Luna uke compared to a mainland

Saints1234

Reaction score
I have just come across a Luna online that retails for $540 but now selling for $300. It's the all solid koa orchid model with inlays and all. It comes with a pickup as well which is great!

So I'm wondering how this luna compares to a mainland red cedar/rosewood concert uke.

Thanks!

There's no comparison, Saints.

Mainland has hoosierhiver on UU, the papa Koaloha of Indiana, who is liked by everyone, and can answer your questions about Mainland ukes, as well as being the generous host of the biggest ukulele gathering this side of the Nile River, called UWC.

I've not seen the woman that owns Luna on here. Not even once.

Yupp I am all for Mike and Mainland ukes too..

However I was at HMS and tried a new model lower priced line Luna and I was very impressed..they have come along way to impress me, but then HMS does good setup to them too..

Notwithstanding differences of build quality, they're going to sound substantially different because of the tonewoods. The cedar's going to have a brighter, punchier tone than the mellower koa.

The only video I could find of the Luna was from Hawaii Music Supply. Those guys make every uke sound fantastic. You can find tons of videos of Mainland cedar-top ukes on the 'Tube for comparison.

BTW - $300-350 seems to be the going retail rate for that Luna. I doubt it ever sold for it's "retail" price. It's not some kind of great bargain.

I have just come across a Luna online that retails for $540 but now selling for $300. It's the all solid koa orchid model with inlays and all. It comes with a pickup as well which is great!

So I'm wondering how this luna compares to a mainland red cedar/rosewood concert uke.

Thanks!
For just over 400 bucks now on UU Marketplace, you can get a hand made, solid wood MP Ukulele tenor that is created individually by a respected luthier, one at a time, in California, used gently, that sells for $1000 if MP Ukes made it new for you.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...Mike-Pereria-Cedar-Mahogany-Style-2-Tenor-425

A review of one like it, but more bling, tells you about the luthier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn9wLXbN8gY

Interview with the luthier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCmMwkvW9_k

Just saying, for your price or a tad more, bargains on very expensive ukes are available all the time.

Last edited:
Between the 2 choices I would go Mainland Cedar/Rosewood hands down. It is just a super tonewood combination and I like the build a lot. Light feel to the uke and the sound is resonant, loud, and full. Just personal opinion and preferance. I am a cedar fan.

My first uke was a Luna concert. I can't remember the model now but, I think it was the Tattoo. Anyway, it was under a hundred dollars and I can honestly say I was impressed with the sound. Their ukes seem to have some kind of mojo. The action was a little on the high side. I didn't know about HMS then or any of the other retailers that do setups otherwise, I would have purchased it from them. I don't have any experience with Mainland.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Luna are great value for what they are.

However, you can't compare it to the attention-to-detail, warm personal service and build quality of a Mainland.

Mainland all the way for me the build quality and tone also the punch you get from the cedar, the red cedar is a classic

Top Bottom