CrossRock Fiberglass uke case ?

KentSantaBarbara

Reaction score
Has anyone tried out one of these, CrossRock ukulele cases? Here's a link to the ones at Elderly http://elderly.com/accessories/items/U1000C2.htm
The reason I'm asking is i would like something relatively bombproof for my Kanilea that has a shoulder strap. The CrossRock also has an internal compartment for a few necessities. These are my basic requirements for a case.

I've read about the Kamoa fiberglass cases. There was talk about the Kamoa scratching easily. And the Kamoa didn't have the internal compartment for tuner, etc.

The semi-soft sided cases, i'm not interested in either. I need something that is not too heavy or boxy, that will travel well. Something i can put in the overhead of the airline and not worry (freak out) when there is a football player trying to jam his carry-on luggage in the overhead space that my ukulele didn't take up.

Any word if the CrossRock scratch easily?

Last edited:
I would like to know about these as well. I have three of the Kamoa cases, and love them dearly for their light weight and backpack straps, but my red one is pretty scraped up. I have a soft sided bag I made for my custom turquoise Kamoa to keep it nice but would prefer not to have to travel with that.

And the lack of a compartment is not a deal breaker for me since I usually have a purse or shoulder bag, but I am pleased to see the compartment on these.

The only advantage I can see the Kamoa has over it (and this is just me, others may not care at all), is I like that the Kamoa backpack rings are on the back. Here, they are on the side of the case.

Though your link did not work - it was for a Maui vacation rental.

This is a link to one of them on Elderly: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/U1000C3-GREY.htm

Last edited:
I actually just bought one of the Crossrock cases, but not a fiberglass one. It's one of the ABS/Polycarbonate ones. Unlike the all-ABS ones, which have a sort of satin texture to them, the ABS/Polycarbonate case has a smooth glossy finish similar to fiberglass. In fact, if I saw this case out of context, I would assume it was fiberglass. It's a very well-made and very attractive case. However, it does not not have a shoulder strap, or any rings for adding a shoulder strap (which is a strange oversight, but there you go).

I actually just bought one of the Crossrock cases, but not a fiberglass one. It's one of the ABS/Polycarbonate ones. Unlike the all-ABS ones, which have a sort of satin texture to them, the ABS/Polycarbonate case has a smooth glossy finish similar to fiberglass. In fact, if I saw this case out of context, I would assume it was fiberglass. It's a very well-made and very attractive case. However, it does not not have a shoulder strap, or any rings for adding a shoulder strap (which is a strange oversight, but there you go).

Hey Rich,
I've been looking at those for a new tenor. How is the padding and the interior? Any nasty toxic smell gassing off from the case. Thanks for the info.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006AZ3W0Y/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

I just got this ABS one in the mail this week from Amazon retailer. It looks great, but is cheaply built. It has a handle that is already with a gap between it and the body of the case. It is plush but most normal sopranos (like my Martin) are swimming inside, with extra space in all areas....looks like they made it extra big to accommodate all ukes, rather than proper size for most and risk getting some returns on larger sopranos. For instance, my MP soprano is with an atypical three inch depth body, and it still fits in this case.

It's feet are molded rather than separately applied, and the material exoskeleton, although pretty to the eye, seems rough and that it will, in time, wear. The clasps are two, not three, and are very lightweight pressed metal...should one fail, and I feel it might, then the case would hang open slightly as there's no third clasp.

No gassing off. It's best feature is that it looks good for the price and doesn't stink. Lol.

Wickedwahine knows Armitage cases... This Crossrock is much less expensive, and feels like it. Its not in the same ballpark as Armitage. Armitage is great, except for weight. It's nowhere near as good as, for instance, a Fremont rectangular case like at Elderly music for 80 bucks. And, if cost wasn't an issue, the Reunion Blues endoskeletal gig bag at 129 dollars is much better in every way ( storage space, etc). Finally, my Martin soprano comes with an ABS case frm Martin...it's 115 at Elderly, and is much more solid and clean and well built than this Crossrock case. I would never check this Cross Rock case at an airport. Ever. Will I return the ABS Criossrock? No, because it fits my atypically large MP Soprano. I'll use it to gently tote the uke to the park and such. That's about it, and even t hen, I think eventually it'll break. The hinges, clasps and handle are just plain weak.

In the end, you get what you pay for...I own all of the cases I reference above. If I had to buy this case again, I'd add ten dollars and get another Fremont rectangular case. It's just plain better. Ymmv. I know there are other Crossrock cases, more expensive, but they may be as weakly built and only with better body material...I'd not risk it.

