Mya-Moe questions

Smalls

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know a few folks here have them, so I figured I'd ask. What was the build process like when you ordered your Mya Moe? It seems like they do a good of keeping you informed via the website. Do they stay pretty true to projected timelines? I know their build process is about 14 weeks, but how long was the wait to start yours? Also, I see they use a lot of woods I'm not used to (primarily a guitar player, if it isn't spruce, rosewood, or mahogany I don't know much about it!), how would you describe those? I have played a very nice Koa uke, but that's about it as far as a basis for comparison.
Basically, are they worth the hype? And I don't mean that in a negative way, just curious. Basically, I have to sell a fantastic uke, but if my tax return is what I think it will be I will hopefully be replacing it in the not too distant future! I've heard lots of good things about these, and like what I've seen, but I figured I'd get input from those who had first hand experience.

The Mya Moe folks are great to deal with - but I don't think the wait is 14 weeks. I've noticed that lately the build dates are in September. That's more like 36 weeks!

Hi Smalls
Welcome to UU!
Once they start a uke, it usually takes a month. They are very accurate on their estimate and very easy to work with. When I ordered mine it was in late September, and it was started early January and delivered at the beginning of February. Look at their website for sound samples of the different woods.
It might be a bit of a wait, but I have found that my UAS goes into remission when I have a custom uke in the works. Their workmanship is beautiful!

–Lori

Welcome to the Mya Moe addiction! It is a good one for sure.
OK- here on some facts on dealing with the company from my perspective (#822)
First- Gordon and Char will answer any questions you have, personally, in a prompt manner (like within 12 hours). They responded to countless emails from me before I even ordered...and once I did, well, they got a lot more emails. They are courteous, helpful and suggestive at all times.
Their build time is way out- longer than fourteen weeks, but they will walk you through the process 100%. If you have questions about a sound, or about a wood, go ahead and fire them off, they will respond. They have videos that deal with tonal qualities of the wood, and they have shop stuff on youtube that will walk you through the process.
Listen to the sounds, select, and they will find the wood you want, and send you pictures. They will send a picture a day of the progress, and after the build is over, they will still be there for you if you need something, and will always be a grateful audience if you would like to play them a song.
Here is the deal. Gordon, Char, and Aaron want to build you YOUR Ukulele, and will go to great lengths to do so. I fudged for a year about the money, and now figure there is no way they could profit from what I got. They have a video that explains how they feel when someone sells their Mya Moe, because they are attached to the customer, the process and the uke that leaves.
Lastly- yes, your uke will be done when they say it will be done.
Yeah- I am a fan. Hype? Well, if you like what they make...not at all. Fantastic folks to work with all around.

I'm lucky to have begun the early processes of my cutaway tenor.. I configured it online and immediately got a confirmation email (not an automated response) from Char, followed up with a link to their actual wood samples for me to choose from... below are the initial specs they sent for my build...some things might change... any input about my uke is appreciated..

Serial Number: 1055
Name on Inside Label: xxx
Size: Tenor
Model: Cutaway Classic
Back & Side Wood: Master Grade Chocolate Heart Mango
Top Wood: Master Grade Chocolate Heart Mango
Body Binding: Ebony
Fretboard Binding: Ebony
Rosette: Abalone rosette
Headplate: Solid Wood Headplate to Match Body
Neck: Mahogany
Fretboard: Ebony
Fretboard Face Markers: Abalone
Bridge: Ebony
Tuners: Slotted Headstock with Schertler tuners
Finish: Hand-rubbed oil finish
End Pin/Pickup: MiSi with LR Baggs undersaddle pickup
Fourth String: Wound Low-G
Includes strap buttons & premium hard case
Shipping: UPS Ground

Start Date: 4/30/2013
Estimated String Date: 5/22/2013
Committed String Date: 5/22/2013

I'm lucky to have begun the early processes of my cutaway tenor.. I configured it online and immediately got a confirmation email (not an automated response) from Char, followed up with a link to their actual wood samples for me to choose from... below are the initial specs they sent for my build...some things might change... any input about my uke is appreciated..

