Production stills of a mahogany tenor uke by Roger Skipper

gsnelson

Reaction score
Here is a brief YouTube that puts together the construction shots that the builder provides to his customer as the work proceeds. The shots are accompanied by the uke in finished form being played by Andrew Nelson, who arranged the tune and created the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zegEP9RApzQ

Looks like a nice uke. The headstock proportions look a bit funny to me but the inlay is nice.

Thanks for your comment. Just what I was looking for. It is interesting to me because I have been thinking along those lines. Could you say more? I would be grateful. Too short, too long, too narrow, too wide? The angle in the picture foreshortens it, so I have attached a rear shot and a head-on of the earlier and fancier models. The shape is the same.

Back of headstock.jpgFront of headstocks.jpg

Too wide and it flair's out too much. The slot head tuners force the width, but most of the slotted head stocks I like have more parallel slots.
That would give you less room for the nice inlay though :(

Too wide and it flair's out too much. The slot head tuners force the width, but most of the slotted head stocks I like have more parallel slots.

i agree it looks to short and wide and since you asking i'll give you my opinion but the inlay looks very nice

I agree with that..also i like to see the headstock taper above the nut for about an inch or so before it starts to flare out co's it can be uncomfortable trying to play some chords on the first frets with the headstock and tuners getting in the way.:(
Here is an example I found on the web of the way I like e'm.:)
glyph.jpg

Thanks guys. I agree about the length. I will ask Roger to change the design of the headstock to move the tuners away from the nut. I think that will be a nice change.

I guess the response about lack of refinement was for this instrument and not the many others on the website. Please have a look at the headstock in the link below --this is typical of Roger's work. Thanks!

Skipper-inlay.jpg

Thanks guys. I agree about the length. I will ask Roger to change the design of the headstock to move the tuners away from the nut. I think that will be a nice change.

I guess the response about lack of refinement was for this instrument and not the many others on the website. Please have a look at the headstock in the link below --this is typical of Roger's work. Thanks!

View attachment 47441

Much nicer!! I couldn't really tell what the other design was

Oooh, pretty!!!!

Top Bottom