Fluke/Flea Set up?

micahlele

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a Fluke or a Flea, and wondered if these ukes need the attention given to other ukes by dealers offering a set up with purchase. I'm inclined to purchase from one of the reputable dealers frequently discussed here, but with the wide range of colors and patterns of the Fluke/Flea family, I may not be able to find my desired model in stock with one of them. So, my question is really whether there's any set up at all done to these (the models with the plastic fretboard, not the optional wood fretboard)?

My understanding is that they came pretty well set up.

What Mandarb said. They are already fine. No need to worry about set up on them.

I have a Flea and it came set up better than some slightly more expensive ukes that I have. I wish all ukes came as well set up as my flea.

The secret of the Flea w/ plastic (don't know about the wooden ones) fretboard is the integrated zero fret - no need to worry about nut action. It will definitely not need a setup and can be played out of the box (just the strings need the usual time to settle)

The secret of the Flea w/ plastic (don't know about the wooden ones) fretboard is the integrated zero fret - no need to worry about nut action. It will definitely not need a setup and can be played out of the box (just the strings need the usual time to settle)

The hard wood fingerboard includes a zero fret.

Flukes and Fleas are some of the most consistent ukes out there and rarely need any extra attention. Mine came set up fine right from the factory and four years later there are still no issues. I'd normally recommend buying from a dealer that does set-ups, but with these you can order the exact uke you want directly from the factory and chances are it'll be fine!

The people that build the Fleas and Flukes do a really great job. I bought a Flea with a plastic fretboard and a Fluke with a custom walnut fretboard and both were set up really well and didn't need any adjustment straight from Flea Market Music.

Nix

Well that was quick! I was planning on looking for the Tiki King Surf or Cocktail, or the UNICEF Uke Can Change the World model, but I found a blue soprano Flea on Craigslist last night for $100, so I went for it. It's kind of a sparkly blue color and it's quite attractive. It came with a couple of Jumpin' Jim books too (60s and Cowboy). I need to restring it (I'm going with lime green Auroras), and it's going to take a little while to get used to the friction tuners, but I had fun playing it last night. I can't believe how small the body is--it will be perfect for a camping and knock-around uke, which is what I bought it for. I'll post a pic when I get it restrung.

Top Bottom