3 Ukes in less than 3 weeks

bildio

Reaction score
I got my first uke, a satin Pono acacia tenor from Uke Republic, on December 26th. I like it a lot. However, I was curious about the concert size & mahogany sound. So, on Monday I ordered a Pono MCD from HMS which was delivered today. I was also curious about the soprano size, so I ordered a Makala Dolphin bridge uke (setup by Uke Republic with Aquila strings) which was also delivered today.

My favorite is the concert. It sounds best to me, & it has the most comfortable left hand fingering of the three sizes. It's very nice looking too.

I got an orange Dolphin. Before I saw it, I was concerned that the color might be "overwhelming", but it's a beautiful, pleasant looking orange. It sounds nice, but is a little too small for me as a beginner & unlike the tenor & concert, will take some time to get comfortable with.

I have no plans to get any more ukes :), except I'm developing a curiosity about the baritone.

The UAS force is strong with this one... ;-) Who am I to talk right? LOL

Sorry my friend, you will get more.....UAS has taken hold! My crystal ball sees a KoAloha concert in your future.....

You will, tho, you will. it is your DES-TI-NY.....

You are not complete without a baritone. And a pocket uke. And a super soprano. And a tenor-neck soprano. And a super concert. And five or six more Dolphins. And a Blackbird. :D:D

Oh yeah, you'll pick up a few. I was naive once just like you and said to the warden, "No babe, I'm getting one of each and that's it. Why would I need more than that?" That was back in October when I bought my first uke. 3 months and several ukes later...

You are not complete without a baritone. And a pocket uke. And a super soprano. And a tenor-neck soprano. And a super concert. And five or six more Dolphins. And a Blackbird. :D:D

And a banjolele.

Welcome to my world! What is it with ukuleles? UAS seems to be even worse than GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). I want to stop, I really do, but there's always one more out there that's just in reach! I'm contemplating #6 as we speak. I need to stop and be satisfied with what I have, but they're just so intoxicating! :D

See....we are here to help, three is just scratching the surface.

Not to mention all the different vintage ukuleles you need......

And more types of wood too!

Don't forget the woods sound so different. We got a mahogany tenor from HMS and an okoume tenor at the same time. So different and both wonderful. And you need high G and low G and then different types of strings to test to find the best sounds on the different wood (koa, acacia, cedar top, spruce top...)

;)

Oh.. Wait. Fluke, pineapple, bell...

Ugh. Martin in cherry.

Sigh. The wish list never ends. :)

Last edited:
More ukes, you will. — Yoda

That's just the start, I hate to say...get some here....I won't mention names who are light years ahead of you LOL I mean even worse than me....ha ha

I think I've found my home! UAS 'r' US.

And I thought I was over the top. I bought a Mahalo, yellow with a smiley face & two soundholes as eyes, as a joke present for his birthday. I figured if he didn't like it I could fool around with it. He loved it! Not to play really, it just amused him. I switched it to left-handed for him. I realised I had been looking forward to playing it, so I bought myself a tenor on ebay. After about 3 weeks I've ordered a concert size. That hasn't even left HMS yet, and I'm thinking I really would like to try a Ubass. And you have to remember, I'm a complete newbie who can play about a dozen chords without looking at a chart.

I like UU - I feel right at home with people who just 'have to have...'.

The OP has UAS in a bad way! Maybe we should find him some UA meetings. :)

As you can see....resistance is futile...I've had 7 of them in about 2 years...argh!!!

Top Bottom