Frustrated by Mahana strings

aquadan

Reaction score
I had my Pono MT strung with Ko'olau Mahana Low G strings and am trying to decide if I just don't like them or if I'm playing them wrong.

They sound very nice when strummed, but when playing individual strings it sounds like I'm playing 2 different instruments and it's quite jarring.

I'm wondering if I should be doing something different in how I pluck them, or if they are really just better for strumming and I should change to something different. I've briefly played a uke with the Aquila low G wound 3/4 strings and they seemed much more balanced, so I'm thinking it's the strings.

I have some Living Waters strings on the way, so this may all be moot once they get here.

Yes, many folks (including me) find Pono mahogany ukes sound better with some fluorocarbon strings (like Living Waters, Martins or Worths).

Try the Living Waters when you get them.

If you post a sound sample maybe we could hear what you are trying to describe. Sound is so subjective, but yes, trying different strings may help. I personally like Ko'olau strings in general, especially the golds, which are a bit brighter than the Mahana's.

I had a uke strung low g and didn't like the picking either, just seemed out of balance especially as you go up the neck. Strumming was nice, again, untill you go up the neck but we all prefer different things.

Sounds like your living water strings should resolve this. I like living waters and PhDs.

I am a string junkie(SAS)..strings do make a big difference in the sound of your uke..

good luck finding the right set that you like..i have almost every set out there.. Lol

"two different instruments" Hmmm, sounds like perhaps the string(s) aren't even from one end to the other. That can be a manufacturing issue or it can be from too aggressively trying pre-stretch the strings which can cause part of a string to thin out more than the other part(s).

Ukes are incredibly sensitive to strings; it takes quite a bit of experimentation to find just the right set for a particular instrument.

As mentioned before....string preference..... what type of sound you prefer and playability...also tuning you use can compensate some...
Ko'o lau mahana to me like their budget strings, then second to me is the golds, but I like the Alohi for the sweet sound the have...thicker strings good for picking ...
if you prefer thinner strings, I'd go with the martin strings...good Luck...
I agree with rick...you have to listen to your uke, and listen to the voice of it
if it is bright or warm and what you want to compensate for it...there is no
overall string..you need to find the best string for your uke and style...
make sure you have a good set up is key too...good luck

Last edited:
My Pono came with Golds, and I used those exclusively until they were no longer available. They were discontinued briefly, but now they are back.
Anyway, I really liked the sound and feel of the OLD Golds (I have not tried the new ones) but they did not last very long so I started trying different strings. I tried D'Addario Pro Arte, Mahanas, Alohis, Hilo, and Aquila strings - but it was not until I put Worth Clears that I was happy again.
Good luck, hope you find the sound you are looking for. I might have to try the PhD and Living Water strings sometime...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Ive been experimenting tonight, and found that if I'm a bit more aggressive on the non-wound strings that it sounds more balanced. The problem I had been having was feeling like the 1+2 strings were on a uke and the wound ones were on a guitar, the sounds just didn't go together well when practicing picking. Great for strumming though.

Although it's better now, I'm still not quite satisfied so am looking forward to the living waters getting here. I suspect that i'll end up trying a variety of strings, that seems like half the fun.

Top Bottom