Best strings on Makala Dolphin

Linho

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm curious what kind of strings are the best one for a Makala Dolphin.
What's your opinion?

Cheers,
Linho

Hi there,

I'm curious what kind of strings are the best one for a Makala Dolphin.
What's your opinion?

Cheers,
Linho

The most common answer for this often asked question is "Aquilla" strings.

I'm probably the only one who feels this way, but I really liked Ko'olau Golds on my Dolphin. I have Aquilas on now and I like them better than I did the first time I had them, so as my playing has improved I may get different results from the strings. I plan to try the Golds again and see if I still like them... or if I was simply entranced by the pretty yellow strings on my pretty blue Dolphin. Also I plan to try Living Water strings.

I did NOT like the Ko'olau Alohis on my Dolphin. Not at all. They are probably nice for a different 'uke.

There have been a few threads on exactly this topic (I know because I started one of them) so you might want to dig around a little. You are likely to find at least one opinion on every type of string on the Makala Dolphin! Especially from those of us with String Aquisition Syndrome. Have fun!

Try the Aurora Silkgut strings... I feel like they're the bestest for the Dolphin! They come from the same family as Aquilas but has a very noticeable difference.

You can hear my recordings on my YT if you like (just ignore the singing part)... everyone that has touched my dolphin says it sounds amazing compared to other dolphins! You don't have to get the multi-colored ones as they come in different colors.

~Mina :eek:

I have Living Water strings on my dolphin and they sound good to me.

I've only ever use Aquila strings and have been pleased. But experiment, and if you find others you like, please enter your results on the string data base site (link in my sig file.)

Top Bottom