Serial Number: 1055
Name on Inside Label: xxx
Size: Tenor
Model: Cutaway Classic
Back & Side Wood: Master Grade Chocolate Heart Mango
Top Wood: Master Grade Chocolate Heart Mango
Body Binding: Ebony
Fretboard Binding: Ebony
Rosette: Abalone rosette
Headplate: Solid Wood Headplate to Match Body
Neck: Mahogany
Fretboard: Ebony
Fretboard Face Markers: Abalone
Bridge: Ebony
Tuners: Slotted Headstock with Schertler tuners
Finish: Hand-rubbed oil finish
End Pin/Pickup: MiSi with LR Baggs undersaddle pickup
Fourth String: Wound Low-G
Includes strap buttons & premium hard case
Shipping: UPS Ground

Start Date: 4/30/2013
Estimated String Date: 5/22/2013
Committed String Date: 5/22/2013

Lovely, Tail. The cutaway and slotted head -- it'll be a stunner. Only because you asked for suggestions, If it were me--and it's not me, it's you-- rather than ebony fretboard and binding, I'd have a contrasting fretboard binding, like Mango ( if offered), espec. since you're getting the matching head plate ( which I have ordered on my next Mya Moe too) and will have ebony body binding. Otherwise, I'd drop the fretboard binding altogether ( and save fifty bucks) as the fret ends will be like glass from MM anyhow, and if I needed to repair or replace a fret someday, it would be much easier without a binding (even Gordon says this in one of his videos).

Smalls, my mya moe tradition tenor is in the middle of the build process right now! I agree with what others have said. Also, the Tradition saves quite a bit if money over the Classic model, and as Gordon says on his website and in his video, the build quality and sound is the same...just as much care is in the Tradition models. So, if budget is tight, or you prefer a less blingy uke, think Tradition, Smalls.

Last edited:
Lovely, Tail. The cutaway and slotted head -- it'll be a stunner. Only because you asked for suggestions, If it were me--and it's not me, it's you-- rather than ebony fretboard and binding, I'd have a contrasting fretboard binding, like Mango ( if offered), espec. since you're getting the matching head plate ( which I have ordered on my next Mya Moe too) and will have ebony body binding. Otherwise, I'd drop the fretboard binding altogether ( and save fifty bucks) as the fret ends will be like glass from MM anyhow, and if I needed to repair or replace a fret someday, it would be much easier without a binding (even Gordon says this in one of his videos). QUOTE]

no, thanks for your suggestion.. I'll go look at some examples.. I have to say their website is the bomb for info, options, tips, pics and more..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H00zibmqdPE

Tailgate. More infor from "the man'!

There was a thread on fret bindings on UU about six months ago, and some liked it, some not. Highest grade instruments sometimes don;t have it (eg Kiwaya Master Series), some do. Point in that thread, though, is if yuo need fret work, they have to take off the binding to get at the fret ends, or replace the fret, making additinoal work, additional charge, and sometimes hard to match the biding again with what is already there (like replacing a floor tile and now it and the grout do not match). If it were me, I don;t know if i'd get it in the first place, but I know I wouldn't get it if it will be the same color as the fretboard and nearly invisible.

Smalls--be sure to sub to Mya Moe Utube channel...and Gordon and Char answer many common questions, including ordering process, in videos from 2012.

Last edited:
The Mya-Moe experience is phenominal from start to finish.
Char & Gordon & Aaron are there with you every step of the way.
Char has a great artistic sense and can guide you toward a beautiful instrument.
I am fortunate to have two MM's, the wait is much longer now then when I ordered mine.
The instruments play so well and sound good. Gordon has always been there to assist in string questions (actually all questions)
to help me get the sound I want from the ukulele.

My Mya-Moe experience was as great as every one else's posted here. The wait is long but worth it. If you reserve your build date with a $300 deposit, you can save up the rest during the wait. Or, there are two beautiful instruments available now on their site. Good luck!

