Your Martin Wish List?

pdxuke

Reaction score
Okay Martin lovers, what's on your wish list, in two parts:

1. What would you like taht's currently available?

2. What would you like to see Martin build in the future?

I'll start:

I'd like to see more Mexican builds: how about a mahogany concert and tenor (this time with friction tuners on the concert please.)

I have my eye on the CK koa concert from Mexico. Also, I'd love one of these:

http://www.martinguitar.com/ukuleles/item/182-2k-uke.html

How about you?

To tell you the truth, I'm pretty darn happy with my S1. So, I'll take a 5K (I don't have to pay for this, right?) and then sell it and go vintage Martin shopping for some pristine 0s and 1s from the 20s-30s.

I think you need to ask UU to set up a subforum for Martin Ukes!! You can be the president!!

A Pdxukulele signature model that is made of bubinga, with a cocobollo fretboard and friction tuners with bloodwood buttons.

I don't know a lot about ukuleles, but why are Martins so popular and sought after?

I don't know a lot about ukuleles, but why are Martins so popular and sought after?

So many reasons, and I'm sure others can speak to this better than I can.

But in a traditional sense in the history of the ukulele boom in America, Martin was probably the gold standard of Mainland made ukuleles in the 20s-60s. Well made, and great sounding. The ukes from that era are some of the finest made string instruments of the era, IMHO.

I this last uke wave, Martin was slow to catch the wave. But after the slow start with the SO, their new builds have been superb, and many of us believe new Martin ukes to be very close to the old builds from that golden era.

I'm sure some of it is brand name, and heritage. And snake oil. And a bit of Barnum. But I'm a sucker for them. To me, they connect me with the musical past of this instrument which in America, is actually not that old--not even 100 years old yet. To be able to own instruments that reach back to the beginning of this phenomenon and trace the lineage forward is very exciting to me.

So, that's why I love them. The same reason, when I wanted to have a Koa uke from the Island, I instantly selected a pineapple Kamaka. They are wonderful instruments--plus, they have a history.

That's my reasons. I'm sure others will have equally interesting answers, which I look forward to reading, since--as you might have guessed--I not only like to buy and play Martins, I like to talk about them.

There are two reasons. Of course, the name is one. The other is that in the ukulele heyday, the Martin ukes were so good that even many Hawaiian players used them. Many vintage Martin ukes survive and can be acquired for (often enough) reasonable prices. They can be a good investment. And, play one of the good ones and you'll understand.

You people sure have got me fired up about Martins!! I came across a 50's tenor 1m with orig. case this summer and now I have an S-1 that I'll never sell and an OXK coming. I hope they don't come out with anything else, I'm running out of available cash. May have to trade the 50's tenor for a vintage soprano or sopranos!!!!

I'd like to see smaller size fret wire and 12 fret rosewood fretboards .

Last edited:
My 50's O should be here today! I'll have to see what's next. Oh, I sure would like a 60's D-28!!

Looks like lots of Martin dreams are of vintage instruments...or new instruments that replicate classics as closely as possible. The higher end of current production instruments cost too bloody much for most folks. The S-1 is the sweet spot for just about all players. It's great value for money. Bravo, Martin! Don't change a thing, unless it's to tweak the S-1.

I have the new 2K, it is magnificent with curly koa. I would love a new 12-fret mahogany soprano 2M.

Ideally, I'd like a 3K from the '20s. Realistically, I'd like a Style 0 from the '20s-'40s.

So many reasons, and I'm sure others can speak to this better than I can.

But in a traditional sense in the history of the ukulele boom in America, Martin was probably the gold standard of Mainland made ukuleles in the 20s-60s. Well made, and great sounding. The ukes from that era are some of the finest made string instruments of the era, IMHO.

Martin ukes have a cool history. They have made more ukulele's than probably any other company. One year, I believe in the 1920's they made around 15,000 ukuleles in one year. I thought I heard they made on average 8-10,000 ukes a year for a good 20 years! And most of them were amazing sounding. During the Great Depression the ukulele most likely saved them from going out of business.

Originally they built their ukes like mini guitars, and they sounded horrible, way overbuilt. Then they bought some Hawaiian ukes, mainly Kamaka's (from what I've heard) and figured out why they sounded so good. Then they took it a step further and arched the back of their ukes like they do their guitars. They are arched front to back and side to side. Which added to their sound.

Find a good vintage Martin uke and you'll be hooked and understand why there is a following. Play a GREAT sounding vintage Martin and it'll ruin you and the sound of all other ukes you play :)

Okay Martin lovers, what's on your wish list, in two parts:

1. What would you like taht's currently available?

I'll start:

I'd like to see more Mexican builds: how about a mahogany concert and tenor (this time with friction tuners on the concert please.)

I have my eye on the CK koa concert from Mexico. Also, I'd love one of these:

http://www.martinguitar.com/ukuleles/item/182-2k-uke.html

How about you?

1 - I have yet to play or own one of the modern Martin ukulele's but I am very anxious to do so. A modern Style 3 Mahogany or Koa would be great.....but I would be happy with trying the S1, OXK, or any of the US made sopranos. Really narrows is down huh :)
2 - How about Martin making a dreadnought soprano again?

I loved the OXK that came a cross my desk a while back. Wish they would have some fun with the body artwork since it is just printed, or make it so you could order a custom design

Y'all have said it well: all of my Martins, new and old, play great. But my '48 style 0 is something special. When I did the sound test it was the clear winner, and I agree. Funny how the stars align sometimes to produce something a step above. I wonder why that is? Why do they vary like that?

Top Bottom