2 3 or 4 foot bridge for banjolele?

banjolelebsi

Reaction score
hi all

as the title says, what do you guys think gives the best tone to a banjolele?

Regards

Simon

Well, do "tone" and "banjolele" belong in the same sentence? :)

Just kidding, but there is no one answer. It will likely depend very much on the exact instrument...size of the head, composition of the head, the amount of down pressure, etc. I'd just make and try several. BTW, you want to see a cool banjo bridge, check out the Pete Seeger style:

http://banjobridge.com/stu.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gkprOVqjwA

When I saw the Title of this thead..I thought "wow! thats massive" is this going to be a structure for an exhibition or some thing huge like that.

With my first few banjo ukes I built about 15 bridges just to see what differences do what. It doesn't take long or use much wood. See what works with your instruments.

I play five string and uke banjos. I get my best results with two footed bridges on my banjoleles. A general recommendation among banjoist (see web site "The Banjo Hangout") is that nylon or gut strings require a bridge of less mass because they can't drive the bridge like steel strings. I have three footed bridges on my five strings because of the need for mass and to prevent center sagging of the bridge. The minimal tension of nylon strings will hardly cause bridge sag.

I play five string and uke banjos. I get my best results with two footed bridges on my banjoleles. A general recommendation among banjoist (see web site "The Banjo Hangout") is that nylon or gut strings require a bridge of less mass because they can't drive the bridge like steel strings. I have three footed bridges on my five strings because of the need for mass and to prevent center sagging of the bridge. The minimal tension of nylon strings will hardly cause bridge sag.
This fits in with advice I've been given by folk in the George Formby Society, real experienced banjolele owners and players - a maple bridge with two feet and ebony-tipped.

Top Bottom