Need Banjo Uke advice

lakesideglenn

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a banjo uke, can't seem to find a decent vintage one, and was wondering how Gold Tone vs. Lanikai vs. Luna compare. They seem to be the only three new ones out there. Looking to spend around 300 but could go more if need be.
Thoughts...comments...suggestions?
Thanks!
Glenn

Kala is releasing a line for NAMM.

I think Goldtone is the top banjo uke maker for the price range you are talking about, I would put Lanikai second.
also there is the Fluke banjo uke, and Eddy Finn. I have found that most of the 6" ones are made the same with a couple choices made in head and hardware that make a difference.
Here is a link to my banjo uke articles
http://ukeeku.com/category/size/banjo-size/

I very much like my Goldtone banjo uke (no resonator), which I got preowned for just under 300.

I've been trying to decide for ages whether I like the Firefly enough to get one at its pricepoint. The answer... not yet. It is so light weight though! But I am not a fan of the flea/fluke/firefly neck. So I am still undecided.

I love the look of the Lunas but wasn't super impressed with the feel and sound of them at TBUG. However I didn't spend a lot of time playing with them, so I wouldn't rate that as a super-educated opinion on them.

And I haven't seen the Lanikai ones.

Thanks guys, I was thinking of the Goldtone open back. Good reviews all around. Does Mainland make one?

I have both a Mainland and a Goldtone (I just bought my sister's as she wants an 8 string Lanikai & I was only too pleased to help her out!)

I bought my Mainland 18 months ago & was SO happy with it, that when I formed a uke group in my home town - half the members wanted one, so I brought in 12 from Mike at Mainland for the group, family & friends!! :) Mainland used to do Banjo ukes, but they had problems with their suppliers so only sell 'parts' now.

If you find a Mainland for sale, grab it - as it is a very playable and affordable instrument that is not heavy. THey don't come on the market very often tho! It has less metal 'clips' than the Goldtone & others, which makes them much lighter. With less 'clips', they are also very much more comfortable to play, as the 'clips' are not sticking in your arm or body as you play.

The Goldtone Concert is much heavier as it has twice as many 'clips' but I find that the action is much lower & easier for me to do Barr chords (I have arthritis & find it difficult to press hard enough with the thumb to get clean chords.) I am trying to pickup the Formby style of playing & am finding it easier on the Goldtone than the Mainland, which has slightly higher action (I am guessing that this COULD be lowered a bit, but I haven't tried at this point.)

If you can't find a Ukulele Shop with lots of Banjo Ukes in it to actually try out yourself, I would suggest that you join a uke group who's members have banjo ukuleles & 'try' as many different brands as you can!

Maybe put a post up here to see if there are any Banjo Uke players anywhere near your town that you can catch up with?

DON'T buy any that you haven't tried - and definitely don't buy a Rally BU from ebay unless you can actually play it first ....... a friend in my group here bought one with the big resonator back & has had major setting up issues with it - he has never brought it to our group since and it rarely sees the light of day!

There are some terrific vintage ones out there - a British guy called Jasperhappy puts up videos of the vintage banjo ukes that he sells on ebay, which helps buyers make a decision.

Vids of his antique banjo ukes that he restores & sells on ebay
https://www.youtube.com/user/jasperhappy

Here is his advice on buying banjo ukes

Fellow member Jnobianchi is a terrific banjo uke player & has heaps of vintage banjo ukes - I am sure he would assist you in your search for a good banjo uke!

Good luck in your hunt

Roberta

Last edited:
Hi Glenn

Check your Private Messages.

–Lori

I can not speak for the Lanikai or Luna but I have had Gold Tone and Oscar Schmidt.

I can tell you that I am sold enough on the Gold Tone that I bought another and believe that it would be hard to beat.

Do you prefer a soprano or a concert size? Do you want open back raised plate back or full reflector back? An open on the edges backing which looks like a flat or arched plate is easy to put onto an open back. It noticeably changes the sound.

The Eddy Finn ukuleles banjo is so similar to Gold Tone, they probably are made in the same plant in China. There is a price differential. E/F costs less and also has a ten year written warranty.

If you want a classic soprano, I would sell my Shireson Hollywood soprano with an attached rounded back . The sound hole is in the middle of the back. Pics are available.

I've never heard of Shireson and can only find one reference on the web but I might be interested. Got pics and a sound sample? Vintage is always cool but I'm not looking for anything that needs a lot of work. Playability is my #1 priority. I will PM you my email address.

as a life long banjo player might i sugest the Deering banjo ukulele , i think they still make one even in there Good time banjos , I own a vintage fender and Gibson banjo and yet my deering good time open back with no resonator is my favored one

Last edited:
as a life long banjo player might i sugest the Deering banjo ukulele , i think they still make one even in there Good time banjos , I own a vintage fender and Gibson banjo and yet my deering good time open back with no resonator is my favored one

I agree that Deering is amongst the top banjo makers in the world-- my main 5-string is a Deering Maple Blossom and is truly a fine instrument. That being said, I am unaware of Deering offering a banjo ukulele. I sure wish they did, because I think they would make one of the best banjo ukes around.

I also agree with those who have recommended the Gold Tone. Not only do I think they make good banjo ukes, I'm generally impressed with the Gold Tone company overall. They seem to focus on unusual instruments that aren't commonly available, and their price to quality ratio is very high. And while they are imported, final QC is done here in the US. That means that defective instruments are culled before they ever go to a dealer.

I agree that Deering is amongst the top banjo makers in the world-- my main 5-string is a Deering Maple Blossom and is truly a fine instrument. That being said, I am unaware of Deering offering a banjo ukulele. I sure wish they did, because I think they would make one of the best banjo ukes around.

I also agree with those who have recommended the Gold Tone. Not only do I think they make good banjo ukes, I'm generally impressed with the Gold Tone company overall. They seem to focus on unusual instruments that aren't commonly available, and their price to quality ratio is very high. And while they are imported, final QC is done here in the US. That means that defective instruments are culled before they ever go to a dealer.

Deering stated they planned on introducing a Goodtime Banjo Uke. I have been urging them for a while to do so. May quickly become the "gold standard" (if you don't consider the Beansprout) if they do and can compete, price wise with Goldtone. They do have a 17 fret tenor that can be tuned as a banjo uke. I have a Rally. It seems that most of the new banjo ukes out there are based on the Goldtone design....Rally, Eddie Finn, etc. etc. I had my Rally upgraded at Goldtone...added a calfskin head and a no knot tailpeice, proper setup and wow. Sounds like a "high end" banjo uke.

Top Bottom