Slack key vs standard tuning - effect on string from regular tension changes?

Ben_H

Reaction score
Well, that was hard to put as a thread title.

What I mean is that I'm currently alternating between slack key DGBD and more regular DGBE tuning on my Baritone. I'm curious as to what effect, if any this has on the life expectancy of the string and it's tonal qualities.

I know it's only a tone change but does that cause a problem?

I have one of my Bari's set up the same way and haven't noticed any difference in string life, but then it may be because I don't practice often enough! I think that one has Aquila's on it and they've held up well

Well, that was hard to put as a thread title.

What I mean is that I'm currently alternating between slack key DGBD and more regular DGBE tuning on my Baritone. I'm curious as to what effect, if any this has on the life expectancy of the string and it's tonal qualities.

I know it's only a tone change but does that cause a problem?

There is no problem. I often take all the strings up one tone (to D tuning) and back down again. Even if it were to weaken the string a little, it is only a string.

Varying from GCEA on one and DGBE on another, with the first reentrant and the second linear, there seems to be only one noticeable effect on the strings which are changed. GCED or FCFA ----DGBD or CGCE, the slacked string will tend to go sharp to it's original tension. It's a form of string memory. I have had no breaks. Both get changed several times in a session. There are two side issues. People around you will try to cue you that you are playing a wrong chord..some not so subtlely, or they will turn so they can't see where you have your fingers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom