Strumming Critique please

LutzSpearo

Reaction score
Hi. I have been playing the ukulele now for about two weeks, and never played an instrument before. I have noticed when I (try) to play a song, that my strums are not consistent. To me, it sounds like I am not strumming evenly across the four strings each and every time. Most videos on strumming that I've found just say "point to you then point to the ground" but I imagine there is more technique involved than that. I have included a video to demonstrate the issue, hopefully your ears can tune out the noise of a beginner and hear what I'm trying to explain.

Of course, any other advice is certainly welcomed. Thanks in advance!

http://youtu.be/mMBVwJmHeEQ

To embed a video, simply click the filmstrip icon and paste the link. -seeso

Last edited by a moderator:
the insolves

From the video, you sound very much like I do (which isn't surprising as I've only been going about two weeks so far) so it may just be a practice thing.

That said, I really struggled using my index finger and have developed the bad habit of using my thumb :confused:

Thanks for the reply, I certainly need to continue practicing. I am having lots of fun learning this though!

Not sure why, but my starting post of this thread is not visible anymore to me... I was editing it a lot trying to get the video to simply appear inside the thread instead of being a link, now I can't see any of it!

Don't see any video link. Strumming takes practice.....lots of tutorials on YouTube. Just search ukulele strumming. I perfected my techniques by muting the strings and strumming while watching tv. Go as slowly as you need to so you can strum correctly.

http://youtu.be/mMBVwJmHeEQ

Here's the link again, not sure why the original post of this thread is gone now.

Anyway, the gist of my original post was this: It sounds to me like when I strum, every strum doesn't sound the same. I'm not sure if I'm strumming unevenly across all four strings, or what. Most tutorials I've found are pretty basic, like "point to you, then point to the floor" kind of thing. I've only been playing for about 2 weeks, and this is my first time playing an instrument, so I know I need a lot of practice. I just want to be sure I'm practicing correctly and not doing something really wrong.

Any other pointers are welcomed as well!

sounds like your timing is out slow down and go for cleaner chord changes, you have the makings there with those chords somewhere over the rainbow, then speed up

I had an embedded video go missing after I edited a post too. I think there may be an extra layer of security for new posters. It reappeared later.

I think strumming is difficult too and am eagerly reading the advice the other folks are giving you.

You sound great. I recognized somewhere over the rainbow in those chords. This is one of the songs I'd like to learn too. Keep up the practicing!

Last edited:
Slow down, what's the rush? :)

I think you sound pretty good for only two weeks on your first instrument. Concentrate on smooth chord changes and perhaps take it a bit more slowly until you have it down and then take it up to speed (hard to do, I know). The best advice, though, is three words; practice, practice, and practice.

Top Bottom