Last edited:
Hey Rich,
I've been looking at those for a new tenor. How is the padding and the interior? Any nasty toxic smell gassing off from the case. Thanks for the info.

The padding and the interior are nicely done. The uke I'm putting in it is a bit of a snug fit, but it's a custom and may be slight larger than a typical concert uke. Otherwise, the interior is clean, well padded and well-supported. There is a slight glue odor, but nothing like the heavy chemical smell that came withmy last ABS case that required about three days with the case open to dissipate (although I really love that case, too, now that the odor is gone).

My experience is very different from coolkayaker's, but we didn't get the same case; he got a soprano ABS and I got a concert ABS/polycarbonate--it's possible they are built differently. My case is strong, tightly built with no gaps, has three strong latches, and fits my uke well. The feet are, in fact, molded.

Would I check it as luggage? Of course not--no case gives sufficient protection against baggage handlers. $500 cases like Caltons give you a fighting shot, but no $80 case will give you that kind of protection. But unless you're flying in a Sopwith Camel, you're going to be able to carry it on, so not even a consideration for me.

For the price paid, I'm very happy with this case; YMMV, so judge for yourself.

Yes I totally agree, I would like to know about these as well. I have three of the Kamoa cases, and love them dearly for their light weight and backpack straps, but my red one is pretty scraped up. I have a soft sided bag I made for my custom turquoise Kamoa to keep it nice but would prefer not to have to travel with that.

We recently got a lot of Crossrock cases. Very nice. Only problem is with tenors in that 1000 series. They don't fit about any tenor except for a few smaller body ones by budget brands. No K brand or custom I tried, not pono and just about any tenor we carry. none fit without some real force which causes the sides to push out and misalignment. All their other cases so far fit beautifully. But Ken at Crossrock is helping us figure it out. Just thought it should be said to possibly save someone a hassle. If this is corrected I will repost here or correct this one.

I should add, they look so good I almost want to build something to fit-
crossrock-1.jpg

We recently got a lot of Crossrock cases. Very nice. Only problem is with tenors in that 1000 series. They don't fit about any tenor except for a few smaller body ones by budget brands. No K brand or custom I tried, not pono and just about any tenor we carry. none fit without some real force which causes the sides to push out and misalignment. All their other cases so far fit beautifully. But Ken at Crossrock is helping us figure it out. Just thought it should be said to possibly save someone a hassle. If this is corrected I will repost here or correct this one.

Thank you for telling us this. Will save everybody trouble.

I got one of these from Elderly and am really happy with it. It's light, strong and good looking and fits both my Martin and Kamaka tenors. The gloss finish does scratch easily though, if that would bother you. Here are some pictures:

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

I love my new Crossrock CRA900UTU tenor case (polycarbonate). It is light weight and fits my DaSilva tenor (and Kala) perfectly. It also has 4 clasps with one on the back between the hinges (one also locks). It is hard to find on the internet but I got mine from a local music store.

We recently got a lot of Crossrock cases. Very nice. Only problem is with tenors in that 1000 series. They don't fit about any tenor except for a few smaller body ones by budget brands. If this is corrected I will repost here or correct this one.

Wanted to mention that the new shipment of tenor cases was adjusted and they will fit any tenor, pretty much. I should get some LFDM ukes in the next few days too so I can tell you on that soon as well..

Wanted to mention that the new shipment of tenor cases was adjusted and they will fit any tenor, pretty much. I should get some LFDM ukes in the next few days too so I can tell you on that soon as well..

Do you know whether Crossrock (or anyone else) makes a fiberglass case that would fit a baritone ukulele? Thanks!

as long as were talking different options... when i got my tenor i couldn't find a hard case in the store and was about to give up. i saw a case in the corner and figured they just forgot to show me that one. when i put my tenor in it the fit was almost perfect, it's not snug but with very little wiggle room. the case is for a mandolin by road-runner. it's made of ABS and has a nice interior with a compartment for odds and ends. it's very well made but cost $109. i don't know how well they would take abuse but i can stand on it with no harm, i'm not going to jump up and down though. my next case i think would be the ABS/polycarbonate one mentioned above.

That crossrock looks like it has a plastic rim around it to seal it - I have one with an aluminum ring (like the old martin guitar cases) and it's an instrument killer- any little slip while putting it away and you have another case ding. I demoted it to holding a cheap uke and I'm putting my better uke in a reunion blues. No more case dings for that uke anyway.

i have the fiberglass version. very light , looks very high quality, fits my Kanilea Tenor and Risa Les paul tenor . very soft interior. best case I have so far.

Top Bottom