heard Lila Burns before, take a moment to give her a listen - she is an uncommon talent.

She recently released an album on Bandcamp. You can find it here. There's not a bad song on it.

Her You Tube channel is here.

Just so you know - I don't know Ms. Burns and I've never had any contact with her - she lives about as far away from me as possible within the continental United States.... just want everyone to have the chance to enjoy her music as much as I do.

This is one of my favorites - lyrics are in the video description. Be sure to listen to the end for the bridge and beautiful final verse:

Last edited:
I had stumbled across some of her vids a year ago. Her lyrics are incredible and I really like her voice. She also has a graphic design website and is incredibly talented. I didn't know about her album and can't wait to check it out... thanks.

Youtube has changed everything so often I can't find figure out how to subscribe.

D'ya figure it out Mike? I don't know why they can't leave well enough alone..... On my screen, it's by the avatar and channel name at the top of the frame....

Josh - I figured she'd have some fans on the board that would chime in..... great stuff, no?

Not for everyone? This music is precisely FOR everyone. Immediately accessible and without pretense- perfect. She is fantastic, though I am quite certain she takes a lot of cues from Kimya Dawson (check that if you have not heard it)...which is not a bad thing (and may be the other way around) Thanks for the turn on mate...off to browse and enjoy.
While we are at it, and of course knowing you are like minded, may I introduce to a lo-fi favorite who, while unrelated and decidedly non-uke might float your boat?
Bill-Chris, Chris-Bill. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT1vtT61-K4
Venice Beach street performer. Lo-Fi magic.

she's amazing Bill, thanks for letting us know. subscribed with bells on.

Wow. Wonderful. Subscribed. I'd love to hear some of this recorded in a proper studio. Hope she continues to share her music as time goes on.

Wow. Wonderful. Subscribed. I'd love to hear some of this recorded in a proper studio. Hope she continues to share her music as time goes on.

She sells some of her songs on Bandcamp, I think they're (home)studio-recorded if I remember well

I kind of like the homemade feel to the recordings..... I know what you mean about a bit more polish, but I think they would lose some of their charm if they were too well recorded, if you know what I mean.....

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I stumbled on her youtube channel a while ago and haven't looked back.

And if anyone can figure out the chords to Driven, I will be your best friend forever!
I want to play that song and I just can't figure out the chords through all of the layers.

Top Bottom