Sorry i have a different point of view on this subject
I think the sound and build quality more important than watching a ukulele being built on a website

does Myamoe show any of their ukuleles at ukulele shops on the West Coast or Hawaii? watching a ukulele being played on a website does not show it's true sound

i have had very bad dealings with other types of internet purchases and i would like to play and see an expensive ukulele before i buy it

Last edited:
Sorry i have a different point of view on this subject
I think the sound and build quality more important than watching a ukulele being built on a website

does Myamoe show any of their ukuleles at ukulele shops on the West Coast or Hawaii? watching a ukulele being played on a website does not show it's true sound

i have had very bad dealings with other types of internet purchases and i would like to play and see an expensive ukulele before i buy it

Mya-Moes are not sold in stores, to my knowledge. However, Gordon and Char travel to a number of ukulele festivals every year, including the Reno Ukulele Festival in mid-April and the Wine Country Ukulele Festival in St. Helena, CA, the weekend after Labor Day, and they bring ukuleles with them for people to play and buy. You can email Gordon to get MM's ukulele festival schedule. In addition, there's a feature on the MM website that indicates where MM owners are located, and you might be able to find an already-owned MM to try out in the area where you live. If you go to organized ukulele events, like festivals or meetups, you may see a MM uke even if Gordon and Char are not there. I often bring one of my MMs to my every-other-week ukulele meetup group, and I've let other people play it.

One note of caution: MM ukuleles are generally made-to-order. Unless you're buying a premade MM ukulele from MM at an ukulele festival or from a private party who lets you play it first, you're unlikely to be able to play the actual instrument you're going to buy before you commit (i.e., make a deposit). This is generally true for all customs. However, most luthiers will offer to take an ukulele back if you don't like it or to work with you to get it right. Contact Gordon and Char to see what their customer satisfaction policy is.

Mya-Moes are not sold in stores, to my knowledge. However, Gordon and Char travel to a number of ukulele festivals every year, including the Reno Ukulele Festival in mid-April and the Wine Country Ukulele Festival in St. Helena, CA, the weekend after Labor Day, and they bring ukuleles with them for people to play and buy. You can email Gordon to get MM's ukulele festival schedule. In addition, there's a feature on the MM website that indicates where MM owners are located, and you might be able to find an already-owned MM to try out in the area where you live. If you go to organized ukulele events, like festivals or meetups, you may see a MM uke even if Gordon and Char are not there. I often bring one of my MMs to my every-other-week ukulele meetup group, and I've let other people play it.

One note of caution: MM ukuleles are generally made-to-order. Unless you're buying a premade MM ukulele from MM at an ukulele festival or from a private party who lets you play it first, you're unlikely to be able to play the actual instrument you're going to buy before you commit (i.e., make a deposit). This is generally true for all customs. However, most luthiers will offer to take an ukulele back if you don't like it or to work with you to get it right. Contact Gordon and Char to see what their customer satisfaction policy is.

Thank You for the info

yes i understand that myamoe is a custom ukulele shop i wanted to see how their ukulels look in general,the fit and finish and the sound too.
my son has many great customs ukuleles but for some reason not a fan of myamoe no details but did not one for Xmas
he is still deciding between a Devine,Moore Bettah,Compass Rose or R.Schoernbrand
is there a ukulele festival in Las Vegas? does myamoe go to the Hawaii ukulele festival?
again thanks for you help

The biggest of the ukulele festivals in Hawaii is the Oahu Ukulele Festival in Waikiki in July, and MM is not listed as a sponsor for the 2012 festival. MM was not at the 2012 Maui festival, which I attended. I think the easiest thing to do would be to email MM and ask about their festival appearance schedule. I only know about the Reno and Wine Country festivals, but there may be others on the west coast.

I see Chuck Moore,Rick Turner and Eric Devine on this site does Myamoe ever come on the forum?

Top Bottom