Kamaka + Worth Clears = LOVE

Steedy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
About a year ago I purchased a Kamaka HF-2L (longneck concert) uke from HMS, and had it shipped with the factory Kamaka strings just to see if I might like them.

Well, I did not like them. The Kamaka strings were so hard they hurt my fingertips to play, and they sounded dull and lifeless to me, so I was a bit disappointed with my new Kamaka ukulele, and hardly played it at all in 2012.

I had some free time over the holidays and finally replaced the Kamaka strings with some Worth Clear Mediums, and WOW, I'm amazed at how much better my Kamaka sounds. The difference is freaking fantastic!

I can't get over how much louder the uke is now, and what a bright, clear, ringing sound those Worth strings produce. Now I can't get enough playing time on the Kamaka and I have got to learn some campanella style uke music! (I've already bought John King's book and his Bach CD.)

In addition to my chronic UAS, I think my first set of Worths might trigger a bad case of SAS (Strings Acquisition Syndrome). :)

Last edited:
About a year ago I purchased a Kamaka HF-2L (longneck concert) uke from HMS, and had it shipped with the factory Kamaka strings just to see if I might like them.

Well, I did not like them. The Kamaka strings were so hard they hurt my fingertips to play, and they sounded dull and lifeless to me, so I was a bit disappointed with my new Kamaka ukulele, and hardly played it at all in 2012.

I had some free time over the holidays and finally replaced the Kamaka strings with some Worth Clear Mediums, and WOW, I'm amazed at how much better my Kamaka sounds. The difference is freaking fantastic!

I can't get over how much louder the uke is now, and what a bright, clear, ringing sound those Worth strings produce. Now I can't get enough playing time on the Kamaka and I have got to learn some campanella style uke music! (I've already bought John King's book and his Bach CD.)

In addition to my chronic UAS, I think my first set of Worths might trigger a bad case of SAS (Strings Acquisition Syndrome). :)

Slap a set of PhD's on your Kamaka and your SAS will be cured before it gets out of control :)

+1 PhD I especially love low G on my longneck concert (tenor scale fretboard though).
other alternative to try out: Living water, southcoast will help your SAS further. haha!

Thanks for the recommendations. I had a Kamaka concert that I love more for sentimental reasons that sound reasons. Perhaps it's time to swap some strings and see if I can fall in love again!

I have Kamaka Tenor and Soprano and I am happy with the Kamaka strings on them. I describe the sound as "full". I do have a set of southcoast strings on a Kamaka HF-38 8 string tenor.
I put a set of worth clears on my Regal Resonator.

Slap a set of PhD's on your Kamaka and your SAS will be cured before it gets out of control :)

a google search for PhD strings turns up a lot of talk about Doctorates in string theory... where can you check out the PhD ukulele strings?

Try the living water tenor strings on it - you won't be disappointed. I got the same uke in October and have tried kamaka, worth, Aquila and living water strings. Living water sounded best (in my opinion) by far!

I also own a Kamaka HF2L. I tried a set of Fremont strngs on it and thought they sounded good. After about a month of playing on the Fermonts,I changed them out to Worth strings. The Fremont strings were nice, but the Worth strings have a clarity and ring that to my ear sounds better than the Fremonts. I use Worth strings on all my ukes. The Collings ukes seem to respond and sound better with the clear Worth strings.

Last edited:
PhD, Living Water, Southcoast, Fremont... keep 'em coming, I can't wait to try them all! :cool:

Whereas I agree with you that the Worth Clears sound a zilion times better on a Kamaka than the stock Kamaka strings, I feel that the Southcoast strings sound even better. That said, I felt the Worth Clears were better than the Southcoast on a Collings.

The stock Kamaka strings don't do their ukes any favors at all. I really like Worths on mine, though. The other fluorocarbons out there are very similar to Worths and so I wouldn't be surprised if they're all great.

The only non-fluorocarbon strings I really like are Ko'olau 'Alohis. They sound and look awesome.

PhD, Living Water, Southcoast, Fremont... keep 'em coming, I can't wait to try them all! :cool:

I have seriously tried them all . . . and that's why I recommend the PhD's. If you like wound strings, which I prefer for the balance, then try Southcoast linear G650's.

The Living Water are nice too, but there's something about the PhD's that put them above the LW's IMO.

I have seriously tried them all . . . and that's why I recommend the PhD's. If you like wound strings, which I prefer for the balance, then try Southcoast linear G650's.

The Living Water are nice too, but there's something about the PhD's that put them above the LW's IMO.

Thanks, I'll definitely give them a try.

a google search for PhD strings turns up a lot of talk about Doctorates in string theory... where can you check out the PhD ukulele strings?

If you want to order PHD's... go to

www.danielhocreations.com

i might be crazy but i like the Kamaka LowG strings on my HF3S..i think it gives it a nice Hawaiian sound..but to be honest i have only played it for 2 weeks..left at Mom's house on Oahu..be going back at the end of Jan..
maybe when i keep playing it,i might want to change..

thinking about some TN's from ukulele PUAPUA diadarrio T2's with a Flatwound cooper LowG

Last edited:
If you want to order PHD's... go to

www.danielhocreations.com

i might be crazy but i like the Kamaka LowG strings on my HF3S..i think it gives it a nice Hawaiian sound..but to be honest i have only played it for 2 weeks..left at Mom's house on Oahu..be going back at the end of Jan..
maybe when i keep playing it,i might want to change..

thinking about some TN's from ukulele PUAPUA diadarrio T2's with a Flatwound cooper LowG

I like the Kamaka strings too. They're just D'Addario strings :) Nice warm sound with them.

Haven't played a Southcoast string set yet that I've liked though. But each uke is different, and will sound different with different strings :)

For your longneck kamaka I would suggest to try southcoast medium gauge , or LWS low-G tenor set. Or even just pick the low g of PhD tenor string up.

Low G on a longneck concert has some magic moments, at least on my kamaka longneck concert.
Let us know what you find out later:)

Top Bottom