Kala KA-KC-CT or KA-KCE

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I was planning on buying a KA-KCE but I see that musicguymic prefers the KA-KC-CT.

Can someone tell me why the cedar is preferable to the koa? Is it due to the solid body over laminate?

I was leaning toward the electric/acoustic but if the cedar is that much better I don't have to go electric.

Solid tops win in blind taste tests 8 out of 10 times. ;) Laminate tops just aren't as loud or as resonant as solid tops are. If you don't have the opportunity to play them both side-by-side and compare, the cedar one is probably a safer bet.

i dont like both thoze ukes personally. if its gona b ur first uke get sumthn even cheaper that way when u ding it u wont cringe. I have a kala solid spruce top concert that sounds phenomenal! picked it up for only 140 from mgm. but u should try to get ur hands on a uke and try em out! where are u located?

edit- noticed ur in Pasadena! haha NICE a SOCALER! go to island bazar in HB! trout all the ukes and sizes c what fits you then go from there!

Like UkEdman90 said. Island Bazaar would be a good place to visit. Wide selection and VERY friendly service. You would probably find better prices on the net but being able to touch and test the uke before buying is well worth the extra $$$ (well at least for me).. :)

Wooohooo... Another Socalander

Thanks to those who gave advice to me in my attempt to decide between these two ukes. I really respect the fact that the cedar is solid body and sounds better, but when it came right down to it, I don't think I'm a good enough player for it to make enough of a difference to override my preference for the electric capability and the beauty of the koa wood, so I decided to order the KA KCE Kala through musicguymic today.

Perhaps if I practice enough, I'll merit getting a solid body one next...so I can actually do justice to the instrument. Who knows, maybe UAS will strike and I'll buy a Pono or another brand so I can build my collection beyond my little soprano and this upcoming concert Kala.

Thanks again for the advice, and also the tip to visit the uke shop in Huntington Beach. I'll definitely do that next time I visit the OC.:)

Top Bottom