Tecumseh Valley - Townes Van Zandt cover

Wow! Super job on this!

John

Thanks very much, everyone, for all the kind words - I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out. I first heard this song on Nanci Griffith's record of covers 'Other Voices, Other Rooms' - a very influential record for me growing up. Introduced me to TVZ and other artists as a teenager - full of amazing songs..... I tried to figure out the Travis picking for one of TVZ's live performances of this one a while back - this week's Season was a great motivator to go back and get it done.....

Thanks very much, everyone, for all the kind words - I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out. I first heard this song on Nanci Griffith's record of covers 'Other Voices, Other Rooms' - a very influential record for me growing up. Introduced me to TVZ and other artists as a teenager - full of amazing songs..... I tried to figure out the Travis picking for one of TVZ's live performances of this one a while back - this week's Season was a great motivator to go back and get it done.....

That's a great song, and that's exactly where I first heard it too. Nice job. I love Steve Earle's quote about TVZ: "I'd stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots to shout that Townes Van Zandt was the greatest songwriter ever." (or something to that effect). I'm not sure that I'd say he was better than Dylan, but he's one of the things that makes me proud to have been born in Texas!

thanks, folks - glad y'all are enjoying it......

Chris - that Nanci Griffith record had a pretty profound impact on my 17 year old brain...... couldn't stop listening to it - turned me on to Woody Guthrie, TVZ, Gordon Lightfoot, John Prine, Jerry Jeff Walker - people that are some of my favorite songwriters. And I love that Steve Earle quote..... Dyaln might have written more songs, but I think they're right up there together on quality.....

Gotta love TVZ. Great rendition, Bill!

I really like it 23skidoo. You are one of the reasons I like to see people multitrack. There are times when a ukulele and a singer are just fine but, then some songs just beg for more. That was a super performance, in my opinion. You keep the bar raised high and show the rest of us what is possible.:D

Beautifully done. Also, wanted to let you know I've been working on "Buckets of Rain" from your tab. Thanks for everything you contribute!

many thanks poots, Jon, & Gary - I figured this one out on guitar, working from this version. Whenever I listen to it, I always sing along with the high harmony - thought it would work well with the ukulele doing a mandolin sort of thing..... didn't really rehearse anything with the ukulele, just played through it a bunch of times till I improvised something all the way through without making too many big mistakes....

Beautifully done. Also, wanted to let you know I've been working on "Buckets of Rain" from your tab. Thanks for everything you contribute!

thanks, rocko - glad you're enjoying the tab.... it's a beautiful tune, lots of fun to play.....

Top Bottom